What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made two batches of Aleppo Soap today for an event next Spring and a dozen Achy Breaky Balms for personal use and gifting. I've been having problems climbing stairs lately so I finally got around to making something just pour moi!

I had to pound on it until it broke away a bit, then cut off the bottom, then push it out of the cylinder. Since the mold was free, no big deal.

Next time what you can do it line the cylinder mold with a silicone mat.
They are really cheap on aliexpress. Cut it to size and slide it in so the edges just meet. If there is a little bit of a gap you can pare this down carefully with a knife. A gap is better than an overlap for finishing it. This will slide really easily.

Buy some PVC pipe and a lid that fits that you buy from the hardware shop. Or wrap the end in saran wrap and stuff the whole eind in a can that fits it exactly. Then line it. After the pour just pull off the can or lid.

I did... nothing today. I slept, and slept some more. This season always kicks my butt.

Tomorrow morning, I will make Christmas tree cupcakes. And, think about restocking a few soaps that are very close to needing to be restocked. Maybe tomorrow night. I made a couple loafs of a soap I have made dozens of times before last night. I usually hot process it, and this time I CPOPed it for the first time. I wanted a fancy top to dress it up a bit. 20 lbs of soap, and it overheated in the oven. I babysat that soap for half the night, but I got it to process. In retrospect, I need to reduce my sugar content with CPOP and run at a higher water discount. CP is just so much more finicky than hot process. I feel like I am learning how to make soap all over again.

One of those soaping nights. Good lord!

Seizing and super heat while trying to pour a layered 6 colour soap. The batter got so hot that my hands were sweating in my gloves. I'm amazed I got it into the mold at all. At least I didn't have to wait to add the piping LOL.

DH’s cousin’s family spent Thanksgiving at our place and cooked. *happy* After, I commandeered their teen daughter to pick out some fragrance/color combinations for me. Girl has a good nose and a nice sense for color. Might take her in as unpaid summer labor next year. ^_~

DH’s cousin’s family spent Thanksgiving at our place and cooked. *happy* After, I commandeered their teen daughter to pick out some fragrance/color combinations for me. Girl has a good nose and a nice sense for color. Might take her in as unpaid summer labor next year. ^_~

You mean as an apprentice? ;) After all, you'll be giving her the opportunity to learn a new skill.

I'm printing a widget to hold a loaf mold at an angle. It's got two angles built in, 45 and 30 degrees I believe. It's a scaled up version of a speaker holder I found on Thingiverse. The original size file isn't quite big enough for me to feel comfortable using it to hold a mold at an angle while I pour into it. The scaled up version will be a bit over 3 inches wide, almost six inches long, and just over two inches tall. Should hold my 750g/1000g loaf molds quite securely.

I'm printing a widget to hold a loaf mold at an angle. It's got two angles built in, 45 and 30 degrees I believe. It's a scaled up version of a speaker holder I found on Thingiverse. The original size file isn't quite big enough for me to feel comfortable using it to hold a mold at an angle while I pour into it. The scaled up version will be a bit over 3 inches wide, almost six inches long, and just over two inches tall. Should hold my 750g/1000g loaf molds quite securely.

Or you could do 2 - one for each end of the mold.

Made 64 Breathe Easy Shower Steamers today! I failed last year, and the year before. I guess the third try is a charm! Did a lot of research and took the best tips from half a dozen sources. Lo and behold, it worked. My new toy, a Moon Cake Press worked perfectly, and it was so much fun to pop those little 2-ounce hummers out.

Doin' the Happy Soapers Dance! happy-feet-penguin.gif

Finally accomplished some soaping! The hubs did not come help, but my 10 year old was more than willing. We made 4lbs of egg nog soap and (finally!) made the "Baked Potato" soap I have been dreaming of for 6 months. I added in egg nog to the first batch at 5% of my total recipe weight. It played beautifully with everything despite my concerns about the egg in it. The second batch was 50/50 leftover mashed potatoes and water and used cannabis FO (hence the "baked" part of the potato). It played really nice too. My daughter made a color change last minute on me - I had planned for just a nice white soap, but she wasn't having it. She pulled out some purple, blue, silver, and sparkly white micas and told me we were making "galaxy" soap. She took over the whole in the pot swirl. She's a bit of a genius, I think, because it turned out gorgeous! She wasn't a fan of the fragrance, though, lol. I am really curious to try this soap once cured. Potato soap may be a new niche for me.

My daughter has a partial scholarship to a local horse camp next summer, and she is really wanting to earn the money for the remainder of it herself. In October she designed a soap and used soap dough to make lollipop embellishments, and then she helped me make the soap part of it. I showed her how to figure out costs etc. so that we could price them. Tonight we will be making chocolate mint soap cookies as part of her fundraising endeavors. She has been working on cutting out green soap dough pieces in hearts and stars, and tonight we will make a chocolate mint soap base in a PVC cylinder. Tomorrow we should be able to cut them into nice slices and start placing the green pieces. Give her a few more years, and she may be some stiff competition for me. :D

^^^^^ WooHoo.gif What fun! I do believe your 10-year-old daughter has a bright future in design. Hang on for a wild ride, Mom!

Shipped 32 bars of Bible Soap to my wholesale customer yesterday. Made and shipped 32 bottles of Essential Lotion today, along with 2 dozen "Real Mint" Lip Lubes. That's the last of it for this season. Now I can relax. HAH!

^^^^^ View attachment 26773 What fun! I do believe your 10-year-old daughter has a bright future in design. Hang on for a wild ride, Mom!

Shipped 32 bars of Bible Soap to my wholesale customer yesterday. Made and shipped 32 bottles of Essential Lotion today, along with 2 dozen "Real Mint" Lip Lubes. That's the last of it for this season. Now I can relax. HAH!

For about one day, then you have to start prepping stock for Valentine's. :mrgreen:

Browsing for soap pics I found a page on Pinterest where the writer tells you to buy cheap dial soap and wrap it in brown paper on which you've printed a fake soap ompany name and fake ingredients then wrap some around it.

All this to cheaply decorate your bathroom!
Whatever next!
I'd be so embarrassed if someone desperate for soap caught me out in such a lie!

Latest posts

Back