What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I played a little with this new soap inventory tool created by Dean Wilson. I don't think I quite get how it's supposed to work yet... I have never used a tool like this before, so I can't really give you a review.

http://soapinventory.com
I subscribed as well bit haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I'm hoping once I can, it will work similarly to soap maker 3 and I won't have to buy it. $100 isn't a huge amount, but if I can get the same results for free or donation, I'm all for it!

The only soaperwoman YouTube channel I can find has just one upload from 3 years ago. Have you got a link?
Here is the link for one of her videos [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoWXj6oCFS0[/ame]
Sorry to say I am not real impressed with the info and methods she uses. Watch this one and you will see why I am not impressed. How to you measure lye directly into the water with no scale.....

I didn't see a scale either...so how...? But for any inexperienced soaper reading this - please disregard the notion that you shouldn't rinse lye beads from your skin with water. Do use water; cool running water. Do not use vinegar. I also have concerns about using a waxed paper carton as I wonder what a serious gel would do to it - and in general what if it leaks?

I got carried away prototyping a soap cutter to the point of crisis re various bodily functions, which prevented me from trying it out by the time it was finally eligible for use! A day old soap loaf awaits partition.

I had some drawer glides from a dismantled cabinet and thought I'd see if a sliding platform into a wire would make a decent slicer. I'll report back when I finally get to the fun part.

IMG_20171014_200458.jpg

Soaperwoman had the water container sitting on her small scale when she added the lye, it just doesn't show in the video -- watch when she moves the container without touching it after she starts mixing.

I've done that a lot, both for soap and at work for various things, but I've found that I cannot use stainless steel containers with my current digital scale -- as it heats up, the reading starts to drop due to some mechanical thing in the scale, so I've gone back to using separate containers.

Only real problem with weighing directly into the water is the potential for over-dosing the lye.

Today I tried a new fragrance called Blackberry Orange from Wellington Fragrances. Since they don't have a lot of reviews regarding vanillin content, ricing, etc., I added a little TD to my base so my colors (purple & orange) aren't as vibrant as I'd wanted but I'd rather have somewhat pastel colors than brown soap lol. The fragrance soaped beautifully, no noticeable browning so far & it smells awesome. I used activated charcoal & tried a pencil line for the first time too. Got a little charcoal in my orange batter but I'm ok with that. My loaf is insulated & resting now. I can't wait to get home from work tomorrow so I can unmold it.

I cut my chocolate mint soap. Smells so good I could eat it! [emoji16]

View attachment 26234
I love it! Such beautiful chocolate swirls!

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I tried a new fragrance called Blackberry Orange from Wellington Fragrances. Since they don't have a lot of reviews regarding vanillin content, ricing, etc., I added a little TD to my base so my colors (purple & orange) aren't as vibrant as I'd wanted but I'd rather have somewhat pastel colors than brown soap lol. My loaf is insulated & resting now. I can't wait to get home from work tomorrow so I can unmold it.

Sorry to say TD won't stop an FO with vanillin from turning the soap brown over the coming days. :cry: It's best to embrace the brown in your design or avoid the FO.

I tried my homemade prototype soap slicer and it was a total success!

The soap batch, an attempt at a 2-color bourbon and honey wall pour, was less successful than its cleavage. My batter got too thick too fast and my colors aren't distinct enough--but I'm still delighted since I'm a total beginner and it smells good and looks different and I learned stuff. Plus the gratifying cutting!

IMG_20171015_180824.jpg

IMG_20171015_180735.jpg

I tried my homemade prototype soap slicer and it was a total success!

The soap batch, an attempt at a 2-color bourbon and honey wall pour, was less successful than its cleavage. My batter got too thick too fast and my colors aren't distinct enough--but I'm still delighted since I'm a total beginner and it smells good and looks different and I learned stuff. Plus the gratifying cutting!

These look awesome! In the detail image I see a monochromatic tree, the darker part is the trunk and branches and the lighter part is the foliage.

Attempting another batch of Creamy liquid soap (IrishLass's one). So far it's way more hopeful than the last time I did it-doesn't smell like blehhhh so far. I think last time I may have overheated it... now I"m in the waiting stage.

Had some cool ice cube tray molds given to me, trying to figure out how I want to use them :).

Latest posts

Back