What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got accused of trying to steal 'business secrets' when I called to ask what was in a bar of soap I received as a present today! 'Everything is on the label'. Nope, the only thing on the cigar band is the store's name/location, the name of the soap, and a tagline. Oh, and 'all natural'. Of course.

Got accused of trying to steal 'business secrets' when I called to ask what was in a bar of soap I received as a present today! 'Everything is on the label'. Nope, the only thing on the cigar band is the store's name/location, the name of the soap, and a tagline. Oh, and 'all natural'. Of course.

Oh, good grief. Because, no one ever has questions about ingredients because of maybe allergies? Did they get you the ingredients info you asked for?

Is that the reasoning for not listing ingredients? So stupid.
We toured the US and of the MANY handmade soap I looked at over 50% didn't list ingredients so I didn't buy them (I'm allergic to a lot of stuff) and the rest had additives I avoid. So frustrating. I didn't buy one bar in the US!

We toured the US and of the MANY handmade soap I looked at over 50% didn't list ingredients so I didn't buy them (I'm allergic to a lot of stuff) and the rest had additives I avoid. So frustrating. I didn't buy one bar in the US!

Here in the US as long as the soap is not making any claims -other than it's soap (and syndet ingredients aren't used), the only labeling requirements are name of business/maker, address and net weight. You can even sell naked bars, as long as you include a card/something, with the required elements. Some people don't even include all that information...

I can see how that is frustrating.
I never make claims of my soap (cosmetic or otherwise - it's soap - it cleans), and don't I have any syndet ingredients in my soap, however, I ALWAYS list ingredients for the specific reason that people are allergic, or simply just prefer certain ingredients over others...

Even if I dont' have what they are looking for, if I know other soap makers that do, I'll direct the customers to the other soapmaker.
I don't understand the concept of "stealing" business - there is enough to go around for everyone.

Oh, good grief. Because, no one ever has questions about ingredients because of maybe allergies? Did they get you the ingredients info you asked for?

Sure didn't! I'm just trying to steal business, despite living in another state - they don't do online sales or anything, but still. At least I won't feel too bad tossing it in the back of my closet and not using it.

Last edited:
Wow, that doesn’t seem like a good business practice to me.

Today I made two batches of HP. One of them was scented with Pumpkin Pie FO and not colored. It’s going brown from the FO anyway. It also has heavy cream for half of the liquid. The other is colored with raspberry mica and scented with Cherry Almond FO from BB. This one has Coconut cream for half of the liquid. I did the fluid HP thing with Greek yogurt.

Well I was very unhappy how my koi turned out. So I had saved some soap to try the dough thing, and decided to decorate and paint them. They look a little better, still not 100% happy, but I guess it is, what it is.

20171011_220414_resized.jpg

Curious, are you allergic to olive oil? If you aren't I have soap for you, I make single oil 100% olive oil Castile for this exact reason--too many allergies!

Curious, are you allergic to olive oil? If you aren't I have soap for you, I make single oil 100% olive oil Castile for this exact reason--too many allergies!

I am allergic to a whole lot of stuff including coconut and many EOs.
My family has eczema so I make a pure Organic Castile too and high EVOO in other soaps. I love OO!

Hahahahaha! In a lovely ironic twist, the very first soap I made, that I wasn't all that impressed with... is turning out to be the clear favorite among the people trying out my soaps... That ugly, scratchy, rubbery soap riddled with big globs of stearic... MIL has even decreed that that's the one to make her nag champa soap with- minus the ground orange peel.

One of my absolute favorites is my fourth batch of soap. Didn't even keep the recipe. :headbanging:

That problem at least I won't have. I've got the recipes and sometimes extensive notes on every batch of soap I've ever made. I found this place, and the recommendation to keep notes, just before I actually took the plunge and mixed up my first batch.

That problem at least I won't have. I've got the recipes and sometimes extensive notes on every batch of soap I've ever made. I found this place, and the recommendation to keep notes, just before I actually took the plunge and mixed up my first batch.

I didn't realize how much a really long cure can change a soap, and it was only ok in the beginning. Some soaps that take 6+ months to feel good far outshine soaps made in the same time frame that were pretty good with a single month's cure. Lesson learned the long hard regretful way. Fortunately I was ashamed at the time that I got a partial gel, and kept the whole batch :)

I didn't realize how much a really long cure can change a soap, and it was only ok in the beginning. Some soaps that take 6+ months to feel good far outshine soaps made in the same time frame that were pretty good with a single month's cure. Lesson learned the long hard regretful way. Fortunately I was ashamed at the time that I got a partial gel, and kept the whole batch :)

I did this once and only once. I learned my lesson. That is so frustrating.

I have added some new videos to my youtube channel. Check out soaperwoman and subscribe.
Updated my website with a blog page. Go check it out everythingwonderfulsite.weebly.com You will also find info. on my other passion, scrapbooking. Updated my soaperwomansoaps Instagram account and have soap in my first store! yee ha!

I just made a two color mermaid soap and go figure, one of the micas went lighter, the other darker. Soap is so weird.

Hurt my back again decorating the yard for Halloween and decorated my house for the fall season. I am just about to stop soaping for the holiday season and concentrate on sales, namely craft fairs, so yes I am making labels day and night. November is going to be crazy.

Latest posts

Back