What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been harvesting and drying some organic herbs and flowers for infusions.

Calendula flowers and banksia roses today - they look so pretty together, all spread out for drying.

I know the roses will discolour, but I'm hoping a hint of scent will carry through into the final products.

Thank you Kittish! They are made the hot process way, not CP, so at the end I threw some fuchsia mica (on purpose), and just gave it a quick swirl, because I wanted them to have specs, as if it was laced.

Attempt #2 in the mold for this months challenge. Plus, I made a 4 lb loaf of Buttermilk Oatmeal Zinc soap, and a 4 lb loaf of laundry bars to make into powdered laundry soap later this week. Feels so good!

Did my first attempt at the tall and skinny shimmy technique. Will cut it tonight and cannot wait to see how it came out. I can't imagine what it'll look like

today i finally got around to making my tumeric argan shea butter facial soap, some christmas sleighs and some little snowmen.
How about a pic.gif

I made Songwind's shaving soap! 200g batch, 43% coconut oil, 52% stearic acid, and added 5% shea butter after the cook as the SF. My very first potassium hydroxide soap. :) Was a pain getting the stearic melted, but it came together pretty easy. Was kind of amusing how suddenly it hit a phase change. Stir, stir, stir, solid. Guess I'm all done stirring. It turned almost clear when it hit gel stage, was really kind of pretty. Zapless even before I added the shea. No scent, no color for this initial batch. Got it wrapped up as a log in some parchment, plan to cut it into pucks to share out for trials. I know of at least 4 people besides myself who'll be interested in trying it.

ETA: pic. Not exciting, I know, it's just shaving soap. One to sit on my rack until it goes funky, one to try myself, and 4 more to share out in a few weeks.

shavingsoap-1706.jpg

Last edited:
I made that last week - a small 100g batch I added to a container. I also added a little bit of Shea butter, and a tiny amount of BB Bamboo/Mint fragrance. I'm excited to try it, but I'm waiting a few more weeks.

I upped the batch size specifically because I have multiple people willing to try it out and wanted to get each of them a decent size sample. Going to let this cure for two or three weeks then hand it out and try it myself. If it goes over well, I'll start experimenting with adding scent, depending on the user to some extent. The guys probably won't want as much scent as the ladies, in general. Seeing how soft the soap is (even straight out of the fridge it was malleable) I may look at packing it into push up tubes or deodorant tubes for shower and bath use, just to make it easier to hang on to. Interested to see how much it firms up with curing, though I'm not expecting it to get a lot harder.

Back