What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Sep 12, 2017 #6161

Kittish

Kittish

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie Supporting Member

Awesomely done!

I have three batches of soap going concurrently. Kind of feeling a bit off the hook since I got done with the last editing job. I've got 500g batches each of a vanillin trial, that includes the glycerin-vanillin mix I made. I figured to add 25g of vanillin, which meant 63g of the mix (3:2 ratio). Mixed it into the oils before I added my lye. I saw little bits that looked like maybe some light ricing as soon as I added the lye, but they seem to be disappearing as the soap comes to emulsion. The soap batter looks and smells just like cake batter. Next soap is a lard soap, colored with indigo. I steeped a teaspoon of indigo powder in boiling distilled water, and let it sit for about 12 hours. Took a bit of mixing to get the powder to go into the water, it wanted to stay dry on top. Mixed up the water when I went to measure it for the lye (to stir up the sediment), and measured out a few extra grams to account for the extra weight of the indigo. Used about 2/3 of the indigo water for the soap, so the soap has 1/2-3/4 teaspoon of indigo in it. So far, it's a very dark blue-grey. The last batch I'm going to try a drop swirl with. Ruby red base color, with drops of black, gold, purple, and pink. I've got a lovely floral EO blend mixed to go into it. I used the nag champa attempt that MIL didn't like as the base, since DH doesn't like nag champa in any version, and I didn't want it to just sit around forever. Added rose geranium and ylang ylang, close to equal amounts. I kind of expect it to accelerate, so I'm going to add it to my batter just before I pour it for each color.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  2. Sep 12, 2017 #6162

SoapAddict415

SoapAddict415

SoapAddict415

I love the Jack Skellington faces!

Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

SunRiseArts likes this.
  3. Sep 13, 2017 #6163

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

Supporting Member

Thanks everyone!

Kittish, you need to post pictures!

4. Sep 13, 2017 #6164

Kittish

Kittish

Kittish

I will, as soon as I get my new phone. My old one died, and that's what I was using as a camera. No loaf pics, sorry. But I'll take pics of the cut soaps as soon as I can.

Tonight I learned how to use my shrink wrap equipment. Wasn't as tricky as I thought it might be. My labels are pretty basic, and not suitable for a product being sold, but they do include both ingredients -with sodium hydroxide listed right where it should be- and the net weight of each bar. I have vents in each end of the wrapping so the wrapped bars can breathe. I'll keep a close eye on them in the coming months. So long as they don't get spotty or develop any other problem, they'll go out as Christmas gifts. I borrowed DeeAnna's labeling style because I like how much usable space you have for information, but you can also see a lot of the soap surface.

5. Sep 13, 2017 #6165

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

Kittish some people recommend shrink wrapping soap just before it goes out because the soap can shrink inside the band.

SunRiseArts likes this.
  6. Sep 13, 2017 #6166

Kittish

Kittish

Kittish

I know, penelopejane. But the soaps I wrapped have been curing for three months, they should be pretty much done losing water. I'll check on them every month or so, see if there is any additional shrinkage along with checking for other problems.

Looked in on my soaps this morning, see if the lard and the vanillin soaps are ready to come out of their molds yet. The lard soap may be, I'll check it again this evening. The vanillin soap has drops of some fluid speckling the top of the loaf this morning. I did not zap test it at this time, though I will. (ETA- tested. Zap! Mild one, though, just a tiny tingle. Hmmm. Let it sit and see if it soaks back in I guess) I suspect it's glycerin. It's still too soft to unmold. And the soap is decidedly orange-ish in color, perceptibly darker than it was when I first poured the soap into the mold. I wonder how dark it's going to get?

I think I'm going to have to rethink my plastic mold liners. They worked great the first few times I used them, but they're starting to give me problems now. I'm getting soap leaking into the mold around the liners, and I'm making sure there aren't any wrinkles or gaps in the liner before I start pouring my soap. I had to take another mold apart to get the soap in the liner out. Right about now I'm really glad my molds are screwed together, rather than nailed. The liners are also getting sticky, they don't want to let go of the soap. *sigh* Back to the drawing board. Think I'll see about getting some mylar and try that out.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. Sep 13, 2017 #6167

amd

amd

amd

I'm finally catching up on reading at the forum - so forgive my late inquiry regarding this! When I was in China in June, I picked up a shampoo bar. I finally tried it a few weeks ago, and I love it! I believe it is a syndet shampoo, it certainly does not behave like a cold process soap. It didn't even occur to me that I could make one - so now I'm a curious little cat. I'll be digging through the forum for info, but if you have a starting point to direct me to, I'd love the kickstart on my research :D

Dahila likes this.
  8. Sep 13, 2017 #6168

amd

amd

amd

Sparkling Snowflake is one of my favorites. I have had Peony for about 6 months... but I can't bring myself to soap with it yet. (I don't like Peony. I got this for my daughter who has missed the bush we had at our old house.)

9. Sep 13, 2017 #6169

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

Supporting Member

kittish are you getting that new iPhone X that cost 1000? I have a son that would! But I m cheap for those things, would not pay that much for a phone.

I made cocoa buttermilk soap. It smells delicious! I used cocoa cashmere FO from BB, I got last fall, which is why I made the soap. You can see the swirls from the cocoa powder, although is probably going to turn brown. :twisted:

Attached Files:

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  10. Sep 14, 2017 #6170

Kittish

Kittish

Kittish

Egads, no. I got a pretty basic phone that only cost about $200. I have a friend that would, if it was made by Microsoft. He's as zealous about Microsoft as Apple aficionados are about their products.

That's a pretty soap! I'm still waiting to get my drop swirl attempt out of the liner. The top is nice and firm, but the bottom is still really squishy. It smells fabulous, though. Clear rose (rose geranium, plus ylang to sweeten it some) with some exotic notes. I swear the ylang is unpredictable. It only accelerates about half the time I use it.

11. Sep 14, 2017 #6171

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

Supporting Member

Why is it still soft on the bottom? How long ago did you make it?

12. Sep 14, 2017 #6172

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member

Mix it with lavender. Most of the peony fragrances I've tried are too perfumy for my taste. Lavender helps it.

amd likes this.
  13. Sep 14, 2017 #6173

Kittish

Kittish

Kittish

Made it two days ago, so it's not horribly worrisome that it's still soft on bottom. It's because of the liner, I think. Air can't get to the soap on the sides and bottom to set them. I'm going to freeze the loaves tonight and see if I can get the liner off without damaging them. Once I can do that, they should harden up in just a few hours, or at least the ends did where I was able to get the caps off. I've got silicone baking mats and teflon heat-transfer sheets ordered, to try out as new liners. I'm becoming quickly disenchanted by the performance of my plastic ones.

14. Sep 14, 2017 #6174

toxikon

toxikon

toxikon

Supporting Member

Glad to hear you like Sparkling Snowflake! I almost ordered Winter Wonderland from Nurture as I've heard such good things, but I didn't want to put an order in for only one fragrance, when I wanted to order the majority of stuff from WSP.

The Peony was on sale, only $3 for 2oz, so I threw it into my cart to get over the $40 limit for free shipping! I haven't tried any floral FOs so I'll have to see how I like it.

15. Sep 14, 2017 #6175

Viore

Viore

Viore

Toxikon, Sparkling Snowflake is also a favorite in my house. Glad you picked some up!

toxikon and amd like this.
  16. Sep 14, 2017 #6176

Kittish

Kittish

Kittish

Pics are posted in the photo gallery, got all the cuts done and I'm really happy with how these soaps have turned out so far. The celebration soap is just gorgeous! And it smells as pretty as it looks.

The vanillin soap looks like poundcake at the moment. That won't last, but I'm calling that batch poundcake from now on regardless.

I've got (currently, who knows if it'll hold) a lovely faded denim/sky blue in my lard soap colored with indigo, along with the flecks from the indigo powder. I like it.

17. Sep 14, 2017 #6177

SoapAddict415

SoapAddict415

SoapAddict415

I got my oils from Wholesale Supplies Plus today and I'm hoping to get my fragrances from Wellington by Saturday. Sadly, I'm working overtime Friday, then going to see my sister do her stand up comedy act and I'm doing overtime again on Saturday. I'm hoping to have enough energy left to make soap on Sunday lol.

Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Kittish likes this.
  18. Sep 15, 2017 #6178

LatherLady80

LatherLady80

LatherLady80

I read about EO & checked out this forum!

19. Sep 15, 2017 #6179

Kristianna

Kristianna

Kristianna

I made some Cherry- Almnd soap today. It's a small batch to test the fragrance oil blend. It smells great so far.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  20. Sep 16, 2017 #6180

annalee2003

annalee2003

annalee2003

I made a 6 pound batch of coconut milk and honey soap.
    Scented it with lavender and cedar wood essential oils.

... Everything smells like cedar wood now, haha.

IMG_3942.jpg