What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer earlene. But please pray for my brother and nephew who are on the path of Irma :(

I made a small batch, tried a column pour, and did not work. I think is because my batch was so small. Just been trying to practice different techniques. But something pretty came out. I think I will be making little sample soaps for a while ......

Irma is in the oven! The converted soap mold worked very well. While speaking with my son today I told him about my Hurricane Irma Cosmic Shimmy soap. He thought it sounded pretty cool. So I'll have to send him a bar or two when it's cured.

The colors I chose were white, deep blue and grey to create the storm colors that come with hurricanes. And I used Mad Oils Snow Witch as the fragrance. It smells pretty nice in my kitchen today.

Another new thing I tried is suggested by Anne-Marie Faiola in her books, which is to spray 3 times in 90 minutes (not the usual once and done that I've always done) with rubbing alcohol. Well, I actually did it 3 times in 2 hours, but close enough I hope. We shall see if it makes a difference.

Oh, and for the first time ever using the calculation w x h x l x 0.4 gave me the exact amount of soap batter to fill my mold completely to the top without any leftover batter. That almost never happens.

So our trip to Hilton Head is off and we're working on a replacement destination. It looks like it might be Las Vegas. I'm not a fan, but there is a nearby town with where wild burros roam the streets, and a few state parks and hiking trails that have really great views that make me forget I'm anywhere near 'Sin City.'

You'll be near my part of the world! I live in a town about an hour west of Las Vegas.

I de-molded my Irma soap this morning. The converted mold worked perfectly! I am so pleased. When I checked the oven this morning, the oven wall was 77° but the soap was 99° so I am confident I had a nice gel going on. After letting in cool for another hour or so, I removed it from the mold and it is now sitting to get more air. I will try cutting a single bar this evening in hopes I'll be able to cut them all before leaving on my roadtrip tomorrow. It was firm enough to handle the log, so I am hopeful.

Here it is:
first-ts-soap-log-1663.jpg

I made some freakin' soap! That's what I did today!

With my daughter and my husband going back to school (and my one year old son taking shorter naps) recently, I really haven't had anytime to make anything soap related.

But today was my day!
I tried out the funnel pour technique (or faux funnel pour, since I free handed it) and I also soaped at room temperature for the first time (so much less stress!).

91e24a4d18a248966cdbba00cf1ba52d.jpg

90d39dce2b9afbfb0336d595fecdff8f.jpg

90fe89a2599c4771359a5950039ee4bf.jpg

All the soaps are gorgeous! I am fixing to cut the one I made the other day. I took it out of the mold too soon!

:headbanging:

I made a loaf of Honey Almond that I used homemade almond milk and some raw honey in. I haven't done a cold process that has both milk and honey in it, so I stuck it in the fridge to keep it from getting too hot. It looks so creamy! I can't wait to cut it!

Toxikon, the white in your soap is REALLY white! Is it plain uncolored, or did it get some help? I wondered if rendered bacon fat would be as white as lard, considered it's from cooked bacon.

So, Hubby got tomorrow off and we're driving together instead of him flying on Monday. Because of all the travel plan changes, I've decided not to bring any soap making supplies with me. Hope I don't have soap making withdrawals!

I cut and planed my Irma Cosmic Shimmy Tall & Skinny soap. I must not have used enough TD, but I was absolutely positive it was well incorporated into all of the light-colored batter. Yet it looks like what was white going into the mold is mostly yellow, with only a few sections that actually came out white. The goal was to create storm colors to represent Hurricane Irma. I will definitely try this technique again. Maybe next time I'll get more distinct lines.

irma---cosmic-shimmy---2017sept07-1665.jpg

Gorgeous earlene.

I cut my little ones, but I should have waited. Still kind of soft .... at my age, I think I will never learn to be patient .... if only.

No soaping for me today. I am baking a birthday cake. My little one turns 18 tomorrow!

Toxikon, the white in your soap is REALLY white! Is it plain uncolored, or did it get some help? I wondered if rendered bacon fat would be as white as lard, considered it's from cooked bacon.

So, Hubby got tomorrow off and we're driving together instead of him flying on Monday. Because of all the travel plan changes, I've decided not to bring any soap making supplies with me. Hope I don't have soap making withdrawals!

I cut and planed my Irma Cosmic Shimmy Tall & Skinny soap. I must not have used enough TD, but I was absolutely positive it was well incorporated into all of the light-colored batter. Yet it looks like what was white going into the mold is mostly yellow, with only a few sections that actually came out white. The goal was to create storm colors to represent Hurricane Irma. I will definitely try this technique again. Maybe next time I'll get more distinct lines.

irma---cosmic-shimmy---2017sept07-1665.jpg
It's more of a creamy light yellow colour in person! I did use TD to brighten it up though. :)

Yesterday I received new silicone molds and lye from Amazon then I placed orders for fragrances from Wellington Fragrances located here in Michigan and ordered the rest of my supplies from WSP. Today I'm impatient because I want to make soap NOW lol. I want to make an all white soap with a clear MP drop swirl as a Christmas gift for the ladies at work. I plan to add a shimmering mica to the MP. I'm hoping it'll look like ice or snow.

Yesterday I received new silicone molds and lye from Amazon then I placed orders for fragrances from Wellington Fragrances located here in Michigan and ordered the rest of my supplies from WSP. Today I'm impatient because I want to make soap NOW lol. I want to make an all white soap with a clear MP drop swirl as a Christmas gift for the ladies at work. I plan to add a shimmering mica to the MP. I'm hoping it'll look like ice or snow.

Have you ever purchased essential oils from them? I was looking over their selection, and the prices for their EOs are... really suspiciously low. Like in the same price range as a lot of the known fakes you see on Amazon low. I sent them a message a few days ago asking if their EOs were the real deal, but haven't gotten a reply.

Post pictures of the soap when you make it please? It sounds like it'll look really neat.

ETA: I might have gone a little overboard ordering micas from Nurture...

micas-1666.jpg

The smaller jars are 1 oz jars. Two big ones are 4 oz. Mica is much fluffier than I expected it would be. The packets on top are bonus samples they included with the order. I think they might be new colors, I don't remember seeing the names when I put my order together. And a measuring spoon, too! Things are about to get colorful!!

Last edited:
Lol it's easy to go overboard when ordering soap supplies in general. No, I haven't ordered EOs from them. Their FOs are a little weak compared to other suppliers. Wellington says on their site to use 3/4-1 oz of FO PPO whereas places like WSP & Nuture's usually say to use 1/2-1 oz ppo. Maybe that's why they're EOs are so much cheaper.

Lol it's easy to go overboard when ordering soap supplies in general. No, I haven't ordered EOs from them. Their FOs are a little weak compared to other suppliers. Wellington says on their site to use 3/4-1 oz of FO PPO whereas places like WSP & Nuture's usually say to use 1/2-1 oz ppo. Maybe that's why they're EOs are so much cheaper.

If they're diluted, they're not really cheaper, they just look that way. And if they are diluted, they're not saying what they use for a carrier oil. Meh, I'll give them a pass and do my own dilutions when I want them.

Back