What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jules, do you just squeeze the Aloe from the plant and add it in? Never used it in soap but I have several plants that are getting out of control.

I attempted to recreate a salt bar recipe that I thought was a fail, ended up being my favorite soap yet, but I didn't write my recipe down. Today I am hoping I come close to figuring it out. Lesson... write any new or save any new recipe regardless of what I initially think! I also used some new fragrance oil called Icy Peppermint. The scent is heaven but my red colorant looks orange (bummer) don't know if its the cause but hopefully it will cool to red.

I also did my favorite thing...cut soap! I made a loaf yesterday with monkey farts (not a favorite, but my friend loves it) scent that I renamed "tropical sugar" I was going to do an ITP swirl but my soap started getting too thick and I just ended up plopping it in. I wish I could have done it, but oh well still...fun...fun..fun. The colors are beautiful, design not so much.

IMG_5308.jpg

IMG_5309.jpg

IMG_5312.jpg

I attempted to recreate a salt bar recipe that I thought was a fail, ended up being my favorite soap yet, but I didn't write my recipe down. Today I am hoping I come close to figuring it out. Lesson... write any new or save any new recipe regardless of what I initially think! I also used some new fragrance oil called Icy Peppermint. The scent is heaven but my red colorant looks orange (bummer) don't know if its the cause but hopefully it will cool to red.

I also did my favorite thing...cut soap! I made a loaf yesterday with monkey farts (not a favorite, but my friend loves it) scent that I renamed "tropical sugar" I was going to do an ITP swirl but my soap started getting too thick and I just ended up plopping it in. I wish I could have done it, but oh well still...fun...fun..fun. The colors are beautiful, design not so much.

I like the design and the colors are just gorgeous! I really need to get an order in for fun new colors.

When I use my fresh aloe I filet the aloe off the outside leaf, chunk it up and put it in the blender and blend well. Sometimes you have to stop and let the foam settle and blend some more. I then add it some citric acid to keep the aloe from discoloring and either store in the fridge or I freeze it in a thin layer in zip lock so I can break off how much I need. If you add aloe to your lye it will turn yellow. I use a 50/50 lye solution and the aloe or an aloe blend for the balance of liquid

Okay just poured my Silky Pearl Argan Facial Bar with goat's milk. Traced quick like a bunny with the ylang ylang and butters I used! Glad I had no plans of coloring it. Used a silk cocoon and Hydrolyzed Pearl Powder. Could not get the darn silicone individual cavity mold in the freezer so it is in the fridge

Well I'm even more stumped now! I repeated the exact same recipe today, but two things changed...

1. I used a 'light' olive oil from the supermarket (reputable brand of olive oil) and

2. I made sure the lye water was at room temperature.

Everything was absolutely sweet! It only took about 2 minutes to trace really nicely, it's poured nicely and it looks really good. I will unmould tomorrow, of course...but right now, it's looking fabulous!

So...the first batch was either the temperature of the lye water, or the olive oil from the soap making supplier. I will test their olive oil again sometime in the near future (I had never used it before this episode) and see what happens. But for now, I'm happy with today's batch and now I only have to wait 4 months to use it! LOL

PS. the first batch has gone all crumbly after un-moulding, but the pH has come down from 11.5 to 9. It's not the prettiest soap out there, so I will grate it in a few weeks time and make laundry powder. Absolutely no waste here!

Was this a castille soap recipe you're referencing? When I did 100% olive oil I had my first batch crumble and discovered it was from soaping at low temperatures (with small batch). Higher temps for 100% OO soap (especially if small batch).

When I use my fresh aloe I filet the aloe off the outside leaf, chunk it up and put it in the blender and blend well. Sometimes you have to stop and let the foam settle and blend some more. I then add it some citric acid to keep the aloe from discoloring and either store in the fridge or I freeze it in a thin layer in zip lock so I can break off how much I need. If you add aloe to your lye it will turn yellow. I use a 50/50 lye solution and the aloe or an aloe blend for the balance of liquid

I would definitely follow cmzaha's advice. My aloe cucumber seperated, overheated, or something misbehaving and now its in a crockpot rebatching. That is my soapy mess for the day. Not sure what happened, maybe too much liquid? Oh well. I may have a new candidate for the ugly thread. :(

whooo hoooo .. after MONTHS of no soaping I finally got to make soap today.

6 bars of oatmilk soap, unscented, uncoloured
10 bars of oatmilk coffee scrub, scented with chocolate espresso
8 bars of oatmilk, swirled pale lavender and natural colours, scented with grapefruit lily

It all turned out well considering it's been a while. The lavender swirls were a little thick at the pour so the swirls are heavily textured but they look good and smell divine. The coffee scrubs smell good enough to eat; hubby will love them.

The all naturals are my favorites and are just for ME!

@Jaccart789

What did you use to red that neon reddish pink color in your soap? The color is very striking and I quite like it. I've been wanting to experiment with some neon colors for a while now.

Here's my 4th soap ever

Last night I made a cocoa valencia bastille hot process. It's kinda rough and I think I cook too long but it will work nicely and it smells great. Still figuring things out.

If I increase my water a little bit will it allow me to cook long enough without the soap getting too dry and clumpy for any real blending or swirling? I know it's not going to swirl like CP but it's even a little too gloopy to fill the little corners in the mold without serious work.

Would a little extra water help?

Thanks

Rene

cocoa valencia bastille first batch.jpg

I cut and stamped my cm doublemint soap with spearmint, peppermint and eucalyptus. Holy wowzers it smells like that gum in here. I love it!

I've been wanting to make a really minty spearmint soap! Did you use essential oils or fragrance oils? And how much of each and how much per pound of oils?

I've been wanting to make a really minty spearmint soap! Did you use essential oils or fragrance oils? And how much of each and how much per pound of oils?

I used essential oils, I think I used something along the lines 1.2 oz spearmint, .6 oz peppermint, .2 oz eucalyptus but I am not very good at exact measurements. This was a 2 lb batch so an ounce per pound. Its turned into one of my favorite batches now. :)

Well I tried putting up some salt bars in 3D soap on a rope. Not the easiest to get out of the mold even after coming out of the freezer. They crumbled a tad on me. I'm not giving up though. I think I'm going to try a little mineral oil on the mold next time. Where it didn't stick they came out smooth as silk, I love the effect. I'd provide a pic but my camera is broken; waiting for a new one.

I used essential oils, I think I used something along the lines 1.2 oz spearmint, .6 oz peppermint, .2 oz eucalyptus but I am not very good at exact measurements. This was a 2 lb batch so an ounce per pound. Its turned into one of my favorite batches now. :)

FYI - the safe zone for EO usage is 3%, or 0.5oz ppo. The rate you've used is double....

>>If I increase my water a little bit will it allow me to cook long enough without the soap getting too dry and clumpy for any real blending or swirling? I know it's not going to swirl like CP but it's even a little too gloopy to fill the little corners in the mold without serious work.

Would a little extra water help?>>

I used to HP all the time. Never tried to swirl it, but the extra water definitely helps with blending in fragrance and just generally getting it into the mold. So it seems it would make sense to try it for swirling.

:wave:Hello again all, long time since I've been on here, not sure if anyone remembers me. They don't have a "Here's Johnny" from the Shining type smiley so I'll just go with the standard wave. My soapy thing done for today is to log on here for the 1st time in months and months. I have been in a soap less wasteland. Ok well, I had soap. I washed and stuff. I meant a soap making less wasteland. I pulled out a recipe from the shelf today and I have plans for some soapy goodness tomorrow. With luck nobody will get hurt. I'm going to try and go through the forum and catch up with the soapy news and happenings. Gonna get my bubbles on.

:) **waving back! ** Hi Derpina!! I was just thinking about you yesterday. No. We have not forgotten you. Glad you haven't forgotten us.

I won't torture you with my rendition of Nat King Cole's UNFORGETTABLE. But it did come to mind. ;)

Back