What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow- that sounds very unusual for an all-olive oil soap. At least compared to the slow way my own all-olive batches behave. Were you using pomace olive oil by any chance? I've never used pomace olive oil myself, but I've heard it can make things move much quicker than other olive oils.

IrishLass :)

Thanks for your reply. The olive oil used was good quality from a reputable soaping supplier in New Zealand. I did discount the water to 35 instead of 38, and the superfat from 5 to 3. It was a cold damp day, but I had my heaters on inside and it was warm.

The only thing that has crossed my mind is maybe the lye water was still too hot, maybe (I forgot to take the temps of oils and lye water before adding them together). But it sure was a surprise!

i did castile with pomace a few times, and all went normal, no funky stuff, no surprises. another time was the "super lye castile" with -40%SF, the lye water was stinking hot and also there was no curdling whatsoever.

was it the lye? did you do any other batch with the same lye?

a 35 water discount is not that steep, so i don't think it's the water.

hmmmm... i'm confused myself..

My 10 yr old informed me he wants a bright yellow soap. Really? Why?, cause it would be really cool. Okay what scent, do you still want bay rum? Yes and bright yellow, not swirls or anything, just plain bright yellow.
So I have promised him I will make him his own special yellow soap.

I hope that the Bay Rum doesn't discolour the soap too much!
Perhaps a bit extra of the bright yellow might solve that.

Or maybe your Bay Rum doesnt discolour :D but mine does.

I've been rebatching today. I seldom (need to) do that. But I had been testing micas and new fragrances the day before yesterday; it may have been that the lye was still a bit hot, but all 5 behaved badly. As soon as I stopped stirring, the soap set up. 3 soaps I HPed, 2 I left in the container, because they looked so nice and smooth. The FOs were: honeysuckle, musk, white musk, sea buckthorn and agave.
So I grated the soaps today, made a new batch with sea buckthorn and put the grated soap in there. The FO behaved better this time, but still the soap seemed a bit grainy. Well, we'll see what comes of it. I'm not a great fan of rebatched soaps - at least not mine. :D

I made shaving croap today for the first time- a soapy creation that lies somewhere between cream and soap, made with NaOH and KOH.

IrishLass:)

In the wee hours of the morning, I decided to make some soap. I was partially bored, but more so depressed. I used up my beer concentrate, aloe butter, and the PO from 1 container. I only hope that it comes out nicely because I also decided to use grams instead of ounces and my scale measures grams in increments of 2.

Well I'm even more stumped now! I repeated the exact same recipe today, but two things changed...

1. I used a 'light' olive oil from the supermarket (reputable brand of olive oil) and

2. I made sure the lye water was at room temperature.

Everything was absolutely sweet! It only took about 2 minutes to trace really nicely, it's poured nicely and it looks really good. I will unmould tomorrow, of course...but right now, it's looking fabulous!

So...the first batch was either the temperature of the lye water, or the olive oil from the soap making supplier. I will test their olive oil again sometime in the near future (I had never used it before this episode) and see what happens. But for now, I'm happy with today's batch and now I only have to wait 4 months to use it! LOL

PS. the first batch has gone all crumbly after un-moulding, but the pH has come down from 11.5 to 9. It's not the prettiest soap out there, so I will grate it in a few weeks time and make laundry powder. Absolutely no waste here!

I'm not a great fan of rebatched soaps - at least not mine. :D

me too!

red is amazingly hard to achieve! :( the red 30 dye, i think you gotta use a ton to get a true red, otherwise, pink :( i don't want the suds to be all bloody.

I was going to make a soap with aloe from a plant I just inherited, and Oatmeal Stout from BB with some beer I have frozen... Only to realize I am out of olive oil. I even went out and got lye today knowing I was getting low but completely forgot about the olive oil. I suppose I could formulate a recipe without it but I was too mad at myself. Maybe tomorrow. :(

I made my first beer soap, it's called Citrus Honey Scotch Ale. It looks great can't wait until I can cut it today. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1405844563.529391.jpg

Today I came to work with soap batter in my hair.... It smells like Pink Sugar, so I'm actually enjoying the scent! I apparently adjusted my goggles last night with batter on my glove. I wiped it out last night, but it left the amazing scent behind :)

Just made a batch of lemongrass + eucalyptus EO soap ! Can't wait to unmold it tomorrow. And I also made 2 soap molds for myself for the smaller test batches ! :D

I made Beer Soap for the first time, using orange zest, stout, honey and beeswax......Interesting combo, can't wait to see how it turns out. :)

I just made a batch of soap using coffee as the liquid for the bottom half and left the top half uncolored and used vanilla blend EO. . .I was going to attempt a hangar swirl but the bottom half set too quickly. . . .bottom looks like caramel and top looks like vanilla pudding. . .now waiting to unmold and trying to decide on a nice catchy name for it :)

Made my pumpkin spice soap with coconut milk yesterday, and I love it!

Just made a lemongrass and tea tree soap with cucumber and fresh aloe for the liquid - its beautiful and smells divine!

It has been a good weekend for soaping. :thumbup:

Back