What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made two 5lb batches of vanilla goats milk, a batch of rhubarb and sugar cane...second attempt at a zebra swirl. First try didn't have enough mica so just looked lame. Also made 2 batches of Alaskan wildflower. And ended with a batch that will just be felted. Added a bunch of shreds to it to use those up and tried a new FO...I think it was Kiwi sage and ginger. Can't wait to do some un-molding tomorrow!

Hubby and I just got done making our "Mocha" soap. I have not gotten anything from my orders yet (I'm VERY new to soaping) and this is only my 3rd batch. I had to use just things I had in the house which were coffee and shreds of old soaps thrown on top. It doesn't look bad though. Can't wait to cut it tomorrow! It won't have much smell but that's the way my hubby likes it.

i feel like making another batch tonight, but.......

my palm and coconut oils are next door in my grandma's house. and it's locked!

I am almost out of lye and am on a tight budget till I adjust to my new job income. Sigh....

Wanted to cut my kumquat soap but its still too soft. The pink grapefruit peppermint salt bar popped out beautifully though and it was still soft enough to stamp, my first salt bar I could stamp actually!

The pink grapefruit peppermint salt bar popped out beautifully though and it was still soft enough to stamp, my first salt bar I could stamp actually!

Wow, that is an accomplishment! Good for you!

New day starting here and I have measured the oils for a small batch-- to use the sample from my last BB order. Cucumber Melon or some such. Just know it sounded yummy. Also getting ready to measure oils for a batch of Oatmeal, Milk and Honey. I'm almost sold out of those.

Our town has an annual "Woodiefest" with singers and guests from all over the nation. (Woodie Guthrie was born here.) This year they had a arts and crafts show but I didn't know until it was going on (on Saturday, it's second day). But I made good contacts. One lady wants to give me a bunch of pork fat she has to render. But I think I'll give her some soap in exchange. I bought a doily from her to use in taking photos.

I made my first peacock swirl in a new silicone slab mold I picked up at a yard sale. I can finally make all those cool swirls you need a slab for. A column pour is in the future.

Ordered more supplies and cleaned up yesterday's mess. Trying to talk myself into getting up and making another bastile batch.

Remake of aloe poppy. Using natural colorant this time (spirulina).

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I've been doing soapy things every day lately after taking some time off, but I used the last of my palm oil last night and my new shipment doesn't come till tomorrow. I have a bottle of palm kernel oil that I've been avoiding and decided to come up with a recipe and finally use this stuff. I'm going to do:

10% palm kernel
52% olive
23% coconut
8% cocoa butter
7% castor
33% water discount/5% super fat

I hope this works out; otherwise, the bottle goes back in the bin forever.

brewing my rosehip tea as we speak for my upcoming rosehip soap. the house is all nice and quiet. everyone is asleep. lovely!

Just picking away a little at a time at my business plan. Been reading the Crafts Inc book and workbook, been reading Marie Gale's book, working on logo designs and label ideas. Saving up to buy insurance. Researching craft fairs and markets in my area,. Stuff like that. Just tedious business-type stuff which I've always hated, but is necessary if I'm going to get where I want to be next year. :)

Wish I could be making soapy stuff right now, but I can barely move, finally had my kidney surgery, and I am down for a bit. But at least it's done and over.

And I splurged on some EO's to make me feel better. Got in on a co-op buying some 1lb quantities from Lebermuth, and got their lemongrass, indian peppermint, and lavender. OMG, the lavender! Never buying it anywhere else again. It's beautiful! Sweet and fresh, not medicinal. I have been looking for this since I ran out of a lavender water spray I used to use constantly, but when I had reordered the same brand lavender water, it didn't smell the same anymore... I have been on a quest ever since to find such sweet-smelling lavender. Now I can make my own!

I've been doing soapy things every day lately after taking some time off, but I used the last of my palm oil last night and my new shipment doesn't come till tomorrow. I have a bottle of palm kernel oil that I've been avoiding and decided to come up with a recipe and finally use this stuff. I'm going to do:

10% palm kernel
52% olive
23% coconut
8% cocoa butter
7% castor
33% water discount/5% super fat

I hope this works out; otherwise, the bottle goes back in the bin forever.

The palm kernel oil is highly cleansing as is the coconut, so at 5% SF, it might be a bit drying, although the cocoa butter will help some. I have discovered I actually like palm kernel oil better than coconut for some reason though.

My 10 yr old informed me he wants a bright yellow soap. Really? Why?, cause it would be really cool. Okay what scent, do you still want bay rum? Yes and bright yellow, not swirls or anything, just plain bright yellow.
So I have promised him I will make him his own special yellow soap.

Made a batch of my pumpkin almond salt bars, and a 2nd batch of Cherry Almond. Going to make a batch of Sandalwood and I am done for the night! Taking my granddaughter on a harbor cruise tomorrow so I need to get all done tonight. Break time!!! :p

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Today I made a batch of pure castile (unscented) - yes, pure - 100% olive oil and the lye...ran through the soapcalc. When I added the lye to my oil, it instantly 'curdled' and 'stupidly' I kept going! Within seconds I had a big globby blobby that my stick blender took one look at and shrieked! I ended up mixing it (with difficulty!) with a whisk...slowly! It turned into a heavy bowl of heavy stuff, which I spooned into the mould anyway, to see what would happen. When I did that, I had liquid coming out of it and settling on top. It's 5 hours later and most of that liquid seems to have disappeared, but what have I done wrong, does anyone know? And does it mean I have a 'useless' batch of soap...or what should I do?

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Today I made a batch of pure castile (unscented) - yes, pure - 100% olive oil and the lye...ran through the soapcalc. When I added the lye to my oil, it instantly 'curdled' and 'stupidly' I kept going! Within seconds I had a big globby blobby that my stick blender took one look at and shrieked! I ended up mixing it (with difficulty!) with a whisk...slowly! It turned into a heavy bowl of heavy stuff, which I spooned into the mould anyway, to see what would happen. When I did that, I had liquid coming out of it and settling on top. It's 5 hours later and most of that liquid seems to have disappeared, but what have I done wrong, does anyone know? And does it mean I have a 'useless' batch of soap...or what should I do?

Wow- that sounds very unusual for an all-olive oil soap. At least compared to the slow way my own all-olive batches behave. Were you using pomace olive oil by any chance? I've never used pomace olive oil myself, but I've heard it can make things move much quicker than other olive oils.

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head that might make it move so quick (although I think it to be unlikely) is a really deep water discount. With how much water did you dissolve the lye into?

Oh, wait- another thing just came to my mind. lol I've been hearing whispered reports from different soapers here and there about having unsuspectingly bought olive oil that really wasn't as pure as they had believed it to be (seems it was cut with other oils and dyed to make it look like olive oil). Where did you purchase your olive oil?

IrishLass :)

Thanks for your reply. The olive oil used was good quality from a reputable soaping supplier in New Zealand. I did discount the water to 35 instead of 38, and the superfat from 5 to 3. It was a cold damp day, but I had my heaters on inside and it was warm.

The only thing that has crossed my mind is maybe the lye water was still too hot, maybe (I forgot to take the temps of oils and lye water before adding them together). But it sure was a surprise!

Back