What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made 4 lbs of breast milk soap for a friend. Rebatching last week's blueberry beer failure. Closed the online store and started inventory. I did a terrible job keeping up with my books so that will be the next task.

Yesterday I made soap bar cutter v1 and log cutter v3. Hubby contributed old guitar strings. Plan to use the bar cutter later today. :)

Today, so far, I split a batch and made a pair of salt soaps; dual lye, 100% CO and 100% (of the oil weight) salt; one with fragrance and the other without. Last time, I cut at about an hour and 15 minutes after pour and got 30% breakage. This time, I watched and regularly touched the surface (through a sandwich bag) checking firmness. The fragranced soap was firm enough to cut 40 minutes after pour, with one soft edge that hardened quickly. I cut the plain soap at 51 minutes without breakage, although there was a little edge break-away in places. I plan to cure 12 months per amd's suggestion in November.

IMG_20161223_191945resized.jpg

IMG_20161224_135837resized.jpg

IMG_20161224_144352resized.jpg

Last edited:
On the 24th, I took 40 bars of soap to the Nursing Home where MIL lives for the staff. Hubby got off work a little early so we could have dinner with her. Today (well yesterday, the 25th really, except I haven't been to sleep yet so it still feels like today) I saw that most of them have been taken, with about 3 or 4 still left in the box. MIL told me that some of the staff came and thanked her and that one young man was so thrilled to get some handcrafted soap.

One of the nurses told me she had made soap once, using OO & CO & an EO, but hasn't since. I hope she chose a good one, enjoys it and maybe tries making soap again. I know I enjoy it so much. My niece made some 100% CO soap sometime in this past year and from what she told me it sounded like she had a very difficult time with it and hasn't tried again. She lives in Colorado, so I haven't really had much opportunity to spend much time helping her with that and it's such an expensive hobby, I wasn't sure if I should or not anyway. But maybe next time I visit (which I usually do at least a couple of times per year) I will offer to help her if she wants to try again.

When I brought the soap yesterday for the staff, MIL asked me which one was my favorite. I told her that my very favorite was not among them, but did show her which ones I liked best of the ones I did bring. Then today (again, yesterday actually) I brought her 3 bars just for her, one of which is my very favorite and 2 other that I like very much. We had lunch together then I went home.

I was up VERY late last night reading the 'Deanna, I have a question....' thread. Very very late. I am on page 24. OMG, now I want to make that soap! But I will continue reading the thread all the way through first. It is so educational! And I really want to see how the experiments evolved.

Not today. Today I make Christmas dinner for my husband as it is his first day off. So the only soap thing I will be doing today is using my worktable for cooking and not soapmaking. AND reading that thread when I relax.

Made a 2# batch of blackberry rose fragranced soap. I did a pink, blue, white, and violet spoon plop followed by a little in the mold swirling. That particular fragrance moves like a hyperactive two year old on meth, soooo...in other words it's FAST! :crazy: It's in bed right row, but I can't wait to see how it turns out. :)

Made 4 lbs of breast milk soap for a friend. Rebatching last week's blueberry beer failure. Closed the online store and started inventory. I did a terrible job keeping up with my books so that will be the next task.

Did you close it temporarily just to do a stocktake or are you closing it permanently?

I got some feedback from my son today who said the cinnamon line in this soap is so scratchy that he won't use the soap again. This is the "soap is soap mum" son so I am really appreciative of his feedback even though it is disappointing as I love the effect the line gives the soap and I want to stick to natural additives.

AC is ok but it is messy and bleeds a bit, I have found.

20 yellow soap.jpg

Last edited:
I am about to make my first batch of soap since 16 October 2016!
Goodness knows what I have been doing...oh yes, I remember, getting ready to host Christmas for some special visitors! The house needed a bit of work!

I got some feedback from my son today who said the cinnamon line in this soap is so scratchy that he won't use the soap again. This is the "soap is soap mum" son so I am really appreciative of his feedback even though it is disappointing as I love the effect the line gives the soap and I want to stick to natural additives.

AC is ok but it is messy and bleeds a bit, I have found.

Tried two different browsers and can't upload a picture of the soap. So sorry. :headbanging:

I'm having the same problem penelopejane. Every time I try to upload a picture it says "upload of file failed". I've tried Edge and Chrome browsers. It's not working for me with either one.

Update: It seems to be working now. Here's the spoon plop monster. Other than a few air pockets where I didn't bang the mold on the counter hard enough to get he bubbles out it turned out ok.

12-27-16 a resized 2.jpg

12-27-16 b resized.jpg

Last edited:
I was getting all pumped up to get some brambleberry loaf molds (the 10 inch and the tall one) from a webshop here as they were on sale 10-20 euro off (they are otherwise very expensive here 24 and 42 euro).. I thought the sale would be until January 1st, but it wasn't :(

I might still get some FOs though. I am really curious about cocoa butter cashmere. And that new maple one.

And I'm debating on whether I should splurge on the lush sale or save my money to buy supplies to make my own.

Continuing to read the 'DeeAnna, I have a question...' thread. Hope I can get through it by sometime tonight. I'm currently on page 60 and last I looked it tops off at page 68. Lots of information there and I am SO intrigued! I am also working on my plans for the New Years Castile Soap Project. Choosing recipes and limiting them to something reasonably doable in one or two days is the issue. Originally I thought 4 small batches, but I keep leaning toward more.

I can't believe the amount of soaping ideas I keep coming up with and I only have so many years remaining. I think I'll just have to live longer than I planned. Another 33 years is not nearly enough time!

In betwixt all this brain intensive stuff, I am cleaning up some bars of soap trying to get them look a bit prettier so I can package them sometime soon.

I neutralized 2673 grams of vinegar today (added 89 grams NaOH). I was excited about that. I also sold 4.95 pounds (19 bars) of soap to a friend of mine for $50. That's enough to buy more supplies! I'm going to make her husband some beer soap and fragrance it with a beer FO. I'll probably make a batch of all OO soap tomorrow and a batch of OO/Laurel Berry so they'll be able to cure for a full year. I might try to get in a large pine tar batch, too.

Did you close it temporarily just to do a stocktake or are you closing it permanently?

Just closed until January 10th for inventory and book work. Of course I have yet to do any of this. Every time I look at the pile of receipts and the spreadsheet I had every intention of keeping updated, I want to throw up. I am going to buy Soapmaker 3 to see if that helps me at all in 2017. I also signed up for a bookkeeping class at the local college. All I want to do is make soap!!!

Cleaned & prepped my worktable so I could make soap again. I haven't done any since my return from Branson (about 2 weeks), so it's ready. Just in time for my New Year's Castiles Project and the January SMF Radiant Color Soap Challenge. I am combining the two. Two birds, one stone.

ETA: Made soap - one batch Andulusian style Castile except for the gradiant color. That's not traditional. But I kept out one individual bar as uncolored.

Last edited:
My third ever batch of soap has been made, and it is in the mold... I added honey, so the batch is orangey-beigish color which I presume is normal because of heat and the normal color of honey. I can't wait to see how it turns out when I cut it!

Back