What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to shake these soap gremlins. It's proving to be more difficult than I thought. I think I jinxed myself. I was saying the other day to my mother how lucky I've been that I have had ZERO issues while making soap. Now I had two terrible batches yesterday and two better but still less than alright batches this morning. I'm doing everything basically the same. The only thing I can think was that I soaped a little warmer than usual yesterday and that I'm using a new container of lye which had some clumps in it before I started. Which I've never had before. Would clumpy lye give me totally wonky super fast tracing ricing soap? :) I have to get back to basics and do a FO free super simple batch. Huff

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1465823543.244117.jpg

I did make this pretty batch with love spell and some clays and natural colours.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1465823649.912317.jpg
And this pretty lavender batch. Both right before the gremlins showed up.

Those are pretty, carlyjones. I am really drawn to the black, white, brown & cranberry tester in your hand there.

TheresaT, I had to look up karaja. How does it smell? With all those common uses I am wondering if it has a strong medicinal odor?

~ ~ ~ My soapy stuff:

Last night I cut the soap I colored with manjistha powder & was very pleased with the result. It came out even better than I hoped, given how unimpressive the surface of the soap looked when I took it out of the oven. However, because it is destined to be part of my June SMF challenge soap I will not be posting pictures at this time.

I have yet to cut the alfalfa soap, but I did unmold it & put it upstairs under the fan to dry a bit more; it's still a bit too soft to cut. I hope it surprises me as well, as the surface is really quite ugly to look at at this point.

I also made 3 other batches of soap yesterday and just took them all out of the oven this morning. One of them will not be going into the mosaic soap, so I will be able to post pictures.

Since I finally have some oxides, micas & ultramarines to use, I made a soap using 5 of them to see how they would work. I used TD, ultramarine Blue, lavender mica, black oxide and pewter mica in this one. The last time I used UM Blue (at Soapmaking Bootcamp) it morphed to purple during gel, so I sort of expected the same with this one, but it still looks blue on the top this morning. Here's the before it went into the oven last night, followed by after it came out this morning.

Multi-Color%202016June12%20oxides%20and%20micas%20testing%20001.jpg

Multi-Color%202016June12%20oxides%20and%20micas%20testing%20002a.jpg

Then before I went to bed, since I had used up all my lye master batch in this last soap, I made a new masterbatch of lye, but a larger batch so I don't run out in 4 days time. I quite like using masterbatched lye! Even making it is so much easier than I thought it would be. After mixing it up, I set it in a tub inside the shower stall in the small bathroom where it can cool off overnight. Then in the morning I poured it into the 2-pound 'certified plastic' Essential Depot lye containers for storage. Super convenient. I have four of those containers, which are HDPE #2 and that's where I store my 50% lye solution pre-mix. And even better, because they already are labeled all I had to do was add the info about the mixture. All cautions are already on the label.

I moved 2 bottles of KOH downstairs to put into the dry lye storage bucket. I hope I don't accidentally use the wrong lye at some point now that I am going to be storing them together. I may put a different colored tape on top of the KOH as a precaution. (One more thing to put on my shopping list.)

Brought down several batches of curing soaps to start trimming and finishing, but first a break for some relaxation and tea.

TheresaT, I had to look up karaja. How does it smell? With all those common uses I am wondering if it has a strong medicinal odor?

.....but first a break for some relaxation and tea.

Earlene, the karanja doesn't smell medicinal at all. It reminds me a little of toasted sesame oil, but nice. At least that's what I think. Someone else may not agree. I was afraid it would smell like a weaker version of neem, but not at all. I like the way it smells, which is weird because I don't really care for sesame oil. But, then again, I like the way barns and sweaty horses smell; so I might not be a good judge.

ETA: I discovered that I had room on my little laptop and downloaded SoapMaker 3 to it. Now it's on my desktop at home and my little portable. I didn't think there was enough room on the laptop to add it since I only had about 1.5 GB left. Every time I work on soapmaker, I back it up and upload the file to my iCloud drive. Now, I'll be able to work on stuff on my lunch break or in the living room (or in the sewing room, which is where I've been cleaning up the soaps). It's been a PITA having to write everything down then bring it to the computer. Now, it's portable! Hooray!!

Last edited:
I whipped a hp soap today. Kinda wished I had stopped at just HP but I couldnt help myself! I added SP and some milk and it looked kinda good to whip so I went ahead and whipped it. It's not looking good in the mold now...oh...I wished I had just did it the normal way :(

Yesterday I decided to go out for lunch before doing a little shopping and then come back to do some more soaping. Several hours late I came home with a few things from various places, including the Goodwill that I can use for soaping, and a new camera so I can get some decent pictures of my soaps at last. But my feet and back hurt so much, all I could manage was a little clean-up before making dinner. I was even too exhausted to do the dinner dishes.

This morning I lined some more cardboard box bottom/lids with newspaper, paper towels and then plastic lining. This is what I use to put my soaps on for drying/curing, when I run out of space on my plastic-coated racks. I've thought of buying the curing trays ED sells, but even at the heavy discount my cardboard box bottoms/lids have the price beat by miles! While looking for something in one of my laundry room cupboards, I realized I have been holding onto something since we closed the restaurant that is perfect to raise the soap up off the paper towels and give just a tad bit more air on the underside of the soap. I have a fair amount of this stuff and it's about time I put some of it to use again.

Looks like this:
895022.jpg

Today I will cut more soap and get started on the trimming & finishing of the bars I brought downstairs yesterday. Depending on how much trimmings I accumulate, I may do a mini-rebatch. Or I might try that 'confetti soap' idea, which I have never actually done before. It could be fun.

I think my new favorite oil is karanja. I just tried a sliver of the end piece that was sitting on the counter. That stuff bubbles like crazy, has a long lasting stable lather and makes my skin feel so soft and smooth. It is extremely soft, though and readily melts. Just using it the one time made a significant dent in the overall size of that sliver. I used my normal 2:1 water:NaOH ratio when I made it. I had only purchased an 8 oz "trial" sized bottle of the oil. Now I've got to find it again. The supplier I purchased it from bought it on a pre-buy basis and I have no idea if she's going to buy it again. I've got to email her to find out.

Just a simple little batch. Basic ingredients, basic swirl. Trying to relax after several days of talking an anxious teen through preparing for and taking exams. I'm enjoying the Buttermints FO. To me it smells like junior mints. To my husband, it just smells musty. Funny how differently two people can react to the same scent.

1465961160005.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS!! (Ya know, it ain't official 'til we see the ring.)

I love Steph's Peacock Blue Mica. It is beautiful!! I just got an ounce of it. And some of her Neons, cannot wait to try those out. Oh, the Clementine is just gorgeous. I hope that one holds up well in CP. I just don't like the bags. Gotta buy some jars.

Ramble on. I love rambling posts. When ya got something to say, you just gotta say it!! (I do that all the time. My mind wanders. A lot.)

Congratulation Teresa

I just cut my hot process papaya, medowfoam, mango butter and aloe butter soap. I scented it with palmarosa. I don't colour my soap often because I just use them personally. I can't resist not to try it's nice silky and it bubble very well.

Ack - my neck is killing me. Spent 2 1/2 hours handcarve the elements for the mosaic challenge. It is a super fun project, but will I do it again? Not unless I am using some sort of mold(s) or cutting-thingy in different shapes. Carving by hand really takes time, especially since soap can break - usually right before I am almost done with a piece... O_o

Later this evening I am making the batter. Don`t know what color to use for the background though... *off to check my stash of mica`s*

Tested some soap stamps and I think I'm getting better! Failed on hp soap but looked great on cp.

Cut the whipped HP I made yesterday, looked better than I thought although the top looked cracked. Inside is smooth with less bubble holes than expected. Feeling happy :)

ETA: it's an orange turmeric soap btw

1466002850006.jpg

1466003131935.jpg

I unmolded 4 - 1-pound molds and one very long wooden mold, and cut the latter. I'll add the picture shortly. I picked out a few soaps to send to my son for father's day. I need to do the same for my other son, then wrap them to mail. Put soaps that I trimmed yesterday upstairs to continue their cure. Took several photos with my new camera; tried to link the camera to my network via wifi, but couldn't get it to work; will see if I can troubleshoot that later.

ETA photos:

Multi-Color%202016June12%20oxides%20and%20micas%20testing%20-%20first%20cut.jpg
Multi-Color%202016June12%20oxides%20and%20micas%20testing%20-%20cut%20001.jpg
Multi-Color%202016June12%20oxides%20and%20micas%20testing%20-%20cut%20002.jpg

Last edited:
An ocular migraine just started, so I may not be soaping today. The dancing lights are quite entertaining but interfere with reading and anything that involves visual focus. Today they look like a cross between this
ocualr-migraine.png

and this.
2OMPNri.jpg

Only they are constantly moving.

Yesterday I made soap testing some micas. Some I had not yet used and some I had. I wanted to get some greens, but had to mix my own since I don't have one yet. I do believe I ordered a green from Steph's Micas & More, but that order doesn't start shipping until the 20th, so in the mean time I thought I'd see what I can do with what I've got on hand. I wanted to cut today, but until this dancing light show goes away, I guess I'll just be resting. It's been quite awhile since I've had one, so I don't have any idea how long it's going to last.

An ocular migraine just started, so I may not be soaping today. The dancing lights are quite entertaining but interfere with reading and anything that involves visual focus. Today they look like a cross between this
ocualr-migraine.png

and this.
2OMPNri.jpg

Excellent pictures. My lights often look a little like I'm looking through a prism. I may show these to my husband for reference. I had one on Sunday, induced by the spray sun screen I was applying to the children! I don't think we'll be using that any more!

ocualr-migraine.png

and this.
2OMPNri.jpg

Yesterday I made soap testing some micas. Some I had not yet used and some I had. I wanted to get some greens, but had to mix my own since I don't have one yet. I do believe I ordered a green from Steph's Micas & More, but that order doesn't start shipping until the 20th, so in the mean time I thought I'd see what I can do with what I've got on hand. I wanted to cut today, but until this dancing light show goes away, I guess I'll just be resting. It's been quite awhile since I've had one, so I don't have any idea how long it's going to last.

Wow. What a great way to show what your dealing with. I'm so sorry.

ocualr-migraine.png

and this.
2OMPNri.jpg

I get these occasionally too; luckily not while soaping so far, knock wood. Excedrine and a caffeinated beverage usually does the trick for me.

I get these occasionally too; luckily not while soaping so far, knock wood. Excedrine and a caffeinated beverage usually does the trick for me.

Which Excedrin do you take? I will look for it. I did not used to get an actual headache with the Ocular Migraine, which was pretty nice, but just an odd feeling afterward. My eye doc told me some people don't get the pain, so I was hoping it would remain so. However, it morphed into a HA yesterday and the couple of times before that so I have started taking plain acetaminophen for the pain as that's all I have on hand. I knew about the caffeine, but since I tend to drink very strong black tea (iced) I'm pretty sure I have that covered. Perhaps it would be worse if I had not been drinking tea. Anyway it's mostly gone today except for a slight shadow of an odd feeling in my head behind my eyes.

~ ~ ~

Soapy stuff: Last night I cut 2 small loaves of soap (mica color testing) & let them dry a bit during the night. This morning I cleaned them up a bit & they continue to dry under a fan. I have another long loaf to cut today, the one wherein I was attempting some greens with mixtures of colors I have on hand. On the surface I see some green, but not what I was going for, so I wonder what the inside will bring.

I also went shopping for freezer paper yesterday once my eyes were more normal. Finding FP in this tiny town where I live is like a scavenger hunt, but find it I did. Hubby asked me what I needed it for and I told him I was making a slab mold in a boot box. He said 'What size do you need? I'll build one for you.' I never thought to ask him. Of course he doesn't have time because he works 10-12 hour days for the next 3 days and I want to get this done before his next days off. Still, it will come in handy if he does build one for me.

I have the entire day today to work on my mosaic soap, so that's my plan for today, armed with my freezer paper and a boot box. :)

Back