What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a random batch last night using tea once again. It was the perfect opportunity to test out a different stick blender and I'm surprised at how quickly the soap thickened.

Hopefully, the tea will be just as good as the first one I made, without the goofiness.

Cut a 1 pound batch of gardeners soap. Bought goat milk and almonds for almond butter and almond milk. Next week 5 milk soap with almond butter.

I start my first farmer's market Friday, so I've been shopping for last minute things, labeling soap like a mad person, and labeling soap like a mad person. Whose idea was it to sew on ingredient labels with thread? Oh, yeah...mine! :)

I also discovered a great way to get rid of ash. We have an electric tea kettle (that just boils water) and you can hold the bar up to the spout as the water is coming to a rolling boil and the steam just melts the ash away.

I made a full batch of soap with the ND Gingergrass 2/3 & 1/3 Himalayan Cedarwood. I hated the Himalayan Cedar out of the bottle and was glad I only purchased a 3.3 oz bottle to try, but it is amazing in this blend. Hopefully it sells well because it could quickly become my favorite. :smile:at least for awhile. I also tried a new mix with Red Thyme, Grapefruit and lavender. What was I thinking to buy 32 oz of Red Thyme...it is strong. I accelerated quickly so no swirls but the natural color should be pretty. Sometimes it just does not hurt to have a plain color soapie. It is really a different fragrance but I do think I like it. Next I am going to try red thyme with fir needle

Got feedback from mom, mom's boyfriend, and his brother on stuff I sent 3 months ago. Very honest useful feedback, some of which I had already observed -- peppermint rosemary bars did not hold their scent after only a few uses, and some that is marketing oriented, as I begin planning my target audience, etc. Like, that the shave soap is awesome, but needs more than one scent, and at least one should be musk, which I personally dislike, but I realize a lot of guys do like it, sooooo... hhmm. And I was told that I need a 'Man' soap, with guy scents or at least ocean scents, with blues and browns

This from two guys who sat around the other day while my mom was asleep, trying on her various perfumes to see which one they liked best lol. So I guess they can have some say in the scents lol.

Measured and melted my oils for my beer shampoo bar yesterday. Today after it is to hot to work in the yard I will put it together. And I am taking a basket of soaps out to my fav produce farm. She wanted to put some in her shop when I gave her a gardener's bar

Made my first oil infusion which turned into a orange, clove and peru balsam soap last night. I asked for spices for my birthday to use in soaping and instead of getting just "paprika" I got an "orange ginger" blend that has paprika in it but also sugar, salt, orange peel, ground ginger, orange flavor, garlic, fennel seeds ground, mustard powder, and white pepper. I figured, wth... give it a try!

Had my chance to manage gelling/overheating a bit better than my first attempt. I hope it gelled all the way through, we will see. So far the color looks pretty awesome.

Poured out Dragon's Blood from NG this morning in a black/red/white zebra swirl. It smells amazing. I can't wait to cut and see the results!

Made two gardener's soaps today, one CP with hemp oil and spirulina for color, the other HP, nothing fancy with the oils, but lots of beeswax (per the recipe - I always follow recipes the first time, just to see, whether baking or soaping). Both soaps have ground orange peel in them, the CP one has pumice, also, and the HP one has green clay and ground calendula blossoms in it. Here is the HP one, with the calendula petals on top - I'll cut it in the morning.

For the record, someone said all the beeswax would cut into the bubbles. They're right, but the lather is very creamy, and it leaves your hands feeling very nice. It is a hand soap, not something you're going to wash your face with ;)

gardener-hp.jpg

Got a big show in the morning. Made 2 different kinds of bath bombs, designed their labels and packaged them, made lavender salve along which I also designed labels for and packaged. And lastly, designed and labeled 3 new batches of soap. Ohhhh, and I also designed labels and packed some new sugar scrubs. So flippin' excited for tomorrow! Now if only I can get to sleep.

Got a big show in the morning. Made 2 different kinds of bath bombs, designed their labels and packaged them, made lavender salve along which I also designed labels for and packaged. And lastly, designed and labeled 3 new batches of soap. Ohhhh, and I also designed labels and packed some new sugar scrubs. So flippin' excited for tomorrow! Now if only I can get to sleep.
Hope you show goes very well for you and you sell out out !! :razz:

Last edited by a moderator:
I made 10 lbs of lavender goat milk soap, a majority olive oil recipe that has a nice ITP swirl of purple in it. Except today. I split the batter, and it turned to clay before I could do the swirl. I now have an in-the-mold shmear, and I'll be lucky if there aren't air pockets.

With nothing but lavender EO and majority olive oil, it shouldn't have moved that fast. But it's a new 25 lb jug of (organic, no less) oil. Hope it isn't fake olive. That would be very bad.

Grr.

Cleaned the soap room, made some soap, cleaned the soap room, got mad about how frustrating colors and cracking can be in my soap and why 1/2 the batch (yellow) came out like bananna custard, and the other half (pink) came out perfect in texture. Basically: Got frustrated :D

It was way to hot to soap this weekend but late last night it cooled enough that I went ahead and made a honeysuckle blossom soap trying out the walmart shortening for the first time. It moved kinda fast cause of the fo I'm sure but the results are beautiful this morning. Nice and creamy. I also added some calendula flowers at trace so I can't wait to see how it looks.

I made a plain-jane olive soap so that my friend could have something safe to use in the future. I love how the color came out, but I decided against taking a picture. I'll do so next time or later. I love how the color came out.

I will also be cutting another concoction that I hope will be nice. I am worried about it's state as it reminds me of turd (2nd time I did that). I may have to stick to my own soaping method and not try to HP all the way. Another lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back