What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished making a batch of Morrocan Mint soap, inspired by Handmade in Florida's design.

It's a lot less sophisticated but I guess that's just 'cause I'm an inexperienced newbie;)

There are some teeny tiny, bright red spots on the kitchen tiles though, where I stick blendered, so I'm afraid the lye reacts with the stone tiles... I should stop being lazy and just tape newspaper all over the kitchen.

Once all my christmas soaps are done I'll post pics of the results!

Dollar store poster board works great. And it's reusable several times too. Keeps me out of trouble for blending on the wood table top.

I have not made soap since the fast moving FO disaster almost two weeks ago. FO moved the batter so fast that I didn't get color mixed in all the way, leaving clumps of oxides as well as leaving air gaps in the mold despite aggressively pounding. After cutting they smell divine so I'll keep them for personal use. I have sold a lot of soap the last week, and completely sold out the Cherry Almond bars that had just come off the cure rack.

This week life is going to be much slower, so I'll have time to work on restocking. Today I'm taking a stab at dental soap, a pumice scrub soap, and a salt bar. I KNOW. I said I wasn't going to make them, but the boyfriend totally loves my experimental batches and I totally love him, so I'm making him a batch using a FO dupe of his favorite cologne. They'll be a gift for his birthday in a few months. Other fragrances coming up for this week will be sugar & mint, an ocean FO, and of course redoing the Cherry Almond. If things go well I may even be able to put together a batch of Monkey Farts (which has my 8 year old absolutely giddy).

Monkey Farts??? What the.....?

I, too, have had my soap stock drastically depleted this week. Two orders of 10 bars, one order of 3 bars, and another order of 20 bars has put a serious dent in my soap supply. I can see that I'll have to be more prepared next Christmas.

Once the dishes are put away, I'll be making another batch of beer soap. I might make another batch of something else, haven't decided yet. I have the grandkids here today and I don't want to spend all my time in the kitchen.

I'm taking a short lunch break in between making bath bombs... I still have a few more batches to go, and really want to get to a batch of lotion but I'm running behind on wrapping presents and need to do that too. Yesterday, I decided to make bread and try out making butter (insanely easy and tasty - who knew?) so I'm running behind on my weekend to-do list. I just noticed the bananas didn't really get eaten this week so I'll need to make some banana bread too. I hate wasting anything. ARGH - I need more hours in the day!!

BTW, Misschief, Monkey Farts is a great kid's scent. It smells like bananas + fruit salad. It's normally well behaved and makes all the kidlets giggle at the name.

The last couple of weeks have been CRAZY!!! We had a holiday boutique at my sister's house, our last formal sell event of the year.

She was interviewed by the local paper for a personal interest story. We picked up 2 new wholesale accounts and had an inquiry for another. The crazy part is that we haven't sought any of them out, except for the first one!

And we have had several large individual orders.

I need to make at least 5 batches of soap shortly to begin gearing up for spring shows. Plus, orders need to be placed for supplies this week.

Got my last orders out the door and looking forward to a brief break before starting on all my restocks. Happy to have picked up an account for a kiosk at the airport. Not enough hours in the day.

My husband is making sauerkraut from scratch. It's fermenting in the basement. It smells like a dead animal, that has now seeped upstairs. So...

Today so far I made a batch of salt bars, scented with Curved & Chiseled from NG. It smells kinda like a salty sea air candle I used to make, so I figured it would go well with a salt bar. I finished my last 6+ month cured salt bar last week, and now am about to move on to a 3 month cured salt bar. I figured I better get moving on another batch since I love them most with a super long cure.

Not soapy, but waxy: I plan to make wax melts with Teakwood Cardamom, and then while I have the wax out, make fire starters from Dixie cups, pine shavings, and wax. They work way better than any store bought fire starter. Just light the cup, and it serves as a wick until the wax/shaving mix catches fire.I typically make 40 or so at a time, and I'm down to my last one.

You know newspaper probably isn't a sufficient shield for your tiles as drops of liquid can soak through. It might be a good idea to buy a thick sheet of plastic coated fabric or thick plastic table cloth and use that to protect your kitchen.

Dollar store poster board works great. And it's reusable several times too. Keeps me out of trouble for blending on the wood table top.

I think I might get some dedicated board or sheets for soapmaking, the newspaper is quite a hassle anyway.

I made a batch of kumquat scented soap, the whole house now smells of citrus now:)
But the soap seems to have "sunken"...As in some lines in the pattern are sunken lower than other lines.. Not sure if that is because some of the colour mixes contained more pigment (=heavier soap batter?) than others... But it's not zappy, so I guess it's just aesthetical.

IMG_20151215_092830.jpg

Made the first of next year's soaps: rosemary, mint and lavender with avocado oil, powdered buttermilk, and shea butter. Creaminess all day. :thumbup:

Been going through my inventory of soaps...cleaning them up and packaging..there's always one scrap that I can try or I can try the shavings...I'm pleased with 90% of them and blown away by the other 10%..most of these have been curing since February or March...pleased by some favorable colors morphing during that time....there's also 3 pots of deer tallow cooking..one of the stove and 2 on the wood stove...I'm only 90 minutes into the process...a tolerable smell for me...so far!

I just finished moving out everything from my soaping closet into my new organizer. My FOs, larger oil containers, and B&B stuff wouldn't fit. It's amazing how much stuff I've accumulated...

I think I'm going to love this. It's a bit heavy to wheel around, but it sure beats taking a bunch of trips. Having a spot for everything is really satisfying.

IMG_0257_zpsmzxjlgag.jpg

I just rebatched a TON of soap scraps, added pine tar, scented lightly with citronella because they are being donated for stockings for homeless vets, needed good cleaning bars with a slight "clean" scent. Oh also added coffee grounds to help with exfoliation.

Spent hours reading fragrance descriptions so I can buy some samples. Because their were over 400 I crossed out anything untested that had known acceleration, seizing, ricing etc Second go around I will eliminate those with known discolouration. Then I might have only 150 to read through.

I just finished moving out everything from my soaping closet into my new organizer. My FOs, larger oil containers, and B&B stuff wouldn't fit. It's amazing how much stuff I've accumulated...

I think I'm going to love this. It's a bit heavy to wheel around, but it sure beats taking a bunch of trips. Having a spot for everything is really satisfying.

But you're already out of space on your new organiser. Now you need another one:twisted:.

I just found a webshop that sells sensory perfection fragrance oils that has crazy low shipping fees to the Netherlands!

And they have most of the scents I've been wanting to try from there, candyfloss, peardrops (at least I think that's poire sucrée), rhubarb and custard, marshmallow, turkish delight ( I am on the hunt for a girly/snow fairy dupe alternative scent, for your information;)).

Imustnotgiveintotemptation.Imustnotgiveintotemptation.Imustnot....

Back