What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cleaned 200 and eleventy million soap utensils, pots, pans and bowls. I may have fudged the numbers there. I think there was more. Felt like it anyway :mad:. Cleaning up because the Mother-In-Law is coming to stay. She will be doing her not so subtle inspection. Kill. Me. Now.
Oh my. Understand. Time to make a roller ball with your favorite scents. Keep it in your pocket and apply endlessly throughout the day and night.
Best of luck with your visit. Remember your Mother in Law did give birth to the person you love very much. Maybe that thought will give you strength.

20230209_143552.jpg

Yay for color change!

It's under a blanket right now. I'm hoping the colors will magically morph to something less Halloween orange by the time I look. I used turmeric infused OO at 20% and paprika infused OO at 40% (yes, I made 2 separate half batches to combine), but after whizzing them both with the sb, they looked nearly identical in color! So out came the AC to see if I could at least make a third color and it just got so much worse. Lol. Maybe I'll get lucky and the turmeric will mellow out to yellow. 🤔
Have you tried red palm oil yet, it makes the most beautiful yellows. I think yellow was 5%, deeper yellow orange was 10%, above 15% can stain.... but I don't have my papers in front of me.

I've never used palm. I'm not against it, just haven't used it before.
I just checked and my colors are actually deepening! 😱
The plastic is from the wrapper on bounty paper towel. On my phone the soap color sample looks a little darker than it is in real life. The sample is equal to 2 1/3 teaspoons of red palm oil to 500g oils. To me it looks like a clear pastel yellow.

Attachments

• 20230209_195055.jpg
    20230209_195055.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 0
The plastic is from the wrapper on bounty paper towel. On my phone the soap color sample looks a little darker than it is in real life. The sample is equal to 2 1/3 teaspoons of red palm oil to 500g oils. To me it looks like a clear pastel yellow.
That's a pretty color! I often see the Nutiva brand of red palm oil available at Whole Foods, Natural Grocers, and the locally-owned health food store. It's an easy way to buy a small amount of red palm if one wants to experiment with small amounts.

Of course, they also carry the more typical refined white palm oil, but it's usually pricier than WSP, BB, etc.

What a night! Started a rebatch of soap scraps at 19h00 when power went on. In slow cooker. By 23h00 when power went of it was still not properly melted. At 1h00, when power went on again, I regrated the semi-solid clumps and started the crockpot again. By 5h00 this morning I gave up, pushed the clumpy pieces of soap into a easter egg box and went to bed.
Clearly I do not know enough about rebatching!
Now the dishes from my failure awaits....

After much procrastinating I finally got around to making my valentine's soap.

Pretty disastrous!

My maths was off somehow so had nowhere near enough batter... I didn't blend enough for the scraped layers I was attempting... I got in such a pickle...

Then realised that my nails had made a hole in my gloves and got soap under my nail... The nail has gone all weird and floppy and yellow... have trimmed nails as short as possible and washed in lemon juice...

Lesson learnt... Cut nails!

Pretty disastrous!

My maths was off somehow so had nowhere near enough batter... I didn't blend enough for the scraped layers I was attempting... I got in such a pickle...

Then realised that my nails had made a hole in my gloves and got soap under my nail... The nail has gone all weird and floppy and yellow... have trimmed nails as short as possible and washed in lemon juice...

Amazon has some thicker nitrile gloves. The thin vinyl ones we were getting local, my nails were going through while I was just washing things. I really like to test the gloves in things that won't hurt. The old nitrile gloves we had I could feel the lye and had to double them up. Hope you can find a good strong glove and you don't have much damage to your finger and the remaining nail.

Please only rinse off soap or lye solution with cool water as recommended in the MSDS for lye. Acidic liquids like lemon juice and vinegar will increase the exothermic reaction (make it hotter) and make the burn worse.

Ugh. I made soap using my infusions. I'm beginning to think natural colorants aren't for me. I've managed to come up with the world's best shade of peutrid split pea soup green and what looks to be a promising Halloween soap unless the colors change significantly overnight. 🤦
Ummmmm, pea soup - delish! 😉😉😉
🌸

Pretty disastrous!

Hope you are ok. 😳😳😳
I learned you also have to check your gloves. The box I had from Amazon had a hole in about every 10th glove. Amazon told me I should take each glove out of the box and check them upon receiving the box, so that was less than helpful. So now I check each one carefully - better safe than sorry. 🌸

Vicki C: curious where and what type of 3D printer you bought? If you'd like to share! Not that I have time to learn a new game ...............
I bought a Prusa mini. They have excellent technical support. I had a glitch in the beginning that was the result of assembly (not by me) so that was a slightly rough start but now it has been going well. They are made in the Czech Republic and I had to wait a few months for it but I really like it.

Please only rinse off soap or lye solution with cool water as recommended in the MSDS for lye. Acidic liquids like lemon juice and vinegar will increase the exothermic reaction (make it hotter) and make the burn worse.
I should say I rinsed with lots of water first... But then soaked in lemon in case after!

Latest posts

Back