What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mostly use dual lye these last months and have never had either separation or ricing. There must be some other reason IMO.
The ricing was so minor that I didn't even find it worth mentioning. You are probably right...maybe the EOs I used, lemon and lemongrass.

However, leave it to me to be impatient. I tried to get the worst one out of its container last night, and it came out in chunks. I was swearing at myself like crazy for this. It probably wasn't even ready to unmold. But I did save it in another pot figuring maybe I can rebatch it or something. It was so much work for that one little crock that I gave up on it for the night.

Today I uncovered the others figuring I better get at it again. I was going to pop them in the freezer and see if that helped get them out.

And what to my wondering eyes should appear? 5 perfect little crocks of dish soap LOL. One has MAYBE a little partial gel.

I am not digging them out and ruining them. I might slightly "clean" them on the top a little. Or I might leave them as-is, I haven't decided. I ordered a couple of big flower silicone molds for the refills after watching a few videos last night. Hopefully they fit well. I am so bad at judging size. I have been meaning to get these molds anyway for salt bars.

I almost texted the girl last night that I am going to refund her for the crocks because I was having such a tough time with them and was afraid that I won't get them to her on time for Christmas gifts. Good thing I didn't because these are perfect. I kinda wish I would have put something in them to make them more white, even some kaolin clay, because they are pretty translucent...like unmelted coconut oil.

Sorry, photography is not my forte.

dish soap crocks.jpg

The ricing was so minor that I didn't even find it worth mentioning. You are probably right...maybe the EOs I used, lemon and lemongrass.

However, leave it to me to be impatient. I tried to get the worst one out of its container last night, and it came out in chunks. I was swearing at myself like crazy for this. It probably wasn't even ready to unmold. But I did save it in another pot figuring maybe I can rebatch it or something. It was so much work for that one little crock that I gave up on it for the night.

Today I uncovered the others figuring I better get at it again. I was going to pop them in the freezer and see if that helped get them out.

And what to my wondering eyes should appear? 5 perfect little crocks of dish soap LOL. One has MAYBE a little partial gel.

I am not digging them out and ruining them. I might slightly "clean" them on the top a little. Or I might leave them as-is, I haven't decided. I ordered a couple of big flower silicone molds for the refills after watching a few videos last night. Hopefully they fit well. I am so bad at judging size. I have been meaning to get these molds anyway for salt bars.

I almost texted the girl last night that I am going to refund her for the crocks because I was having such a tough time with them and was afraid that I won't get them to her on time for Christmas gifts. Good thing I didn't because these are perfect. I kinda wish I would have put something in them to make them more white, even some kaolin clay, because they are pretty translucent...like unmelted coconut oil.

Sorry, photography is not my forte.

View attachment 69750
Those look great, @Catscankim - perfect little ramekins! 🌸

I messed up my scent, used cinnamon sugar instead of southern peach. Did a swirl too! Ugh LOL

My flower molds were being delivered today for my ramekin refills. Well they came, but not until 8:00. So now I am in a mad rush to make the soaps before bed. I gotta get this done tonight as I am running out of time.

So I am impatiently waiting for my lye solution to cool. Everything is ready to go so it'll be zing zing pour. But the flowers look like they are going to fit perfectly in the ramekins.

I added kaolin clay this time. Hopefully that makes them a little more opaque. I didn't want to deal with TD, so clay it is.

My flower molds were being delivered today for my ramekin refills. Well they came, but not until 8:00. So now I am in a mad rush to make the soaps before bed. I gotta get this done tonight as I am running out of time.

So I am impatiently waiting for my lye solution to cool. Everything is ready to go so it'll be zing zing pour. But the flowers look like they are going to fit perfectly in the ramekins.

I added kaolin clay this time. Hopefully that makes them a little more opaque. I didn't want to deal with TD, so clay it is.
Oooh, I can't wait to see them!
I've not tried clay in a dish soap but have wondered if it would boost the scrubby factor without scratching drinking glasses and such.

I have a flower silicone mold on my wish list, but only 2 of the 6 cavities are the flower design I want which is very frustrating. I want 1 specific flower design for all 6 cavities and cannot find it anywhere. Ugh.

Oooh, I can't wait to see them!
I've not tried clay in a dish soap but have wondered if it would boost the scrubby factor without scratching drinking glasses and such.

I have a flower silicone mold on my wish list, but only 2 of the 6 cavities are the flower design I want which is very frustrating. I want 1 specific flower design for all 6 cavities and cannot find it anywhere. Ugh.
Have you looked on Silikomart?

Um, what kind of pour are you doing again?

So the refills for my dish soap ramekins came out exponentially better than the originals. Like, I am over the top with them. I tried to get one of the originals out of the ramekin and destroyed it (#2). I ordered more lemon essential oil and it will be here thursday.

They fit nice and snug in the little pots, but the girl is afraid of mold underneath. I told her that I will pour some soap into the bottoms of the ramekins before placing them in, but for the refills I would suggest that they let the soaps dry between uses. I would be more worried about them getting mushy than moldy.

I have the rest in the freezer to see if I can get them out easier that way.

ramekins with refill.jpg

@Catscankim I've never gotten mold on any CP soaps, and esp not 100%CO-0%SF dish soaps. I could see DOS if it weren't used regularly and they left water in it, but honestly, tons of folks use and sell these and I've never heard one mold complaint.

No need to remove the original soaps. When the soap gets low, it comes out on its own. Meanwhile, just use them as-is, stuck in the container. The one I have at the sink is held in one hand, while whirling the scrub brush around it with the other hand. Sometimes I run the water right on it so it runs down into a big casserole dish that needs a bit of soaking, for instance.

PS - I love the dahlias for replacement soaps! I have several dahlia molds and people always gravitate towards those soaps first.

Last edited:
@Catscankim I've never gotten mold on any CP soaps, and esp not 100%CO-0%SF dish soaps. I could see DOS if it weren't used regularly and they left water in it, but honestly, tons of folks use and sell these and I've never heard one mold complaint.

No need to remove the original soaps. When the soap gets low, it comes out on its own. Meanwhile, just use them as-is, stuck in the container. The one I have at the sink is held in one hand, while whirling the scrub brush around it with the other hand. Sometimes I run the water right on it so it runs down into a big casserole dish that needs a bit of soaking, for instance.
Yeah, I was kind of surprised by the mold question. I currently have 6 bars of soap of various ages in my shower right now and I have never seen mold. I didn't really think that was an issue with soap.

I really hope that freezing the soaps work to get the old ones out. They are really a pain in the neck. Literally scooping with a spoon and being afraid of ruining the ramekins, which would mean I would have to buy new ones since she paid for these. I think the reason my first ones popped out so easily is because I didn't use koh with that first batch.

So the refills for my dish soap ramekins came out exponentially better than the originals. Like, I am over the top with them. I tried to get one of the originals out of the ramekin and destroyed it (#2). I ordered more lemon essential oil and it will be here thursday.

They fit nice and snug in the little pots, but the girl is afraid of mold underneath. I told her that I will pour some soap into the bottoms of the ramekins before placing them in, but for the refills I would suggest that they let the soaps dry between uses. I would be more worried about them getting mushy than moldy.

I have the rest in the freezer to see if I can get them out easier that way.

View attachment 69777
I have a tub of dish soap at my skin and it's in a container with a lid. I don't always let it dry thoroughly between uses and I've had no issue with mold. Just last month I put another puck into the tub. Zero issues.

If the soap is still fairly fresh, I'd consider just soaking them submerged in a tub of hot (from the tap, not boiling) water overnight and see how much softens/dissolves. That way you aren't likely to damage the ramekins or wear yourself out trying to pry the soap out by force.

@AliOop and @Servant4Christ I am going to try both ideas. I considered just ordering more ramekins, because they are not that expensive. Plus I really like them, so I'd be able to keep one set :nodding:. But the earliest delivery for new ones is December 9th. Then I gotta make them and ship them to her for xmas gifts. I am already on a time crunch. It won't work and I don't want to stress her out because she is packaging them herself. I might still order them anyway for myself LOL.

So far freezing them is not working. I might not have left them in the freezer long enough, but I saw they were coming away from the edges in the ramekins, so I figured I would let one sweat, then give it a shot. Still ended up scooping the soap out.

I am considering boiling them. I dunno if that will affect the unglazed parts of them. And the unglazed part is what is making me worry. Otherwise I wouldn't be concerned as much.

Since I already got a few started, I definitely gotta get the rest done tomorrow. It can be done, its just a pita.

I don't think I'd boil them for fear of cracking or shattering the ceramic. Water-bath in the oven like making custard could work and slowly melt the soap like rebatch, though. That's what I'd try if soaking overnight doesn't work, but I'd be surprised if the soaking doesn't do it. I accidentally left one of my sample size dish soaps in my dish water recently while handwashing a large load of dishes and that bar dissolved a lot.

I made Zany’s No Slime Soap in a 3# mold. Man, it went fast! I did the one with the OO, CO and Castor. I scented it with Lavender and Cedar, used green mica. Under the blanket now. I was going to do a swirl, no go. Christmas gifts for my family along with my Cinnamon soap I made yesterday. A friend stopped by and she said it looks like bark LOL. Also, ordered 50 peppermint lip balms to add to the Christmas gifts. Also, have a lotion base, going scent with the Lavender and Cedar then fill 2” bottles. I sure hope they like it all ;)

IMG_20221129_183449565_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Back