What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decorating my soap molds as I wait for more oils to be delivered. That's soapy, right? Ran out of Rice Bran and the wait is killing me. Also worked on making a few faux Replica surfaces for picture taking. Mine are around $6.00 vs the Replica backgrounds which are $79 a piece. I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Last edited:
Decorating my soap molds as I wait for more oils to be delivered. That's soapy, right? Ran out of Rice Bran and the wait is killing me. Also worked on making a few faux Replica surfaces for picture taking. Mine are around $6.00 vs the Replica backgrounds which are $79 a piece. I hope everyone is having a great weekend.
I want to see decorated soap molds!

I want to see decorated soap molds!
Let me take pics one sec. Some are in the process of drying

Here you go, @earlene . Nothing too fancy just paints and paper I like.

Attachments

• 2lb molds.jpg
    2lb molds.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3lb mold.jpg
    3lb mold.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
Those are so pretty, Serene. Which makes me wish I'd put contact paper or something on my wood molds when they were new. It wouldn't be pretty like yours, but easy to keep clean.
You can still do it. Paint covers everything and easier to just wipe just have to make sure to get the soapy stuff off. The only thing I recommend is not painting the bottom or inside, just the sides.

Also worked on making a few faux Replica surfaces for picture taking. Mine are around $6.00 vs the Replica backgrounds which are $79 a piece.
I'm so curious-did you faux marble your surfaces? I've been thinking about doing that, but haven't tried it!

If you have the room to give it a full cure, I'd do that. You said that it was only a tiny zap - that often will go away with enough time. If after 4-6 weeks it is still zapping, rebatch or toss it then. Nothing to loose by waiting.
I actually tongue tested it today and no zap. Looks like I guesstimated the amount of lye well.

Attachments

• Faux Replica.jpg
    Faux Replica.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Dollartree Wallpaper.jpg
    Dollartree Wallpaper.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm participating in the challenge club this month so last night I poured parts of my soon to be plaid soap. Hopefully I can unmold, cut and finish it today. I'll only get one chance this month, so I hope it's a good one!
I am not sure I will sign up for that one, but I do look forward to seeing your submission, @mx5inpenn. However, I am interested in the November & December SCC plans, so I'll probably sign up for the 3 month one in October. Plus now I want to watch Cowboys & Aliens again (the October SCC challenge), so I'll be streaming it Amazon, where it's free with Prime.

Made this yesterday. Used squeeze bottles. Took FOREVER (3,500g of fats!!) and my right thumb kept cramping up. Not 100% how I’m going to cut it. Combined OT’s German Chamomile with BB’s White Tea and Ginger. Both very well behaved.

View attachment 68542
Looking great! Anticipating the cut. So annoying when the thumb cramps up! If I forget my athritis medication, that happens to me just holding onto a water bottle or my tea cup. Last night after the rain began to pour, I had to slather on the Voltaren to get relief in the joints of 3 digits affected by surgeries over the past 2 years. Thankfully that stuff is great for releiving that kind of discomfort and it no longer requires a prescription in the US.

I am not sure I will sign up for that one, but I do look forward to seeing your submission, @mx5inpenn. However, I am interested in the November & December SCC plans, so I'll probably sign up for the 3 month one in October. Plus now I want to watch Cowboys & Aliens again (the October SCC challenge), so I'll be streaming it Amazon, where it's free with Prime.
I am excited about November and December also! I signed up for this one at the last minute just because I wanted access to the tutorial. Figured I'd give it a whirl.

I FINALLY MADE SOAP!! (Sorry for yelling, but I'm really excited ):D Double batch of pumpkin spice soap with pumpkin puree, an EO blend of orange, cardamom, ginger clove, cinnamon and nutmeg, colored with a little bit of turmeric.

Last edited:
Yesterday I made my cousin a mechanic, Blacksmith soap with only a small change. I used 25% CO and added 5% Caster oil, all else the same. Today I un-molded, and attempted to knife cut the bars, which crumbled. I’ve never had bars crumble before. I was able to use a wire to cut the bars and lay them out to cure. I hope my cousin will be okay with the really hard soap.

Just blended black rice into rice milk; I'm curious to see how the color changes in soap! I'll have to look for @Dawni 's triple rice recipe (took this photo before straining). It's burgundy like my cabinets. 😂
View attachment 68187
Do you have the link to the triple rice? Also, I think your soap would turn out like this. I love black rice and definitely plan on using it sometime soon!
https://binu-binu.com/products/black-rice-milk-soap
Today I’m finally ordering my first batch of oils, butters, lye, etc! Can’t wait to get to making. And praying my first batch turns out ok!

Today I unmolded these amazing little soaps! After they cure a minute, I’m going to make a clear soap to pour over top of it to make a terrarium-like soap. They’re not 100% perfect, but I’m still excited.

My soapy thing is trying to catch up with this forum. I was at an intensive and fantastic 3 day training, 12 hour days, at a nearby hotel. I forgot to pack soap. Ugh, hotel soap. And I pulled out a recipe for a special order and hope to make soap tomorrow!
ALWAYS bring soap! 😁 My still-kinda-new job that involves a lot of travel has given me a way to use up all my scraps and test bars. (Every shower is my lab, lol)

I made a batch of Patchouli Orange soap this morning. At my last market, one customer ordered 6 bars and another vendor wants a bar or two as well. So...... I made some.
Orange patchouli is the only soap I make that my husband is interested in using, it does smell really nice!

Attachments

• 421B1863-F35F-439C-A102-24BF1C751BBB.jpeg
    421B1863-F35F-439C-A102-24BF1C751BBB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying! Of course, that sounds perfectly safe!

Now I can truly appreciate your photo without the warning bells. And I do appreciate a heat-warming kitty image:
He's determined to do everything I do, so I have to kitty proof EVERYTHING and think several steps ahead of him.

6A05F736-3B44-408E-8F65-3B65262E012E.jpeg
🤣😱😻
(No "helpers" harmed here; sewing stops if he gets close)

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut my newest soap this AM. Sweet Orange. I have been trying to duplicate a scent of a soap my son bought for me as a gift when he was on an eighth grade field trip to Amish country. He’s now a senior in high school! It was the most lovely sweet orange scent I’ve ever smelled almost like candy that you wanted to take a bite of. It was the beginning of my soap making journey. I searched far and wide and never found a fragrance oil that matched it. Until now…. I blended my own. 50/50 Blood Orange (WSP) and Tangerine (Candles and Supplies) with a dash of Vanilla Noel (NG). I’m in looooooove! Pic in photo gallery!
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/sweet-orange-finally.88703/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back