What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually cover and CPOP soap, but this 100% coconut oil cavity mold pour was already hard when I put it in a closed cardboard box, wrapped it in towels, and placed it on the only clear surface available (the couch). I caught my sweet boy inventing a new technique to help the soap go through gel phase. If oven processing is CPOP, should this be CPCP? (Cold Process Cuddle Process)

View attachment 68439
Oh I just can't stand this. You're going to break the internet with all the cuteness.

Okay, cute and cuddly as that is to look at, my warning bells are going off regarding newly poured hot soap where any pet can just flop down on top of it like that.

Saponification was probably not finished at that point and I'd hate to read about your adorable kitty getting a lye burn from knocking the blanket off it or something like that.

I also have a cat and would be so upset with myself if she were to get hurt as a result of my soapmaking.

I received my emergency order of rice bran oil that my stupid inventory guy forgot to order. Also received my order from WSP. I took advantage of their huge sale on essential oils and got 2 that are normally cost-prohibitive. I look forward to researching petitgrain. I don't even know how to pronounce it. It's a real distinct scent and definitely needs to get blended with something. Also patchouli.

I also unmolded and cut yesterday's batch and posted my angst here Ione, requesting feedback .

Okay, cute and cuddly as that is to look at, my warning bells are going off regarding newly poured hot soap where any pet can just flop down on top of it like that.

Saponification was probably not finished at that point and I'd hate to read about your adorable kitty getting a lye burn from knocking the blanket off it or something like that.

I also have a cat and would be so upset with myself if she were to get hurt as a result of my soapmaking.
Understandable concern! I wouldn't have put the soap anywhere he could have reached it if it weren't already solid, covered with plexiglass sheets, sealed inside a front tuck tab lock corrugated box that can't come open without thumbs, and then thoroughly wrapped and folded up inside a giant towel.

This 100% coconut oil batch had already spent awhile in the oven, and would've been ready to slice if it were a loaf instead of cavities

If he'd knocked it on the floor, the soap was already solid enough and thickly-packaged/padded enough that it wouldn't have dented, much less come into contact with him. This would definitely be dangerous with a mold full of semi-fluid, spillable batter, or even solid soap that he could've come into contact with (not possible here with the sturdy layers he'd need thumbs to remove).
I appreciate your concerns! This setup is kitty-proof.

Last edited:
So disappointed. Just tried my first column pour and really messed up. I was so worried about it tracing too thick that I undermixed and poured way too thin. Took it from bad to worse when I tried to mix a little more in the individual cups and got lots of air bubbles. It's in the oven right now, but not sure it will even be worth cutting. Still kicking myself.

Understandable concern! I wouldn't have put the soap anywhere he could have reached it if it weren't already solid, covered with plexiglass sheets, sealed inside a front tuck tab lock corrugated box that can't come open without thumbs, and then thoroughly wrapped and folded up inside a giant towel.

This 100% coconut oil batch had already spent awhile in the oven, and would've been ready to slice if it were a loaf instead of cavities

If he'd knocked it on the floor, the soap was already solid enough and thickly-packaged/padded enough that it wouldn't have dented, much less come into contact with him. This would definitely be dangerous with a mold full of semi-fluid, spillable batter, or even solid soap that he could've come into contact with (not possible here with the sturdy layers he'd need thumbs to remove).
I appreciate your concerns! This setup is kitty-proof.
Thank you for clarifying! Of course, that sounds perfectly safe!

Now I can truly appreciate your photo without the warning bells. And I do appreciate a heat-warming kitty image:

I usually cover and CPOP soap, but this 100% coconut oil cavity mold pour was already hard when I put it in a closed cardboard box, wrapped it in towels, and placed it on the only clear surface available (the couch). I caught my sweet boy inventing a new technique to help the soap go through gel phase. If using a warm oven is CPOP, should using a warm cat be CPCP? (Cold Process Cuddle Process)

View attachment 68439

I made a most annoying batch of soap. I poured too much coconut oil, so I had to increase the batch size. I had made the amount for the last of a fragrance oil, so I had to go find another bottle with just a little in it to scent the extra. Then it didn't fit my usual container, so I had to go find another one. The additional batch required different colorants. You should see the mess in my kitchen! But it smells good...

I tested 3 of the last 4 Scent Memory samples I have. I was planning to do all four and "masterbatched" my lye solution and oils to make mini one-bar batches. I had a brain fart and poured a little cup of plain water I had sitting on my table into the oils for one of the batches instead of the lye solution I had set to the side for safety reasons. So I still have one to test. Grrr.

I finally finished transcribing my soap notes from my not-soaping To Do List notebook to my Soapmaking 3.0 Notebook. I had forgotten to add my Soaping notebook into my Travel soaping supplies before taking off on our most recent Roadtrip, so had to transcribe my records. It kept appearing on my daily ToDo List and this morning I decided to get it finished once & for all because I'm getting tired of seeing it repeated day after day. Now, if only I could eliminate bill paying from that list. But that's going to stay with me for life, I suppose, unless I find a way to eliminate bills from my life altogether, and I don't think I can realistically anticipate that happening short of dying, which I don't plan on anytime soon.

I have another roadtrip planned later this month, which includes SoapCon in Kentucky and I will surely want to bring along some soapmaking supplies for this trip, too.

I finally finished transcribing my soap notes from my not-soaping To Do List notebook to my Soapmaking 3.0 Notebook. I had forgotten to add my Soaping notebook into my Travel soaping supplies before taking off on our most recent Roadtrip, so had to transcribe my records. It kept appearing on my daily ToDo List and this morning I decided to get it finished once & for all because I'm getting tired of seeing it repeated day after day. Now, if only I could eliminate bill paying from that list. But that's going to stay with me for life, I suppose, unless I find a way to eliminate bills from my life altogether, and I don't think I can realistically anticipate that happening short of dying, which I don't plan on anytime soon.

I have another roadtrip planned later this month, which includes SoapCon in Kentucky and I will surely want to bring along some soapmaking supplies for this trip, too.
Wow! You take soap supplies when you go away??? I make soap like mad before I go! The only bills in my calendar are credit card due dates. Hmm I could just stop buying soaping supplies and could eliminate those! Uhhh NOT!😅

My day for soap fails!

First batch was tiny molds for decorations and a column pour for an imbed. That went well.
Batch 2 was a loaf of Cracklin' Birch which went smoothly. Except my mould wasn't full 🤔 I somehow entered the wrong number for ounces of oil. Oh well, they'll be odd sized, but pretty.
Batch 3 is a known problem fragrance. I stick blended the bejeezus out of it after adding the FO to get rid of graininess and did a quick hanger swirl.
Batch 4 separated out and mixed colors for an ITP swirl with an accelerating fragrance. Dumped the colors in the pot and gave it a swirl. Then saw the FO still sitting there 🤦‍♀️ No more swirls for that one!
As I pour batch 4, I glance at batch 3 and see that it has separated. Back into the pot and mix some more before glopping it in the mold. I might have to rebatch that one tomorrow because it looks like it's separated a bit again.

The soapy thing I did yesterday was to spill my batter all over the bench and onto the floor. I had added everything except the lye mixed with goats milk. I left my blender sitting in the jug and turned away. The top heavy blender tipped over and tipped the jug. I scraped as much as I could off the bench into the jug and added a portion of the lye. I figured I had nothing to lose. It was either going to be lye heavy or wouldn’t completely saponify. I cut it this morning, it smells beautiful but gave my tongue just a tiny buzz. I will give it the tongue test in another couple of days, if it’s still buzzing I’ll have to bin it. I’m so annoyed with myself.

Made a sheep tallow - lard soap in my new individual moulds, separating a portion of emulsified batter into which I mixed additional coconut oil, NaOH, water and spent coffee grounds. Yesterday I placed the unmoulded and cleaned bars into my "curing room".

Attachments

• IMG_7480.jpg
    IMG_7480.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7481.JPG
    IMG_7481.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7474 (1).jpg
    IMG_7474 (1).jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 0
Made a swirl hanger, am so happy with it! like a baby happy with its milk lol.

Oh and made a lavender 3 colour purple soap and a May Chang orange pinky white swirly hanger kind of soap….before I made the swirl hanger tool. Should have thought before that to make the definite swirl hanger but ok.

The house smells really nice😶‍🌫️

The soapy thing I did yesterday was to spill my batter all over the bench and onto the floor. I had added everything except the lye mixed with goats milk. I left my blender sitting in the jug and turned away. The top heavy blender tipped over and tipped the jug. I scraped as much as I could off the bench into the jug and added a portion of the lye. I figured I had nothing to lose. It was either going to be lye heavy or wouldn’t completely saponify. I cut it this morning, it smells beautiful but gave my tongue just a tiny buzz. I will give it the tongue test in another couple of days, if it’s still buzzing I’ll have to bin it. I’m so annoyed with myself.
Am so sorry. Totally get the annoyed feeling but then again, it must have been for some soapy reason. I thought of this. The most ‘failed’ soap can also be the best one ever! I hope it won’t buzz on your tongue. 🌸

If you have the room to give it a full cure, I'd do that. You said that it was only a tiny zap - that often will go away with enough time. If after 4-6 weeks it is still zapping, rebatch or toss it then. Nothing to loose by waiting.

The soaps or the hanger Zany? I’ll post both anyway☺️
Soap not ready yet though. Still in styrofoam box.
Btw was SO happy with the hanger tool but now just bought the gear tie as everyone is talking about that. Seems better to use……omg am so stupid sometimes🫥

had a few batches of lavender soap which my mom requested for her friends. she was adamant that i put the buds inside the soap coz she likes it. i told her it wasnt a good idea, yet i complied. now i gotta deal with lotsa bars that has these disgusting drag marks that i gotta clean up! pissed!

other than that, got quite a few eos to try, a couple of new molds, and my single wire cutter has arrived. i have a lot of things to play with, yay!

oh, and a 100 piece guest soap order that i gotta finish in a week. thank god it's mp!

life is quite busy in my lil soapy kingdom :D
🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• 7F57F7DE-9574-45C8-A5C1-4ED07ECF868E.jpeg
    7F57F7DE-9574-45C8-A5C1-4ED07ECF868E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • EF741CF9-DF58-4625-AB33-B69010D8D83B.jpeg
    EF741CF9-DF58-4625-AB33-B69010D8D83B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back