What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Washed a veritable mountain of soap dishes because I wanted to make some soap, and I was down to no clean bowls or spatulas, which almost never happens for me (because I have way too many).

After resting and planning for a bit, I made a custom batch for one friend who requested an ITP swirl with white, yellow, and black. The floral scent she picked of course accelerated, so I globbed it in the mold and tried to do a chopstick swirl. The top was definitely muddied. :( We will see just how swirly, or perhaps clumpy, it is inside when it is cut.

Next I made a custom ZNSC batch for a friend who likes it uncolored, with goat milk, and scented with white tea and ginger. The top looks pretty, and a plain cream-colored soap is always nice.

Finished off the night with a batch of lard*-neem-oatmeal bars for my hubby. He has almost no sense of smell but always asks for @cmzaha's DB - which he can smell, and which is saved just for him. ❤

Maybe tomorrow I'll get to the challenge soap...

*What I am referring to as "lard" here is actually my barnyard mix of cleaned cooking fats, which are about an equal mix of lard and tallow, plus a smidge of schmaltz. I typically use this mix only for home-use soaps, although I did have someone request it recently because she liked the soap in my hall bath.

Attachments

• IMG_1591.jpg
    IMG_1591.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I made my attempt at copying @Catscankim 's lovely design. It did not go well. I forgot the citric acid, and I realized I forgot the fragrance oil after I mixed up the swirl for the middle- so it was added to the white only. And then I forgot the mica lines. It was not a good soaping session. 🙄
I just forgot the fragrance the other day. Waste of time…i never sell unfragranced soap.

you dont need the mica line, so im sure it will be lovely. In fact thats the first one i did it on, and my sandalwood last night doesnt have one either

:(
TIP: Get into the habit of placing your bottle of fragrance in your empty mold. That way, you'll never forget it again. PS: I learned that here on SMF! :D
I do that, too, but it doesn't work if you have already done an ITP, which happens to be my favorite easy method of making pretty soap without much artistic talent. 😆

Pics of two of the three loaves from last night. The black and white ITP-turned-gloppy-chopstick swirl wasn't as bad as I feared, but the yellow really got lost, and the chunky top probably will be planed off - looked cute in the mold but just looks rough after cutting.

Fortunately, the simple ZNSC bastile turned out almost perfectly, other than a few bunged corners from unmolding a wee bit too soon. Also, I'm going to switch to a different brand of sea salt. This one has some darker specks that are ruining the creamy esthetic in a few spots.

IMG_1595.jpg
IMG_1596.jpg

Pics of two of the three loaves from last night. The black and white ITP-turned-gloppy-chopstick swirl wasn't as bad as I feared, but the yellow really got lost, and the chunky top probably will be planed off - looked cute in the mold but just looks rough after cutting.

Fortunately, the simple ZNSC bastile turned out almost perfectly, other than a few bunged corners from unmolding a wee bit too soon. Also, I'm going to switch to a different brand of sea salt. This one has some darker specks that are ruining the creamy esthetic in a few spots.

View attachment 64453View attachment 64454
The creamy color cured out to a really pretty stark white for me, and got super hard. They are really the prettiest white bars I have ever seen...nothing like td white

I love that swirled soap. Very pretty!! And also the tops on your ZNSC!! Is this the first time you made them?

@Catscankim Thanks so much for the encouragement! The ZNSC Bastile with goat milk has become a staple for a few of my friends who are gaga over it. I have to admit, it's the only OO soap I've ever liked. I normally can't stand it over 20% in any recipe. EDIT: mine stays a creamy color due to the goat milk powder.

With the cost of olive oil these days, when friends request ZNSC, I'm having them reimburse me for the cost of ingredients and having them take the whole loaf. Plus, they get to come over to my soap room and pick their scent, too. Fun for all, lol.

Last edited:

I often have trouble with yellows disappearing. Make it extra yellow and use a bigger proportion of the yellow batter than you think you’ll need.

I have my monthly challenge soap resting in the mold but it definitely didn't go as planned haha. I'm laughing at myself (not worth getting down about it I guess!) as I happily managed to squeeze in a soaping session today after work, had my colours ready, did my design... but still, I kept noticing that the level of batter was suspiciously low and wondering if I had miscalculated...
The good news is, I didn't miscalculate.
The bad news is, only when I finished pouring I realised that my DIY mold divider was not in place (read: I forgot to put the stopper in) and part of my batter had seeped out to the other half of the mold... I think I had the funniest look on my face when I finally understood what was it!

I'll wait for tomorrow and see I can salvage some of it. Honestly I'm still a bit annoyed at myself! I was so focused on getting the different parts of the soap right that I forgot the one basilar thing lol.

:(
TIP: Get into the habit of placing your bottle of fragrance in your empty mold. That way, you'll never forget it again. PS: I learned that here on SMF! :D
I need to remember this piece of advice for my divider stopper!

Got to go fishing AND cut new soaps! (AND procrastinate soap dishes) It was a good day. The spritz of glitter between layers ona couple did nothing. Broke my run and put colors together that blend, instead of contrast. Turned out pretty good!
I’m happy to have made soap! It really is magical stuff! We’re all a bunch a of wizards! 🧙🏼😆Soapamine rush!!

Attachments

• 03EC0D65-65E5-463E-8C6A-20B0AE869164.jpeg
    03EC0D65-65E5-463E-8C6A-20B0AE869164.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 97AC41C2-7F46-4DC3-BDD6-76A6146C10E3.jpeg
    97AC41C2-7F46-4DC3-BDD6-76A6146C10E3.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 6AD8FE25-0CCC-45E7-A246-726F27B5118A.jpeg
    6AD8FE25-0CCC-45E7-A246-726F27B5118A.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 1E834811-9722-4F4E-A368-B21E5A1E27A1.jpeg
    1E834811-9722-4F4E-A368-B21E5A1E27A1.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 19
Got to go fishing AND cut new soaps! (AND procrastinate soap dishes) It was a good day. The spritz of glitter between layers ona couple did nothing. Broke my run and put colors together that blend, instead of contrast. Turned out pretty good!
I’m happy to have made soap! It really is magical stuff! We’re all a bunch a of wizards! 🧙🏼😆Soapamine rush!!
Just so beautiful Tasha! Do you use neons for some of them?

I love these soaps. Even the swirl with a touch of yellow, looks like marble. I was disappointed in BB's buttercup yellow which faded majorly during the cure. I'll try BB's yellow mica next.

@Catscankim you are nicer than I am - I would have asked that guy to move in the first two minutes. And gotten the manager if he gave me any lip.

For your cigar band labels, I highly recommend Onlinelabels.com. After calculating the cost of printing (both ink jet and laser), their pre-printed labels are very competitive in price. You still get the volume discount as long as you use the same label template across multiple recipes. So for instance, I used the same label template for two different recipes. I got the lower price for 100 labels of the same type, even though they were split into two batches of 50 each. I just left a blank to write in the soap name so I could have multiple scents with the same base recipe. Hopefully that makes sense?

And their online designer program is pretty user-friendly. Here is the link to one of their cigar band templates. ETA: here's the link for the one where you can design it online and have them print it for you.

As for charcoal bars, I've recently started having folks ask for those, too. Time to stock up on AC while it's available and affordable.
But...are these sticky? I would be wrapping them directly onto the soap.

But...are these sticky? I would be wrapping them directly onto the soap.
Yes, but it's not supposed to be the kind of sticky that comes apart when you pull it off. It's supposed to come off cleanly in one piece. You can always ask them - their customer service is pretty responsive, and they will send samples, too.

Latest posts

Back