What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@KiwiMoose I am SO IMPRESSED that you stamped the bars on the very first batch of soap you ever made! My first batch looked like accidental sticks of butter, since I made in a milk carton with a recipe that was half as large as I should've used (only made that mistake once!).
Lol! Look what I found at my Mum’s house just now! My very first batch of soap from 3 years and 3 months ago! I can’t believe she started using it after all this time. Complete with DOS. Didn’t smell too bad at all. And the lather was fine. View attachment 64281View attachment 64282

I am currently on a text interview with the lady that is running the market on Saturday. I thought this was a done deal since she invited me to begin with...we spoke months ago and I was supposed to do a market with her before.

i sent her pictures before. Now she wanted pictures again. Did I mention she invited me? I wasn't even thinking about it, now I have spent a week getting ready for it, not to mention the money I spent on a new tent and lights etc. She seems to be stuck on that I have never done a market before. Its like she has never spoken to me before and I am freaking out.

I just texted her back (after almost a half hour pause for a response)..."I thought this was a done deal when you asked. If it makes you feel better, I have sold out of my house and parties for mlm companies. I am not new to selling or setting up for sales. I am already set up accept payments. Its just the first time selling a product that I made myself and doing a market."

Wish me luck...

Edit: I am in lol. Paid for my spot. Jeeze. That just put a damper in my night with the uncertainty. I been asking her all week where to send the money to, then she wants to interview me.

Seriously, I was squeezing in a loaf of soap before my 9pm bedtime. Now its 9 and I have crap all over my kitchen. Still gonna make the soap, but I'm gonna suck at work tomorrow for it LOL.

Last edited:
I was in Seattle for a few days and mailed ahead materials to make bath bombs ( was concerned about bringing a lot of white powder on the plane). My grandson, who is six, told his mom the he was “not a crafter” 😆 but he participated, and we had SO much fun. This was only my second time making them so I was not that confident but they came out pretty well. I had mixed all the powder except citric acid, and all the liquid, so we had a limited number of steps. Scented with fruit slices from NDA and colored orange.
Here‘s some water play with the leftovers.
BD601354-D4B7-405B-AE45-06FAAA0AC1F2.jpeg

Just made a layered soap. Took a bit longer than i hoped due to my obsession with having no bubbles LOL.

It is a triple layer, which I tried to do pencil lines with gold mica. Not sure about the first layer because I sprinkled the gold mica and tried to blow it out with a ear suction thing. The mica kinda just stayed put. The second gold layer I did with a tea strainer, that is going to be better I think.

So its gonna be white, gold mica line, green/white itp, gold line, white. Smell is Willow and Ivy from BB, which I am obsessed with this scent. TS mold.

Just made a layered soap. Took a bit longer than i hoped due to my obsession with having no bubbles LOL.

It is a triple layer, which I tried to do pencil lines with gold mica. Not sure about the first layer because I sprinkled the gold mica and tried to blow it out with a ear suction thing. The mica kinda just stayed put. The second gold layer I did with a tea strainer, that is going to be better I think.

So its gonna be white, gold mica line, green/white itp, gold line, white. Smell is Willow and Ivy from BB, which I am obsessed with this scent. TS mold.
Please post pics when you slice it up! It sounds gorgeous

I sat around and beveled some soaps today. First time doing so and the edges are so wobbly!

How long after unmolding do you guys wait before you bevel (if you do)? I noticed that the slightly harder bars were easier to handle as I could control the pressure easier.

Also, what do all you brilliantly crafty folks do with the scraps? I'm thinking of saving up a tub and then make confetti soap with them, but would love to hear what the others do with theirs.

Attachments

• IMG_20220131_235114.jpeg
    IMG_20220131_235114.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220210_213511.jpeg
    IMG_20220210_213511.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220210_213653.jpeg
    IMG_20220210_213653.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 31
I used to keep scraps for confetti but have a DD that loves tiny round soap balls. So I smash them all together & attempt to roll into a soap ball. Something’s I have to add a tiny amount of water to my hands to assist in the rolling. However confetti soaps are a fun soap to make & look at.

I sat around and beveled some soaps today. First time doing so and the edges are so wobbly!

How long after unmolding do you guys wait before you bevel (if you do)? I noticed that the slightly harder bars were easier to handle as I could control the pressure easier.

It gets easiest with practice!
For my recipe, a week is the sweet spot for beveling.

Also, what do all you brilliantly crafty folks do with the scraps? I'm thinking of saving up a tub and then make confetti soap with them, but would love to hear what the others do with theirs.
Here you go: Confetti Soap

Just cut last nights soap. Not only did I cut early, I also forgot the SL lol. So I am being super careful with these right now. I don't even want to move them to their new home in the curing room yet.

I mentioned earlier that I used two different methods to do the lines. The first was sprinkled on with hopes that I could spray the mica around with a baby suction bulb. That didn't work out so well (two left pictures), but they were the only two soaps that it is really obvious. The top line was done with a tea strainer, which came out much straighter. Next time I will use the strainer and make a slightly thicker line. It looks more gold irl than in the pictures. but I think it could use a little more mica/thicker line.

The scent is Willow and Green Ivy from BB. I am in love with this scent.

The sides look horrible because of the mica over spray, but I think one swipe with a planer will get rid of that in a few days.

This was easy peasy. I didn't measure and split anything for the layers. I eyeballed three identical pouring pitchers and then split one of them in two for the green and white. My lard recipe sits nicely in emulsion with occasional stirring while I work with each layer.

I can't wait to plane and bevel them!

Willow and green ivy mica line.jpg

Finally found a Lemon scent from Aztec called Lemon Crazy that I think I’m going to love. I love lemon soap but have bottles and bottles
from various companies that I just think smell terrible. The gradient is lighter thanI wanted but I still like it. I used gold Jojo beads and even though I cut it on its side those little fellows still got on the sides of the soap and are hard to get off.

Attachments

• 47A2557F-04A4-4D13-A73A-DDFB0AD189C2.jpeg
    47A2557F-04A4-4D13-A73A-DDFB0AD189C2.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 24
Just cut last nights soap. Not only did I cut early, I also forgot the SL lol. So I am being super careful with these right now. I don't even want to move them to their new home in the curing room yet.

I mentioned earlier that I used two different methods to do the lines. The first was sprinkled on with hopes that I could spray the mica around with a baby suction bulb. That didn't work out so well (two left pictures), but they were the only two soaps that it is really obvious. The top line was done with a tea strainer, which came out much straighter. Next time I will use the strainer and make a slightly thicker line. It looks more gold irl than in the pictures. but I think it could use a little more mica/thicker line.

The scent is Willow and Green Ivy from BB. I am in love with this scent.

The sides look horrible because of the mica over spray, but I think one swipe with a planer will get rid of that in a few days.

This was easy peasy. I didn't measure and split anything for the layers. I eyeballed three identical pouring pitchers and then split one of them in two for the green and white. My lard recipe sits nicely in emulsion with occasional stirring while I work with each layer.

I can't wait to plane and bevel them!

View attachment 64348
I am in love with this soap. I'm going to have to make something like it. Tomorrow!

I'm glad my basic look bar is loved. Hahah. I used 350g of oils to about 4g of charcoal powder, was a small batch to test out the scent.
Thank you 😊
Finally found a Lemon scent from Aztec called Lemon Crazy that I think I’m going to love. I love lemon soap but have bottles and bottles
from various companies that I just think smell terrible. The gradient is lighter thanI wanted but I still like it. I used gold Jojo beads and even though I cut it on its side those little fellows still got on the sides of the soap and are hard to get off.
This soap looks so cheerful. Love the piping!

Made my 1st ever lard bar @ start of the new year…
✨🥰✨ I tested my lard bars & was thrilled with the creamy soft lather. I have a bar🧼 to my BFF neighbor to try as she has the driest skin I’ve ever come across. I told her it included lard & why I’d added it. Then asked if she could tell difference from my other gifted soaps.
Long story short she took bar to work & texted me later that she absolutely loved it & wants a bar every month for life! 😂
My @AliOop recipe lard with Neem oil bar is still curing but the test sliver lathered beautifully. I’m so happy 😁

Unpacked my Nurture order... the one with glitter. Used their handy paper funnel to decant it into the new glitter pump. Yes, my shirt and hair and pants are also sparkly now. 😁
IMG_1589.jpeg

And of course, it came with a lovely surprise gift - some pretty pink mica called "Amaranth" and a funny little meme card. Yup, they have my number...

ETA: Oh yeah, and I also wrapped and labeled all my V-day soaps for our upcoming Ladies' Luncheon.

Soaps for VDay.jpg

Last edited:
I took advantage of Bramble Berry's 20% off essential oils sale. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm in the middle of Operation Empty Cupboard in my soap shop (inspired by Mrs. Zing where she starts the year using up all food ingredients before purchasing new, save staples) -- but I'm classifying bergamot, peppermint, and litsea as necessities, plus it's hard to resist a bargain.

Also am debating entering this month's challenge....

And, @AliOop , I was going to make a crack about your sparkling personality but some Canadian beat me to it. Have we seen the blue one and the brown one (upper left and upper right)?

Latest posts

Back