What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omg what did i just get myself into lol. Took a little hiatus from actually making soap…just too many things going on. Just now i accepted an invite to do a vendor event 4-8pm sat Feb 12th. My first one….super stoked, yet super nervous at the same time.

I surely have enough unwrapped and unlabeled soap to unload Lol. So guess what i am doing for the next week and a half lol.

The evolution of the TBL soap—first one on the left I made one batch and then separated the blue and black. I didn’t add the essential oil until I was ready to pour, but as you can see, the blue layer hadn’t set up enough when I poured the top black layer. 2nd batch I made 3 separate batches and only started mixing the next batch when the first layer became dull and was set up. Oddly, I used the same amount of activated charcoal in the 2nd batch as I did in the first, but it’s not as dark, so 3rd batch I added more charcoal.

I love these! I'm actually working on soaps and stuff for my own blue and his colleague. (Thankfully both retired now).

Hope

Omg what did i just get myself into lol. Took a little hiatus from actually making soap…just too many things going on. Just now i accepted an invite to do a vendor event 4-8pm sat Feb 12th. My first one….super stoked, yet super nervous at the same time.

I surely have enough unwrapped and unlabeled soap to unload Lol. So guess what i am doing for the next week and a half lol.
yay! you are gonna do great!

I love these! I'm actually working on soaps and stuff for my own blue and his colleague. (Thankfully both retired now).

Hope
Thanks! I originally made these for my husband and his coworkers (luckily a very small department of 8), and they have been such a huge hit that I ended up making more for some police wife friends and then for a police wife organization. They are kind of a pain, but people love them!

I like this mold but it's very thin and tends to bulge. I raided my kids room and built a support out of Legos for it. 🤣. I was inspired by someone else here who made one for a milk carton.

16439193280204957360611011146029.jpg

Maybe to switch to dual-lye masterbatch some time?
That went quicker than I thought!

Remember my wood ash lye pet project? Of course I have kept some of the ash for “hard times”, i. e. now.
Ash shaken with distilled water (this time I was lazy and added the slaked lime directly to the ash, to save one filtration step).
Back then, I had major issues with underestimating the caustic strength when deduced from the specific gravity. The density measurement (SG 1.036) suggested, if all of the dissolved solids were KOH, a concentration of 4.3%. But this time I knew better. Titration time! The concentration was rather 2.8%, i. e. a third lower than expected from SG.

I eventually added 47.1 g solid NaOH per 100 g of this wood ash lye, and now I have a clear and slightly yellow dual-lye masterbatch, with a convenient 1:2 NaOH concentration to be used straight off in recipes, and (under some vague preconditions) a NaOH:KOH ratio of 94:6. Dual lye grown in the own garden 😃

That went quicker than I thought!

Remember my wood ash lye pet project? Of course I have kept some of the ash for “hard times”, i. e. now.
Ash shaken with distilled water (this time I was lazy and added the slaked lime directly to the ash, to save one filtration step).
Back then, I had major issues with underestimating the caustic strength when deduced from the specific gravity. The density measurement (SG 1.036) suggested, if all of the dissolved solids were KOH, a concentration of 4.3%. But this time I knew better. Titration time! The concentration was rather 2.8%, i. e. a third lower than expected from SG.

I eventually added 47.1 g solid NaOH per 100 g of this wood ash lye, and now I have a clear and slightly yellow dual-lye masterbatch, with a convenient 1:2 NaOH concentration to be used straight off in recipes, and (under some vague preconditions) a NaOH:KOH ratio of 94:6. Dual lye grown in the own garden 😃
I JUST finished cleaning the ashes out of the fireplace. Should have saved them to make lye. 🤣🤣. No, not really. I love reading about your experiments but I'm still using lye from a bottle....

Amazon order made it. Lye, castor oil and a new ir thermometer.
View attachment 64256
Batch of pine tar and coffee soap. On the schedule for Monday. 😊
Oh how I long for that type of weather - it was 32 (89.6) degrees here today. It's like living in Florida!! It's still 29 (84.2) degrees upstairs in the bedroom at 10pm. Will have to put the air con on up there if I'm to sleep tonight.

My recent soap not the color I really wanted my beautifull pink morphed is it possible that aloa vera is responsible for that I used 100% aloa and light colored oils and it took a verry long time to trace again is it because of the aloa vera juice

Attachments

• 96D6AD33-0DDF-42C1-BDDA-71F78E05B1B6.jpeg
    96D6AD33-0DDF-42C1-BDDA-71F78E05B1B6.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 24
I like this mold but it's very thin and tends to bulge. I raided my kids room and built a support out of Legos for it. 🤣. I was inspired by someone else here who made one for a milk carton.

View attachment 64220
Ha! My Lego milk carton mold support is still sitting on my desk. I can’t get my son to take it apart! Don’t really need it now, I made a wooden column mold to replace the milk cartons. Don’t put it in the oven to gel!!!!

After 1-1/2 years of not making soap for a variety of reasons, I feel like a beginner soap maker all over again. Intimidated as I was, I was nonetheless happy with the results of my rebatched soap of old end pieces and aloe juice. Now it’s on to a really simple soap recipe.
I went 7 months and I always get all bunched up again like I have no idea! Look and feel like a complete klutz.
I have made 3 simple batches in the last couple weeks but really I almost always make simple batches anyway. :)

After what felt like months of being uninspired (it really wasn't that long), I'm finally excited about making soap again. I made two batches today and have ideas for several more. One of them needs a bit of help from my husband to source one item I'll require to make it. It gets him out of the house, doing something outside of his normal routine and that's not a bad thing.

Here's a peek at one of the soaps I poured today. This one makes me happy!

Happy.png

After what felt like months of being uninspired (it really wasn't that long), I'm finally excited about making soap again. I made two batches today and have ideas for several more. One of them needs a bit of help from my husband to source one item I'll require to make it. It gets him out of the house, doing something outside of his normal routine and that's not a bad thing.

Here's a peek at one of the soaps I poured today. This one makes me happy!

View attachment 64270
Gorgeous colours! Are they neons? Next on my list to try....

Back