What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are 3".

I like this idea better than the end caps I got. They're a pain to remove. Are they fairly easy to remove?

And on that note, I unmolded my pull-through soap today. I am SO happy. I'm calling this one Hippy Chick. It's scented with sweet orange, lavender, and lemongrass. The recipe is @Zany_in_CO's No Slime Castile recipe.

View attachment 64086
OMG i LOVE this one @Misschief !

Tried my very 1st black & white soap. For black I used a bit of activated charcoal (holy moly that stuff gets EVERYWHERE) with a bit of caramel coloring. Thanks @ResolvableOwl for that tip. White was just a bit of TD. I meant to add winter white mica & plum forgot I had it. For pattern, I did an ITPS. I put the loaf to bed on a heating pad for an hour. Hope it looks okay tomorrow.🤞
Bet I get some glycerin rivers. Now the wait. I hate the wait. 😝
:swinging:

Just cleaned up a soapy session. Inspired by @Ford and @KiwiMoose , it's layered with a solid and an ITP swirl. It was actually 2 soaping sessions, 1 for each layer. I used a favorite color scheme I haven't used in awhile, blue and brown. Scented with cedarwood and bergamot. Also, I used clay for the first time. I tried dissolving kaolin in my lye liquid but still ended up with a sludge left over. I had wanted to do multiple loaves but decided to keep it simple with one since I haven't worked with clay before. Fingers crossed. I'm with ya, @LynetteO on the waiting!!

I am always forgetting to do a hack! I could save one measuring cup by pouring one oil into my mixing bowl!!

Now I have to label and wrap up a loaf of soap for my brother. We celebrate our birthday tonight.

Just cleaned up a soapy session. Inspired by @Ford and @KiwiMoose , it's layered with a solid and an ITP swirl. It was actually 2 soaping sessions, 1 for each layer. I used a favorite color scheme I haven't used in awhile, blue and brown. Scented with cedarwood and bergamot. Also, I used clay for the first time. I tried dissolving kaolin in my lye liquid but still ended up with a sludge left over. I had wanted to do multiple loaves but decided to keep it simple with one since I haven't worked with clay before. Fingers crossed. I'm with ya, @LynetteO on the waiting!!

I am always forgetting to do a hack! I could save one measuring cup by pouring one oil into my mixing bowl!!

Now I have to label and wrap up a loaf of soap for my brother. We celebrate our birthday tonight.

Too funny... I did a clay soap today as well. Mine is Loads of Clay, from Humblebee & Me. I usually make it in a loaf mold but this time I did it in a PVC pipe. It's scented with Nag Champa. I add the clay to my oils rather than the lye and make sure to pour at light trace.

https://www.humblebeeandme.com/lots-lots-clay-soap/

We celebrate our birthday tonight.
Happy Birthday.gif

You mean you don't put them all in the one container? I measure all my hard oils into a pot to melt. And all the liquid ones I measure into one container to add once the others are melted.

Happy Birthday!!!! :happybirthday:

Also, I used clay for the first time. I tried dissolving kaolin in my lye liquid but still ended up with a sludge left over.

We celebrate our birthday tonight.
Happy birthday! Are you a twin??

So, clay doesn't dissolve. You can hydrate it with liquid, or whizz it into your oils, but in the end, you have to mix it well into your soap batter.

You mean you don't put them all in the one container? I measure all my hard oils into a pot to melt. And all the liquid ones I measure into one container to add once the others are melted.

Happy Birthday!!!! :happybirthday:
Thank you! And we can't all be like the talented @KiwiMoose . I do weight out all my solids into one container because it's easy to take out a gram or two if I put in too much. However, I measure my liquids into separate measuring cups. Even separately, I often over-pour. I know several members here measure liquids all together and I just don't trust myself!
Happy birthday! Are you a twin??

So, clay doesn't dissolve. You can hydrate it with liquid, or whizz it into your oils, but in the end, you have to mix it well into your soap batter.
Good to know about clay not dissolving. I'm thinking next time to add it to oils. I put it in the lye liquid but stirring was difficult and I was a-feared of the lye splashing out.

Yes, I'm a twin. In high school, kids decided to call the both of us "Zing" because they couldn't/didn't want to tell us apart.

Good thinking! ;) :thumbs: Add it to your warmed oils. SB for one full minute before adding lye, while stirring.
That works! Another good option is to mix it with your EOs/FOs. Some folks swear it helps the scent stick better. Mostly I do it that way so I have one less thing to wash. I put the clay in a repurposed glass jar, then put it on the tared-out scale, and measure in my fragrance. Stir it up a bit and let it sit till I'm ready to add it to the batter.

Another good option is to mix it with your EOs/FOs. Some folks swear it helps the scent stick better…. Stir it up a bit and let it sit till I'm ready to add it to the batter.
I do the same. Measure my scent out in small glass container the night or day before I plan to soap. I add 1tsp kaolin clay PPO.

Rendered almost a gallon of saved cooking fats, probably 70% tallow and 30% lard. Made a beautiful creamy white, odor free blend that is perfect for our home use. Then I made two loaves of charcoal soap for a friend; her husband has been using some that I made previously, and he wants more. Used the EO blend from Post #5 in this thread -smells great! It was super slow to trace, which I attribute to the grapefruit EO. It was only a 1500g batch, and I had to SB for almost a whole minute straight.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Rendered almost a gallon of saved cooking fats, probably 70% tallow and 30% lard. Made a beautiful creamy white, odor free blend that is perfect for our home use. Then I made two loaves of charcoal soap for a friend; her husband has been using some that I made previously, and he wants more. Used the EO blend from Post #5 in this thread -smells great! It was super slow to trace, which I attribute to the grapefruit EO. It was only a 1500g batch, and I had to SB for almost a whole minute straight.
Beautiful…

I washed my soaps...had some soda ash. Did my Red Palm Oil test...we'll see how they look after work. At the time of the pour, there was just a slighter variation between 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%. Which would be correct since my Palm Oil is only 20% to begin with. I did so enjoy weighing out 0.11oz.

Latest posts

Back