What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hit me up if you know where to get some, um, inappropriate molds....
New-Arrival-Emoji-Expression-Silicone-Mold-Cake-Chocolates-Moulds-Candy-Ice-Baking-Tools-QW883896.jpg

Just an innocent image search for ā€œemoji silicone moldā€. Zillions of hits. And, needless to say: about half of the hits were for that one emoji that for sure is the best fit for ā€¦ umm ā€¦ the other end of the digestive tract.

Another (yet less childish) option would be that you perfect your embed (or soap dough) technique, and make columns with the respective words, that then go through the whole bar of soap (instead of just on the surface). Happy side-effect: Once you've mastered ā€œBUTTā€, nothing can go wrong for next year's ā€œSteelersā€!

I made my second batch of my new obsession, lip balms! For those who missed the memo, the silicone measuring cups are a breeze to clean up recipes with beeswax.

Got my soapy laugh of the day, too! I've talked before here about my beloved brother-in-law. Great guy but very unlike me in many ways, it took us years to get close. His normal outfit is a threadbare baseball cap held together with dirt, tank top, and gym shorts. I am not judging at all but just want to paint a picture that you would not put "BIL" and "pamper" together. But he's totally into my hobby! He's given very specific feedback on my mechanic's soap and lotion bars. Tonight he asked for a non-moisturizing soap (I know, I know!) labeled "FACE" and a moisturizing soap (I know, I know!) labeled...wait for it..."BUTT." Hit me up if you know where to get some, um, inappropriate molds....
Omg I need silicone measuring cups! Iā€™m way overdue to make some lip balm and I dread the mess.
Also, Iā€™ve been in a deep bath bomb blitz! Trying to build, or arrange a proper drying space. I love how theyā€™re ready within a few days if I can get them to dry in my humid environment. And, for the same price as a soap theyā€™re used up more quickly. But, Iā€™ve got 3 soaps in the queue that Iā€™m excited to make during the rain this weekend. Rainy days are no good for bath bombs. Plan on extruding the embeds tonight so they have a chance to stiffen up.

I made my second batch of my new obsession, lip balms! For those who missed the memo, the silicone measuring cups are a breeze to clean up recipes with beeswax.

Got my soapy laugh of the day, too! I've talked before here about my beloved brother-in-law. Great guy but very unlike me in many ways, it took us years to get close. His normal outfit is a threadbare baseball cap held together with dirt, tank top, and gym shorts. I am not judging at all but just want to paint a picture that you would not put "BIL" and "pamper" together. But he's totally into my hobby! He's given very specific feedback on my mechanic's soap and lotion bars. Tonight he asked for a non-moisturizing soap (I know, I know!) labeled "FACE" and a moisturizing soap (I know, I know!) labeled...wait for it..."BUTT." Hit me up if you know where to get some, um, inappropriate molds....
I had a šŸ’© mold that was hugely popular last holiday season! I didnā€™t get around to making more this year. But, I still may. I had elf, snowman, fairy, and unicorn poops.

@pinpointpete

TIP: It's best to show off your soaps in the Photo Gallery and then post a link here. It gives us an opportunity to comment whereas, if posted here, it gets buried quickly!

We LUV pictures -- even when a batch goes awry. Hopefully that won't happen, but if it does, see it as an opportunity to learn more.

You can also use the Photo Gallery as a log of every batch you make. Include the recipe as well as your comments about how you processed it for future reference. I only wish I had that available to me when I first started making soap in 2003. It's a great way to chronicle your progress in the Wonderful World of Soapmaking!!!

HAPPY SOAPING!

Last edited:
My soapy thing today...I am trying to recreate a soapy accident from a year or two ago when I was learning wall pours. I suck at them. I get soap everywhere. The last soap that I did was a perfect fit as far as soap batter to mold ratio goes. I ended up spilling so much while trying to do a wall pour, that I ended up with half sized bars of super neat soap LOL. Kinda made me mad. Still mad cause I don't know if I can ever make something like that again. Plus my cutting bars was less than par back then, so my soap really took a hit on size.

So here I am with the challenge looming, trying to recreate that last bar of soap that I have left.

I made extra batter because of my spilling tendencies while doing a wall pour. And wouldn't you know that I didn't spill a drop. So now I have 200grams of soap batter that I don't know what to do with.

I know you are thinking to just put it in molds, but I always get so much ash on individual mold "extra" pours even if I cpop with the rest of the loaf, that I usually throw them away. So I'm probably gonna skip the extra step of pouring into cavity molds and just throw away the extra batter...it's unscented anyway, except for a small bit.
I make a ton of ā€œextraā€ individual mold soaps with left overs from pull throughs! They get horrible ash. But, when Iā€™m ready to package them I hold them with a pair of tongs in front of a cheap clothes steamer and voila! Theyā€™re gorgeous. I let them dry overnight, and theyā€™re always a big hit!

Zing
I never use lip balm, I am more like your brother in law in dress. However, I do have the bees and the wax and I do need to try and remember where to look for your recipe cause who knows. I like using things that I have for something that I can pretend is productive. I have not found a use for wax yet that makes it worth it to me. I have given small amounts to my kids but do not think they followed through either. I am glad you are happy with it and that may be what moves me to try, maybe.
Cheers
gww
Are you a beekeeper? Our youngest was a beekeeper during his teen years and it was fascinating! For the lip balm recipe, click on this, Lip balm . I like the bookmarking feature; in case you don't know, it's the thingy on the top right brown bar of a post.
Lotion bars (like chapstick for your skin) are super easy too. I do 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 butter, 1/3 soft oil. It's easy to remelt and tweak if you want it oilier or waxier.

Curing three different formulas, testing the first two. Have a few more weeks on batch 3 before testing.
Those look great! It's hard to wait, isn't it? You can cure your soaps on wax/freezer/parchment paper.

Iā€™m way overdue to make some lip balm and I dread the mess.
I use a 2-cup Pyrex and thoroughly melt the ingredients (carefully) in the Microwave to a temp slightly over the melt-point of the wax.

I set up my tubes while waiting for the batch to cool to 160Ā°F -- the maximum temp allowed for the tubes.
Lip Balm Holder.jpg
Lip Lubes.jpg

Homemade tube holder. Filled 24 Lip Balms with 1 oz. round container for personal use.

With a steady hand, I pour directly from the Pyrex cup into the tubes. If the batch cools to where it is no longer is fluid, I nuke it for 10-20 seconds, stir and continue pouring. Makes 50 lip balms.

For clean-up, I use A & H Washing Soda, 1 tablespoon dissolved in 16 oz. boiling water. After about 5 minutes, all the wax rises to the top. Skim off with a paper towel and discard. Pyrex cup can then go into the dishwasher.

The soda water can be saved and reheated for the next time. :thumbs: ;)

Second attempt at CP, first successful attempt. Plain recipe, no color, no fancy techniques but I'm just happy it came out of the mold and cut nicely. You all are such an inspiration with the exotic and enticing soaps I see here. Thanks for keeping me motivated (and educated) so that I can enjoy this amazing hobby.
16392577648164950889095266675032.jpg

When I was attempting to make sugar scrub cubes last week I blended up a bunch of soap trimmings into crumbs. After becoming disgusted with that experiment and cleaning up my mess, I remembered that someone on this forum said you could rebatch soap by moistening shreds for a few days. So I added some water to the container, sealed it up and forgot about it. I just remembered and checked on it. It's turned into a soft paste and I just put it in a mold. I suspect it'll need quite a while to harden up... šŸ¤žšŸ¤ž

There are custom mould makers on Etsy who I'm sure will be quite happy to make whatever you like.
I also seem to recall seeing soap moulds with similar words on them somewhere (though it probably said "ars3" rather than "butt" for the UK market)... If I spot them again I'll leave a link.

Edit: how about these? Face And Butt soap or plaster magnet ornament mold 4521

Second attempt at CP, first successful attempt. Plain recipe, no color, no fancy techniques but I'm just happy it came out of the mold and cut nicely. You all are such an inspiration with the exotic and enticing soaps I see here. Thanks for keeping me motivated (and educated) so that I can enjoy this amazing hobby.View attachment 63139
They look great. I think the plain natural bars are just as beautiful as the colorful swirls and patters.

There are custom mould makers on Etsy who I'm sure will be quite happy to make whatever you like.
I also seem to recall seeing soap moulds with similar words on them somewhere (though it probably said "ars3" rather than "butt" for the UK market)... If I spot them again I'll leave a link.

Edit: how about these? Face And Butt soap or plaster magnet ornameOh,nt mold 4521
Oh, @Babyshoes , I just roared for 30 minutes and could hardly breathe and talk! LM-kitten-loving-AO!! Thanks for the tips!

Second attempt at CP, first successful attempt. Plain recipe, no color, no fancy techniques but I'm just happy it came out of the mold and cut nicely.
Lovely soaps! Well done! To be honest, I LUV plain Jane soaps. :nodding:

Here's a TIP for you in case you missed it above.

Oh, @Babyshoes , I just roared for 30 minutes and could hardly breathe and talk! LM-kitten-loving-AO!! Thanks for the tips!
Me too! Whoda thunk it? That there actually is a soap mold of your BIL's dreams!
Smack Laugh.gif

Second attempt at CP, first successful attempt. Plain recipe, no color, no fancy techniques but I'm just happy it came out of the mold and cut nicely. You all are such an inspiration with the exotic and enticing soaps I see here. Thanks for keeping me motivated (and educated) so that I can enjoy this amazing hobby.View attachment 63139
That's beautiful and congratulations! I also like the "simple" (we know there's no such thing as simple CP soap)! My wife is going crazy over one of my white bars and swears it's the best I've ever made. It's my same old recipe and was leftover batter in a single cavity mold. I think it's because it's this beautiful white bar.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back