What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut yesterday's soap and breathed a sigh of relief and joy, Ta-da! . And did the dishes.

Also, I made more lotion bars today scented with rosemary EO and made with beeswax, cupuacu butter, meadowfoam seed oil (mmmmmmm), and fractionated coconut oil.

My best bud's birthday party is tomorrow and I'll package up some lotion bars and soap for him. He's a fanatic for my lotion bars. With all due respect to a certain German friend on here -- maybe not, sorry not sorry but certain German friend made a smarta-- remark about my TD post -- but my bud is celebrating his birthday with a German tradition of walking house to house and eating stewed kale and it's called a Kohlfart. Kitten Love?! Really?! Most people I know are happy with cake and ice cream on their birthday. And snow is predicted. But he's my best bud so I'll go on this walk and eat stewed kale because that's just how I roll.
Any chance you would share your lotion bar recipe? It sounds yummy!

Beautiful! Everything is so well done - soaps, packaging, etc. Good luck with the stampede.
Gorgeous display!

Love your soaps! Very tie-dyedesque!

Whew! What a soapy day! I had the holiday day off and feel muy productivo. First, I made lotion bars. I'm splurging on my Christmas gifts this year and using 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 cupuacu butter (lookin' at you, @lianasouza and hoping I'm spelling and pronouncing right for a family newspaper), and 1/3 combo of fractionated coconut oil and meadowfoam seed oil (mmmm!) and jojoba.

I also made soap, a Pittsburgh Steelers themed soap for beloved Sis and -- gah! -- now I'm totally angsty. Must. Wait. 24 hours. It was quite the project with 3 mini-column molds as embeds. My stick blender is on the fritz and I used it sparingly. So much stirring. So much math. Now, so much wine....
Thank you 🤗🧼. I noticed your post on your SB' I may be having the same problem its worn out' lol can you Let us know how your new SB works out for you? tis the season ☃🎄.

Gorgeous display!
Aww thank you 🤗💫

Getting ready for my first indoor farmers market in my small town. Here’s my trial run setup, I smudged out my business banner logo for this forum but I’m really excited about it. Fingers crossed!
View attachment 62514
Love your set up' & your soap is beautiful!!! Best of luck on your 1st farmers market' how exciting. 🤗🧼

Any chance you would share your lotion bar recipe? It sounds yummy!
Heck yeah, I'm an evangelist! I do variations on a theme of 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 butter (cocoa or shea or cupuacu), 1/3 liquid oil (jojoba, apricot kernel, fractionated coconut, coconut, etc.) Just minutes to make. And no cure time so if you don't like the hardness/oiliness, just re-melt and tweak away.

My soapy thing yesterday night was to put a few troublesome composite soaps into the oven for a (very) late emergency CPOP. Four months ago now, I had split a batter into a solid loaf and soap dough, then cut up the loaf and puttied together with the soap dough.
Everything appeared to be fine, until some weeks later, I noticed that some of the joints weren't stable, but gaps opened. It seemed like the CP soap contracted quicker upon curing than the soap dough. I decided to forget about it give it some more time to mellow out. It didn't.
Yesterday I put the bars on a baking pan, and gave them an hour at 100°C in the oven. They indeed softened, and the gaps closed. Call it emergency CPOP, or call it welding. Just now, after one night of cooling down again, they seem firmer and more robust than ever (albeit with some blisters on top from the direct heat radiation of the heating coil).

walking house to house and eating stewed kale and it's called a Kohlfart
Sure he didn't wind you up, and rather made a Kohlfahrt instead? Or is the missing “h” a subtle Freudian nod to your adolescent mind?

Well, Zany.. your NSCS is not fool proof! I made my first batch yesterday and unmolded today about 24 hours later. The soap is very soft. I realized late last night that I failed to change the default lye water ratio from 2:1 to 1.7:1. Maybe it will firm up someday? Or maybe I should rebatch? It was my first time using the SMF lye calc, so who knows how I might have mangled your recipe. And it’s really hot here.
It will harden up without doubt. Rebatching would make things only worse. But it's an interesting “mistake” in any case. As long as you have the correct amount of NaOH, it'll be safe soap. You've added too much water more water than in Zany's canonical recipe. Nothing wrong with that, except you cannot call it “official” ZNSC. And: you have a bit more salt in it (assuming you've used pre-mixed faux sea water to make the lye solution).
And keep in mind: Unmoulding after 24 hours is already very good from a traditional castile point of view, so it's more a success than a failure in any case!

Heck yeah, I'm an evangelist! I do variations on a theme of 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 butter (cocoa or shea or cupuacu), 1/3 liquid oil (jojoba, apricot kernel, fractionated coconut, coconut, etc.) Just minutes to make. And no cure time so if you don't like the hardness/oiliness, just re-melt and tweak away.
Thank you Zing!! That’s what I’m doing today!!!

It will harden up without doubt. Rebatching would make things only worse. But it's an interesting “mistake” in any case. As long as you have the correct amount of NaOH, it'll be safe soap. You've added too much water more water than in Zany's canonical recipe. Nothing wrong with that, except you cannot call it “official” ZNSC. And: you have a bit more salt in it (assuming you've used pre-mixed faux sea water to make the lye solution).
And keep in mind: Unmoulding after 24 hours is already very good from a traditional castile point of view, so it's more a success than a failure in any case!
[/QUOTE]
Dear R O, Thank you for the words of encouragement! I noticed that the bars are a bit more firm today. I did use Faux Sea Water in the recipe. I had lots left over and I wondered about using it in other recipes?

Cocoa butter alone appears like the ideal single oil to make M&P soap from … except it doesn't. It just won't firm up, and moreover stays somewhat opaque. Well, I blended it with some very nicely M&P soap based on hydrogenated canola, and it turned out to be alright:
canola_cocoa.jpg
(Just as a reminder: Grain alcohol, palm oil & derivatives (stearic acid), coconut/PKO/lauric acid, or syndets are STRICTLY OPTIONAL in M&P soap.)

I wondered about using it in other recipes?
Yes of course: more ZNSC! Your subconsciousness already has tried to speed up consumption, by using more per part of soap 😜.
Joke aside, salt + baking soda solution for one doesn't spoil easily, and you can keep it in the fridge probably for weeks. It also makes, contrary to popular opinion, a superb brine to soak & cook legumes in (lentils, beans, chickpeas) – quicker & more consistent cooking, less bursts. Another thing to do with it is to clean tarnished silver.

I cut my chocolate soap today and it looks pretty, but I forgot to take pics before I put them away. Smells yummy.

Then I got myself wrapped up in a soap dough snowman project inspired by Soy and Shea's you tube video. I have been collecting soap dough from leftover soap just for this. I got my little snow guys and gals put together. I think they are going to stick LOL. I never molded soap dough before. The heads kept falling off. I guess I wet them too much.

I am one hour past my bedtime already, so I am going to have to put clothes on them tomorrow. Some of them look pretty sad, which is why I made extras. But as soon as I get hats and scarves on them, I think they will look a little more happy LOL

View attachment 62488
Those are SOOOOO cute Cat!! I’ve been playing with soap dough too and thought I’d try an Olaf for a frozen soap

When I make it I use the faux sea water in whatever recipe I’m making at the time. No wasting here. But I need to make note and bookmark @AliOop % listed earlier. Seems a wee bit easier.
I was just reading up elsewhere and realized that I should have used the FSW to make my seaweed soap. Look at me learning stuff! I will start using the FSW everywhere and track down @AliOop!

Just finished another soaping session. Yeah, uh-huh, 5th one this week and it's not even noon!

I used my leftovers from making cylinders -- so it's a rectangles and squares large "confetti" soap. Still getting used to working with that T&S. It was actually a 2 session/1 mold soap as I'm working on straight lines. Lord knows where I'll cure it -- running out of surface area.

Also thinking of another design for more leftovers. I fear my obsession has made a dark turn. I dreamt last night that my confetti soap all fell apart around the embeds. :eek::p

Oh, and @ResolvableOwl , I just copied that German word from the invitation. I can barely spell in English (especially "wierd" and "neice"). And who, moi? Adolescent mind? Perhaps you're thinking of @Misschief?

Last edited:
Oh, and @ResolvableOwl , I just copied that German word from the invitation. I can barely spell in English (especially "wierd" and "neice"). And who, moi? Adolescent mind? Perhaps you're thinking of @Misschief?

Hey now!! Just because I make poop soap occasionally doesn't mean I have an adolescent mind, yanno!
:smallshrug:👅

@ResolvableOwl, would Kohlfahrt be something like the Dutch Boerenkool Stamppot?

Getting ready for my first indoor farmers market in my small town. Here’s my trial run setup, I smudged out my business banner logo for this forum but I’m really excited about it. Fingers crossed!
View attachment 62514
Those soaps look incredible! 💕🎶💕

Dear R O, Thank you for the words of encouragement! I noticed that the bars are a bit more firm today. I did use Faux Sea Water in the recipe. I had lots left over and I wondered about using it in other recipes?
[/QUOTE]
I’ve wondered the same thing about faux sea water in other recipes. Would love to hear results if others have tried it.

@ResolvableOwl, would Kohlfahrt be something like the Dutch Boerenkool Stamppot?
Oof, me, the freshwater sailor, hasn't heard about Kohlfahrt until today either 😳😂. One could barely buy the kale vegetable (nl: boerenkool) around here up until a few years ago. So far with my super-knowledgeable, quickly read up expertise about my compatriots. Boerenkool stamppot is the dish that's closely related to what the German-speaking coastals call „Grünkohl & Pinkel”. The „Kohlfahrt“ is the event/gathering to “prepare” for eating the Grünkohl dish, by walking around and, umm … not neglecting liquid intake meanwhile („Fahrt“ means that a vehicle is included – needed as a logistic support for said beverages). Very grown-up indeed. I guess @Zing has some idea what to expect there?

Oof, me, the freshwater sailor, hasn't heard about Kohlfahrt until today either 😳😂. One could barely buy the kale vegetable (nl: boerenkool) around here up until a few years ago. So far with my super-knowledgeable, quickly read up expertise about my compatriots. Boerenkool stamppot is the dish that's closely related to what the German-speaking coastals call „Grünkohl & Pinkel”. The „Kohlfahrt“ is the event/gathering to “prepare” for eating the Grünkohl dish, by walking around and, umm … not neglecting liquid intake meanwhile („Fahrt“ means that a vehicle is included – needed as a logistic support for said beverages). Very grown-up indeed. I guess @Zing has some idea what to expect there?
Thank you :)

I had a pretty soapy day today. The first one in a month or more! First I trimmed and cleaned up some cured soaps, then I portioned out my big slab of shea butter, then I made soap! I screwed up from the get go. I was going to do a green tree swirl in a white (uncolored) batter, but I poured my green sea clay and spirulina into all the essential oil. So I changed plans and decided to do a dark green tree in a lighter green batter. I spilled a bunch of batter, and I'm pretty sure I screwed up the tree swirl, but that's okay. I won't mind too much if it doesn't look like a tree. The EO blend might be my new favorite! It's "Under the Stars" from EOcalc. Equal parts fir needle, cedarwood, vetiver and clary sage. It smells like a freshly cut Christmas tree, so I'm calling this soap, "O, Christmas Tree" even if the swirl doesn't end up looking like a tree!

Okay, so to totally hijack this thread and take over to comment on some obscure activity that supposedly Germans find "fun," I have just returned from a Kohlfahrt. Today is my best bud's birthday. Both he and his daughter spent some highschool and college time in Germany. I think the whole thing is an excuse to drink some, um, beverages. It's a good COVID-19 activity. We loaded a wagon with snacks and, you know, beverages, and walked along the Mississippi River stopping at a bonfire. There were several games and drinking of beverages. We got the first snow of the season, which actually was super cool.

We finished at my bud's home for a stout dinner of that traditional birthday dish of kale (what the kitten love? [Note Mods, I just self-censored]), sausages, potatoes, and German chocolate cake. He roared when he opened up my gift of Kohlfahrt lotion bars.
And I learned that Kohlfahrt is celebrated in the fall and there is a similar tradition to celebrate asparagus in the spring. Those Germans certainly know how to have a good time....

And to bring it back to the subject at hand, I turned my curing soaps which now number in the hundreds but it is still a simple pleasure, reached under the towels for a quick feel of my gelling soap, labeled lotion bar tins, and planned out a design and recipe for tomorrow's soap session.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back