What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I woke up this morning to an email saying that my friend made it through the night. Promptly burst into tears as I had woken up several times wondering and praying, and it was such a relief to know she's still fighting.

Unmolded and cut my soap from yesterday, and also unmolded the extras that went into cavity molds. My batter was super fluid so everything came out so smooth. Will try to add pics later.

Last edited:
Thanks think I'm all good now ♥😍
@earlene @Mobjack Bay ❤️♥️
Pretty sure it's all good. No redness or swelling today but in over ten years I've never spilled it in such a large area.

Think I was just in shock cause I know better, I was pretty shaken up. Didn't help I had read last week about a dude's foot and lye burns.

I do think some natural instinct took over though as I didn't clean bench or where was spilled until after I flushed my arm and hands in water for five minutes. I didn't care about the laminate or even my scales even though this all happened in front of my landlord. 🤣😂

Terrible time to spill lye... when you have raw sewage coming up drain and trying to limit water 🤣😂

I am laughing now, yet the only thing I've been able to do today is bottle some body wash and I unmoulded these babies...

Literally just took this so excuse the bad photo. I always include a couple of lotion bars in gift boxes as a sample sort of thing. I am trying a new method as it's reaching 36 degrees here already and humidity is crazy.

So I've decided to freeze them in tins (enclosed in a ziplock bag). That way if they do melt they'll resolidify in tin. I don't think they will melt completely. They may become mushy - like if you touch - but I've not had them completely liquidfy yet (touch wood). But you know, it's Australia 🤣😂🤣
IMG_20211030_130535.jpg

@AliOop glad that your friend is fighting. Hope she comes through. ♥

@AAShillito I am sending healing energy your way. Hope it clears up soon

Last edited:
Though quite a bit overdue, I'm handing in the wafers for @Vicki C's calorie orgy better late than never 😋

waffle.jpg

The colour fits great, though you have to believe me that it's a somewhat “accidental” side effect from the oils. I had wanted to use mustard oil and ucuuba butter in test batches, and I branched off these three dabs of this batter for waffle making. WARNING: Ucuuba butter (at least the deep brown “virgin wild harvesting” quality I've got) has a penetrating smoky smell, that even appears to intensify during saponification. Heavy bonfire vibes, but nothing for those whose noses despise grünkern spelt, smoked ham, or traditional mate tea from Paraguay or Brazil.

The right waffle was the first I had (tried to) get off the plastic surface (originally made for breaded camembert), two days into cure, but the soap was still so soft that I had to knead it into soap dough instead. Press this into the plastic instead. Another day later, the soap had only hardened up by a bit; you see that I still had to use some violence to get them off. tl;dr: Use a quick-moving, well-behaved, hard recipe for this.

I cut the soap I made yesterday. The first one is the attempt at the line pour that turned into a line plop. I love it! Disasters often come out in ways that you couldn’t plan. Or replicate for that matter. I cut the center bar on a different axis, so you can really see where in the pouring the batter began seizing up.

And the second soap is my do-over from the indigo soap. This time just using micas. I love everything about it except the orange. It’s like that one song on a great mixtape that you regret adding. And yes, I dated myself.
4D4483E9-73BF-41C3-92B6-81B05842DF0D.jpeg
77DA12AC-1F7E-45DA-B1BF-F3EC57002A14.jpeg

I woke up this morning to an email saying that my friend made it through the night. Promptly burst into tears as I had woken up several times wondering and praying, and it was such a relief to know she's still fighting.

Unmolded and cut my soap from yesterday, and also unmolded the extras that went into cavity molds. My batter was super fluid so everything came out so smooth. Will try to add pics later.

Praying for your friend 🙏

Wow! You are rockin' the natural colorants! I like them all -- some look good enough to eat -- but am especially impressed with the reverse feather. Every October I make a couple of attempts at it with varying success (not happening this year, ran out of time).
Love your natural colors' very pretty. 🤗🧼

Glad your friend is fighting the good fight. God bless her. 🙏🏼 💞

Yesterday I wrapped & labeled soap & put them in the third & final storing location tell they go to there new home's, then I moved my soap that is curing from first location to second curing location, due to limited space its like my soap is playing musical cubbies' 🤣😂🧼.
I was going to practice piping roses to put on top my next soap but wasn't up to it.

Oh I had an idea on a swirling technique last night, I was in between wake & dream-state when the thought came to mind so I may try that swirling technique today 💫🤣😃.

I cut the soap I made yesterday. The first one is the attempt at the line pour that turned into a line plop. I love it! Disasters often come out in ways that you couldn’t plan. Or replicate for that matter. I cut the center bar on a different axis, so you can really see where in the pouring the batter began seizing up.

And the second soap is my do-over from the indigo soap. This time just using micas. I love everything about it except the orange. It’s like that one song on a great mixtape that you regret adding. And yes, I dated myself.View attachment 62206View attachment 62207
I love both of those but I particularly love that pop of orange. Beautifully done!

Just finished round #2 of the Uganda soap demo project. Tonight was a CP soap poured at emulsion, with some oil swirls on top. It was a good session, but bittersweet when my husband texted from the other room that my dear friend is not expected to make it through the night. She's been in ICU for several weeks and intubated for almost a week. She's also my hairdresser and the one who arranged for me to sell soaps through the salon where she works. Still hoping and praying for a miracle.💔
😢 🙏

Wow! You are rockin' the natural colorants! I like them all -- some look good enough to eat -- but am especially impressed with the reverse feather. Every October I make a couple of attempts at it with varying success (not happening this year, ran out of time).
It was so nerve wracking working with the pine sap. Was expecting it to accelerate so fast but it didn’t😃

I've been formulating a coenzyme Q10 cream which I finally was happy with. I made a 1000g batch for gift boxes due on Wednesday.
While syringing it into the biodegradable tubes (so excited to find some that break down) I somehow broke my beaker and I lost 80% of it. Pressure??
View attachment 62139
I had only filled two tubes. I did scrap some from the top just for me (hoping there's no glass🤣)

View attachment 62141
Looked and felt lovely.
Until...
View attachment 62142
Then tonight it's raining and raw sewage is coming from drains. It stinks. Contacted landlord and thought I'd be proactive and make some "draino" - and guess what I did. 😓

Like a freaking newb.

A beginner mistake.... I still am in shock.... It's my first real one ever.... But I spilled hot lye water all over my arm and hands. Can't believe it's my first ever NaOH burn (been making soap for many years). Not a huge area but on my left arm (and right hand more on the back of hand). I held the areas under running water and have flushed it a few times. That's the right thing to do right? Continue to wash regularly next 24hrs??

Sorry to hear about the lye mishap:(
@earlene @Mobjack Bay ❤♥
Pretty sure it's all good. No redness or swelling today but in over ten years I've never spilled it in such a large area.

Think I was just in shock cause I know better, I was pretty shaken up. Didn't help I had read last week about a dude's foot and lye burns.

I do think some natural instinct took over though as I didn't clean bench or where was spilled until after I flushed my arm and hands in water for five minutes. I didn't care about the laminate or even my scales even though this all happened in front of my landlord. 🤣😂

Terrible time to spill lye... when you have raw sewage coming up drain and trying to limit water 🤣😂

I am laughing now, yet the only thing I've been able to do today is bottle some body wash and I unmoulded these babies...

Literally just took this so excuse the bad photo. I always include a couple of lotion bars in gift boxes as a sample sort of thing. I am trying a new method as it's reaching 36 degrees here already and humidity is crazy.

So I've decided to freeze them in tins (enclosed in a ziplock bag). That way if they do melt they'll resolidify in tin. I don't think they will melt completely. They may become mushy - like if you touch - but I've not had them completely liquidfy yet (touch wood). But you know, it's Australia 🤣😂🤣
View attachment 62202

Happy to hear you are recovering well from the lye mishap!
Hoping too that the air around you is now pleasantly kind:)

If you are up to it, could you share with us more details about the biodegradable tubes?
I'd like to see how they look like and how they hold up.
Cheers!

Oh dear, the mother in law stories here just make me laugh and symphatise in equal measure. It’s time they rolled their sleeves up and come with the intention of helping; creating bonds of love and being a support.

I hope it goes well for you.

I cleaned up yesterday too, and packed away all the oils and dishes from last week. I cleaned my soap grubby laundry floor too.
Had bought some new FO and now packed those away too. Now I’m seriously running out of space.

Sorry to hear about the lye mishap:(

Happy to hear you are recovering well from the lye mishap!
Hoping too that the air around you is now pleasantly kind:)

If you are up to it, could you share with us more details about the biodegradable tubes?
I'd like to see how they look like and how they hold up.
Cheers!
Absolutely. I got samples tubes from a few different Australian Suppliers.

Accidentally pressed enter more details coming one sec. Just want to save this bit first.

Primepac
synergy packaging
And the most awesome place in Bryon bay (that I'd have to search my email for to remember name)

I've tried the aluminium tubes, bioferment tubes and compostable pouches.

I found just recently that New Directions Australia sell Bio-Plastic.

I just signed up to Terracycle too and am offering return your plastic free program (I have to pay to send box back) but I figure I can use this cost and write it into my COG.

So far the plastic options have been very distressing for me. I don't even use glad wrap/cling wrap.

I offer aluminium containers and refill yourself compostible pouches. With a disclaimer about cross contamination etc.

The bio plastic ones I've got at the moment have a couple of different plastics and they have to be recycled correctly as even with it mostly being able to break down correctly, the tops usually need to be sent in to recycle.

. Aldo you need a proper heat sealor though.

About to go to bed. Will update when I get up

Last edited:
Absolutely. I got samples tubes from a few different Australian Suppliers.

Accidentally pressed enter more details coming one sec. Just want to save this bit first.

Primepac
synergy packaging
And the most awesome place in Bryon bay (that I'd have to search my email for to remember name)

I've tried the aluminium tubes, bioferment tubes and compostable pouches.

I found just recently that New Directions Australia sell Bio-Plastic.

I just signed up to Terracycle too and am offering return your plastic free program (I have to pay to send box back) but I figure I can use this cost and write it into my COG.

So far the plastic options have been very distressing for me. I don't even use glad wrap/cling wrap.

I offer aluminium containers and refill yourself compostible pouches. With a disclaimer about cross contamination etc.

The bio plastic ones I've got at the moment have a couple of different plastics and they have to be recycled correctly as even with it mostly being able to break down correctly, the tops usually need to be sent in to recycle.

. Aldo you need a proper heat sealor though.

About to go to bed. Will update when I get up

Thank you @Juggsy.

I shall check out the different supplies and see what they have.
I feel your pain in regards to plastic:(

I'm currently using glass jars and bottles. Due to product contamination during use, I was thinking of transitioning to biodegradable tubes- only if they are easy to use while packaging creams etc.

Have a great day when you wake up!

I did nothing soapy today :(. I am going to start planning something for tomorrow though. I waited so long for my lye to come in, now it's here and its still sitting in the box lol.

I did plan on making soap this afternoon, but then I did a shellfish-fest for myself...yummm. Crabs, clams, and shrimp. All for me LOL. I got done cooking it all and decided to not make the corn because it looked like so much food...shoulda made the corn. I ate one pound of crab legs, a half a pound of shrimp, and a few dozen clams. The cat staring at me the whole time in envy. Then she turned her nose up to the shrimp I put in her bowl. Guess its not the same if she doesn't steal it from the table.

Then I made blueberry muffins because I have a bunch of fresh blueberries. Ate two of those.

Belly full, I took a three hour on and off nap on the sofa while watching saved episodes of Days of Our Lives while the roomba vacuumed the bedroom. The laziest day of my life.

So I guess I will make two batches of soap tomorrow to make up for it. I have xmas fragrances that I gotta use up.

@earlene @Mobjack Bay ❤♥

View attachment 62202

Thank u

Thank you @Juggsy.

I shall check out the different supplies and see what they have.
I feel your pain in regards to plastic:(

I'm currently using glass jars and bottles. Due to product contamination during use, I was thinking of transitioning to biodegradable tubes- only if they are easy to use while packaging creams etc.

Have a great day when you wake up!
I use glass - frosted glass, serum pumps etc as well. But some customers like tubes. No matter how much I try to avoid. I seem to get asked for squeeze tubes...
I figure if I offer recycling maybe it will encourage change.

But these are quite decent. One of the cheaper options I've seen without MQO of 1,000.

But honestly contact the supplier. Ask for samples, you will have to pay for them, well I did but think it was worth it.
IMG_20211031_140424.jpg
IMG_20211031_140450.jpg

Excuse my feet 🤣🤣

Sometimes embarrassing our kids is one of the joys of being a parent. They may not see it that way at the time, but wait a few years & listen to them talk amongst themselves and you'll notice them laughing about those times. I used to keep a book in my car with the title something like, How to Embarrass your Kids Without Even Trying. It was a hoot. My sons actually thought I was taking hints from the book with the sole purpose of embarrassing them in front of their friends.

When we went to see Dead & Company 2 weeks ago with my younger son (he's 50 now!), I told him, "Bobby is even more handsome today than he was when he was 17" and right after I said it, I thought that was probably not something he wanted to hear his mother say. He was joking about it later that night or the next day, so I guess he saw the humor in it. I believe kids just don't like to think of their parents as having sexual thoughts or tendencies. I recall as a teenager, being embarrassed if my parents even kissed each other.

Sort of soapy thing: I went to use my DIY Deodorant & found that the roll-up thingy has stopped working. What a bummer. I guess they can't be re-used indefinitely after all. I'll have to melt it down and put it into another tube that still works.
Oh gosh, I wish I could have a cup of coffee and listen to your stories @earlene you have lived an amazing life 🥰🥰

I won't be able to soap for one more week as I'm still visiting relatives (I'm living vicariously through all your soaping adventures!) but I'm going to use some time next week to plan my Christmas soap and order some supplies, so I'm hopefully all prepped when I'm back.

Also, catching up on recommended soaping videos saved from posts on the forum (that "watch later" feature on YouTube is my watch list for the weekend 😁)

Oh dear, the mother in law stories here just make me laugh and symphatise in equal measure. It’s time they rolled their sleeves up and come with the intention of helping; creating bonds of love and being a support.

Mothers-in-Law Unite!

I am a mother-in-law. My DIL calls me often to ask advice or to help with granddaughter or even with son. And I am always willing to help as needed. As are many many many here who love their in-law sons & daughters.

But anyway, that quote you quoted was a quote from a post made in 2014. I'm not sure how many MIL stories showed up in this thread in the past 7 years, but many of us here at SMF are fabulous Mothers-in-Law!

Oh gosh, I wish I could have a cup of coffee and listen to your stories @earlene you have lived an amazing life 🥰
I'm sure your life is just as amazing and that you have loads of fun anecdotes as well. I've never been to Australia and I'd absolutely love to visit your grand continent! I can only imagine the adventures we could have were we to get together and share our respective memories and building new ones!

Back