What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BACK TO THE SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD NOW. Ahem. 😁

Last night I made and diluted a lovely HTLS. After letting it sit overnight, today I scented it with one of my favorite naughty fragrances (goat milk and shea) that can't be used in CP due to ricing, acceleration, and browning.

Then I decided to film the next demo for the Ugandan project, which is to be a cold process soap. I've been filming the process ahead of time so we can watch and discuss when we meet over Zoom. Suddenly I realized that if I did a butterfly swirl instead of a Taiwan swirl, I might squeeze in an entry for this month's challenge. Maybe??

So I rushed to set up the tripod with camera, get everything measured, etc., which all took longer than expected due to needing to wash a few things. While rushing, I accidentally measured in castor oil instead of olive oil... sheesh. Of course this made the batter accelerate. It wasn't a total plop and glop, but it was definitely pudding but the time the last bits were being shoveled in.

Oh well. I swirled vigorously with the gear tie and textured the top. Then it went straight onto the heating pad, covered with an insulated box. It will be interesting to see if there is anything remotely resembling a butterfly, or just blobs. It also may not be ready to unmold in time to photograph and enter; I've never used that much castor but am guessing the bar may be soft for awhile. Like, forever. Time will tell... stay tuned...

Last edited:
My kids wont let me watch Aquaman or Thor... because they hate all the comments I make about how beautiful they are. I can even embarrass them in their own home! 🤪 😁
Sometimes embarrassing our kids is one of the joys of being a parent. They may not see it that way at the time, but wait a few years & listen to them talk amongst themselves and you'll notice them laughing about those times. I used to keep a book in my car with the title something like, How to Embarrass your Kids Without Even Trying. It was a hoot. My sons actually thought I was taking hints from the book with the sole purpose of embarrassing them in front of their friends.

When we went to see Dead & Company 2 weeks ago with my younger son (he's 50 now!), I told him, "Bobby is even more handsome today than he was when he was 17" and right after I said it, I thought that was probably not something he wanted to hear his mother say. He was joking about it later that night or the next day, so I guess he saw the humor in it. I believe kids just don't like to think of their parents as having sexual thoughts or tendencies. I recall as a teenager, being embarrassed if my parents even kissed each other.

Sort of soapy thing: I went to use my DIY Deodorant & found that the roll-up thingy has stopped working. What a bummer. I guess they can't be re-used indefinitely after all. I'll have to melt it down and put it into another tube that still works.

Oh, peeps, peeps, peeps, I never ever thought I'd say this but I think I am soaped out! Just finished my fifth batch in 5 days, or is it 6? What day is it, Blursday?! I'm not even gonna do any dishes.

I'm definitely all soaped out for the time being. The blue line soap put me over the edge!

Just finished round #2 of the Uganda soap demo project. Tonight was a CP soap poured at emulsion, with some oil swirls on top. It was a good session, but bittersweet when my husband texted from the other room that my dear friend is not expected to make it through the night. She's been in ICU for several weeks and intubated for almost a week. She's also my hairdresser and the one who arranged for me to sell soaps through the salon where she works. Still hoping and praying for a miracle.💔

I've been formulating a coenzyme Q10 cream which I finally was happy with. I made a 1000g batch for gift boxes due on Wednesday.
While syringing it into the biodegradable tubes (so excited to find some that break down) I somehow broke my beaker and I lost 80% of it. Pressure??
IMG_20211029_143008.jpg

I had only filled two tubes. I did scrap some from the top just for me (hoping there's no glass🤣)

IMG_20211029_142911.jpg

Looked and felt lovely.
Until...
IMG_20211029_142207.jpg

Then tonight it's raining and raw sewage is coming from drains. It stinks. Contacted landlord and thought I'd be proactive and make some "draino" - and guess what I did. 😓

Like a freaking newb.

A beginner mistake.... I still am in shock.... It's my first real one ever.... But I spilled hot lye water all over my arm and hands. Can't believe it's my first ever NaOH burn (been making soap for many years). Not a huge area but on my left arm (and right hand more on the back of hand). I held the areas under running water and have flushed it a few times. That's the right thing to do right? Continue to wash regularly next 24hrs??

I cleaned 200 and eleventy million soap utensils, pots, pans and bowls. I may have fudged the numbers there. I think there was more. Felt like it anyway :mad:. Cleaning up because the Mother-In-Law is coming to stay. She will be doing her not so subtle inspection. Kill. Me. Now.
🤣

I've been formulating a coenzyme Q10 cream which I finally was happy with. I made a 1000g batch for gift boxes due on Wednesday.
While syringing it into the biodegradable tubes (so excited to find some that break down) I somehow broke my beaker and I lost 80% of it. Pressure??
View attachment 62139
I had only filled two tubes. I did scrap some from the top just for me (hoping there's no glass🤣)

View attachment 62141
Looked and felt lovely.
Until...
View attachment 62142
Then tonight it's raining and raw sewage is coming from drains. It stinks. Contacted landlord and thought I'd be proactive and make some "draino" - and guess what I did. 😓

Like a freaking newb.

A beginner mistake.... I still am in shock.... It's my first real one ever.... But I spilled hot lye water all over my arm and hands. Can't believe it's my first ever NaOH burn (been making soap for many years). Not a huge area but on my left arm (and right hand more on the back of hand). I held the areas under running water and have flushed it a few times. That's the right thing to do right? Continue to wash regularly next 24hrs??
I am SO sorry you had such an awful day! Yes rinsing with cold water was the right thing to do. Do you have any residual redness, swelling, any blisters? Itching, I would expect. But if Blisters or swelling, you should go to the ER* for treatment.

*Or whatever an Emergency Room (for Medical Emergencies) is called in Australia.

I made two batches of soap today. The first is a re-do of my indigo soap. And the second was supposed to be a thin line pour soap, but my eo blend accelerated the batter and I ended up half pouring, and then half plopping it into the mold, so it is a mystery loaf. Could be good, could be hideous. 😋 So now I’m dying of impatience to cut them!

Happy with the beginning of Christmas😃 All natural colours and scents.
Wow! You are rockin' the natural colorants! I like them all -- some look good enough to eat -- but am especially impressed with the reverse feather. Every October I make a couple of attempts at it with varying success (not happening this year, ran out of time).

This is the update on the soap I made using indigo. Originally I had two colors, the pink which was the top of the soap, and then the deep blue where I made the cuts. Fast forward a few days and the pink is still pretty much unchanged, but the deep blue is now more gray. And now you can really see the specks of indigo that wasn’t blended in well enough. But now there’s color separation from the blue mica I used in the swirl. 🙄 The soap is still quite soft, so maybe there will be even more color changes as it continues saponifying, or curing, or whatever magical thing it’s doing right now.

Attachments

• 086B66CF-6E32-45AA-9904-C5C8EBA66E83.jpeg
    086B66CF-6E32-45AA-9904-C5C8EBA66E83.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 25
  • F5FC6FD8-1784-459A-8221-355CFBA478FB.jpeg
    F5FC6FD8-1784-459A-8221-355CFBA478FB.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 23
Got diagnosed with atypical pneumonia yesterday. ( you're sick but functional lol).
Which will hopefully improve with antibiotics and if it improves will explain why none of my asthma meds have been working for 3 weeks. Needless to say I couldn't sleep last night at all and came up with a recipe for chocolate orange ( like the Christmas chocolate orange in foil). BB Chocolate Ganache and NG Orange Cream Cupcake. I normally have restarted my winter knitting projects by now but it's still so warm here.

Attachments

• 20211029_155743.jpg
    20211029_155743.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 14
Back