What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to chop up some “peppermint candies” soap for toppers. Im excited for this lol. I hope it works out as planned.

Although i didnt enter any soap in the Soap Challenge Club September challenge, i did download the recipe and made some clear mp soap.

I have mixed results lol. I tried to do a hybrid cp and mp soap like the video from From Grace To You. My cp soap just layered on top (instead of staying put on one side like i planned). The cut bars are a little cloudy looking for the clear mp soap, but the thinner end cuts are pretty clear. Plus it seems that some of the blue mica mixed in with the clear soap, so it has kind of a blue tint to it as well.

Abby in the background for some interest lol.

View attachment 61257View attachment 61258
pretty'

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, the Hubbies out there. I'm not sure mine would be thrilled if I were to bring a baking rack into the house, BUT when I talk about weather or not I want to spend the money to go to a soapmaking conference, he's "it's only $xx", you should definitely go. The older he gets, the more willing his is to spend money. He used to look at almost everything as overpriced, and still does sometimes, but more often than not, he seems to feel that if it's something we really enjoy, it's worth the money.

I, too am envious that @Vicki C found such a nice baking rack for FREE! Having paid full price for such things in the past, I have to say, it was a fabulous find and you deserve the enthusiastic responses from all of us to make up for your DH's lack thereof!
Thank you! It’s in an outbuilding so DH doesn’t have to set eyes on it 🙄

rdc1978

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The soapy thing I did today was attempt a 4 pound slab of a heart design that didn't go how I wanted :(

On another note are there any companies with an upcoming big sale? I'd like to buy some more rose fragrance oils but I never seem to get the sale updates!

MrsZ

Reaction score
The soapy thing I did today was attempt a 4 pound slab of a heart design that didn't go how I wanted :(

On another note are there any companies with an upcoming big sale? I'd like to buy some more rose fragrance oils but I never seem to get the sale updates!
Wholesale supplies plus is having a sale on select fragrance oils this week. I don't know what oils though.

John Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adventures in Lye
Tonight, me and my soaping partner opened a 50 pound bag of lye that was a minimum of 18 years old. (Yes, it is still good. I won't go into it here)
We wanted to transfer it from its heavy plastic bag to plastic 4 kg lye containers. We were all suited up - goggles, masks, rubber gloves, long sleeve shirts, etc., etc. There were a few clumps that had to be broken up with a rubber mallet. Lye sure does like to spread out, doesn't it. Anyway, we're fine and the lye is transferred. Now! To getting to make more soap! Next on the list: Frankincense & Myrrh from the now defunct Missy's Candles.

ResolvableOwl

Notorious Lyear
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adventures in Lye
Tonight, me and my soaping partner opened a 50 pound bag of lye that was a minimum of 18 years old. (Yes, it is still good. I won't go into it here)
Whoa. Someone did a good job in packaging and storing it. But now it's eventually time for the lye to do its destined thing and unify with oils.

Huge old bags filled with white chemicals reminds me of the darkroom we had in school. One cupboard was just there to keep the hoard with bags of fixing salt crystals (with regards from ZCS 😉) “Made in GDR”. With dirty B/W photography not very popular any more, in times of DSLRs and smartphone AI cameras, Photoshop and FaceApp, I strongly suspect they still have a few bags of this thiosulfate in some corner, by now at least at age 31. As long as the bags are tight and no moisture creeps in, still going strong! (insert choir sounds of the (instrumental) national anthem of the GDR here)

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I made a double batch - the biggest sized batch I've ever made. 2kg of oils. Probably small-fry compared to what some of you all do, but I was pretty chuffed with myself. It only just fitted into my regular soap mixing bowl.
Nice! I have started to try to up my game as well, have made a few batches with 4kg of oils, and have been using a 2-gallon bucket with a spout for my mixing. The thing is, I bought the smallest cheapest microwave on the planet for my soap studio so any heating I need to do takes forever. Next purchase, larger microwave.

PKappy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't get my triangles just right... But I have to say, I like the design, regardless! Autumn Equinox from Nurture Soap. Does thicken in about 30 seconds after mixing, I split my batter purposely for that. However, I noted that even though my total batch weight was supposed to be about 1500 grams, when I weighed out into the pouring pitches with the mica's, the remaining was more like 440 grams. Hmmm, in the future I will weigh out my batter, minus the container's weight to split more evenly.

Attachments

Zing

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I made a double batch - the biggest sized batch I've ever made. 2kg of oils. Probably small-fry compared to what some of you all do, but I was pretty chuffed with myself. It only just fitted into my regular soap mixing bowl.
I'm chuffed with you too! :)

Hey, @PKappy -- that is awesome looking soap!!

Latest posts