What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 'invent the universe' spirit, my most recent soapy thing has been trying to make 3d printed moulds with silicone liners. The past few weeks have been full of setbacks, until I realised that the acetone I had ordered in specially couldn't possibly be pure acetone. Add luck would have it, I found an "extra strong" nail varnish remover in the chemist which was 98% acetone and that worked much better for smoothing the prints to hopefully get a flat surface.
Of course then I calculated not quite enough silicone to fill the gap, exacerbated by the fact that the bottom part was too thick in the model.
Finally, the 'blank' taking the place of the soap while pouring the silicone got very stuck in. I had to pull it out with pliers, in the course of which it came apart into several pieces...
Still, despite all of that I do now have a test mould with liner of a size to make a single bar of soap. I've done some tweaking of the model and hopefully will soon be in a position to scale up to 4- and 6-bar sized moulds.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made the soap challenge clubs melt and pour soap. Its resting peacefully in the fridge. Im not doing the challenge, but i saw a tutorial on a hybrid cp/clear soap, and this challenge popped up. I figured that i would give it a go using their recipe. So i bought the tutorial.

So far it looks pretty clear. Keeping my fingers crossed. Its a lot of steps and ingredients. Will probably never do this again. Its really out of my comfort zone. I guess just not my thing. Hopefully i can make something nice out of it for our challenge. I think these bars will sell for somewhere around $300 per bar. Like my whole bottle of SL, half a bottle of glycerin, a jug of sugar, pinch of lye, half container of 99% isopropyl, and a dollop of distilled water. Oh and a smidge of stearic acid. Thats all, i think lol.

More soapy dishes than i have ever created in my life LOL

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made the soap challenge clubs melt and pour soap. Its resting peacefully in the fridge. Im not doing the challenge, but i saw a tutorial on a hybrid cp/clear soap, and this challenge popped up. I figured that i would give it a go using their recipe. So i bought the tutorial.

So far it looks pretty clear. Keeping my fingers crossed. Its a lot of steps and ingredients. Will probably never do this again. Its really out of my comfort zone. I guess just not my thing. Hopefully i can make something nice out of it for our challenge. I think these bars will sell for somewhere around $300 per bar. Like my whole bottle of SL, half a bottle of glycerin, a jug of sugar, pinch of lye, half container of 99% isopropyl, and a dollop of distilled water. Oh and a smidge of stearic acid. Thats all, i think lol.

More soapy dishes than i have ever created in my life LOL
I haven’t even made the clear yet. I have zero ideas how to use it yet! Hoping I get inspired by others creations. I probably won’t be motivated enough to make the clear until I have some kind of idea on how I want to use it. But, I’m super excited to see what everyone makes!

Guspuppy

Reaction score
O. M. Goodness! Not all according to plan. Had to spackle some air holes due to the accelerating FO. But I’m super happy! I love when my soaps make me giggle! And they do smell great! Autumn Equinox by NS. It DOES accelerate, for me.
Tasha you're giving all those big name youtube soapers a run for their money with this one!!! It's FANTASTIC.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut my homemade clear melt and pour. The bubbles were just ok. I tried to take a pic of my soapy hand and i dropped the block down the garbage disposer. It grinds up easy if thats a good soap property LMBO.

pretty pleased with the clarity, although it does look a little yellow now. I have never even used melt and pour before, so i have nothing to compare it too. I have read that it might clear up a bit after re-melting. If not, mica to the rescue!

Backdrop is my pineapple top for your pleasure. Egads i gotta plant that thing.
6ADDBBDA-EB74-447F-ABE1-5A6FC4C5BA43.jpeg

Mobjack Bay

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Today I worked on beveling some soap. There are several more bars to bevel and photograph; not sure how much of that I'll get done today, though.
Work it is, It takes time to bevel and more time to photograph!

I haven’t even made the clear yet. I have zero ideas how to use it yet! Hoping I get inspired by others creations. I probably won’t be motivated enough to make the clear until I have some kind of idea on how I want to use it. But, I’m super excited to see what everyone makes!
This is me, too. I have no idea what I would do with it.

Cut my homemade clear melt and pour. The bubbles were just ok. I tried to take a pic of my soapy hand and i dropped the block down the garbage disposer. It grinds up easy if thats a good soap property LMBO.

pretty pleased with the clarity, although it does look a little yellow now. I have never even used melt and pour before, so i have nothing to compare it too. I have read that it might clear up a bit after re-melting. If not, mica to the rescue!

Backdrop is my pineapple top for your pleasure. Egads i gotta plant that thing.
View attachment 60872
This is really impressive. I can’t begin to imagine tackling this with all of the steps and ingredients involved.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Mobjack Bay,

This is really impressive. I can’t begin to imagine tackling this with all of the steps and ingredients involved.
[/QUOTE]

Ingredients that i didnt have on hand lol. But once i broke the recipe down, it really only took about an hour. Its cheaper to just buy a block of mnp though. Havent done the math. i think that if i did it again, it might not be so hard…and less dishes!

AAShillito

Reaction score
I've been messing with holiday themes. Scented with Pumpkin Party by Nurture. Started out looking like a sweet potato & pumpkin pie and changed to this amazing thing I won't be able to duplicate ever. Looks like fudge and my daughter says smells like a cheap Bath & Body Works knockoff🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

MellonFriend

Reaction score
I started using/testing my second batch of soap today. I'm happy with the first few uses as far as lather and feel goes. I'm not too happy with the scent though. I used South Pacific Waters from WSP and I think it faded a bit and has sort of a chemical tone to it than it had before. Doesn't leave any scent on my hands either. I probably wouldn't use that scent again.

ScentimentallyYours

Cathy in MA
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any recs for a tape that’ll stay put? This is electrical.
My go-to tape for almost everything is one that is used for sealing seams in plastic covered hoop-type greenhouses and applying window film for winter home insulation. Clear Plastic Weatherseal Tape | Frost King® Weatherization Products. I love that it peels off cleanly without leaving a residue, so I use it for all sorts of things. It’s great for cheap lamination over my Master batch labels. I’ve even used it to tape the refrigerator door shut so the dog could no longer pull it open and eat the meat and cheese inside. (Yes, that really happened 🙄) I just bought new squeeze bottles, so I’ll go run a test to see if the FK tape holds the extensions. BTW, appreciate seeing how you used electrical tape to help form a seal between the bottles and tops. Will have to try it since it’s much cheaper than Teflon tape!

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started using/testing my second batch of soap today. I'm happy with the first few uses as far as lather and feel goes. I'm not too happy with the scent though. I used South Pacific Waters from WSP and I think it faded a bit and has sort of a chemical tone to it than it had before. Doesn't leave any scent on my hands either. I probably wouldn't use that scent again.
Give it time Mellon Friend. Give it time. Just as your soap properties change, so does your fragrance.

You might actually find that it is really strong a few months down the road. I have a bunch like that.

One that particularly comes to mind is Afternoon tea by ns. It smells nice and quiet in the beginning, now 6 months later its screaming at me.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My soapy thing today...

I made a bunch of MnP dolphin and mermaid molds. That was fun. Then I had a rodeo soap. My kitchen is a mess. Cannot divulge details because it is my challenge soap. If it doesn't work out, not sure if I will do a second go at it. Keeping my fingers crossed,