What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut my bars of my first batch of acne charcoal soap that I made for my sister. She picked Southern Peach scent from BB that smells amazing. I think next time I'll use the highest concentration of scent because I can still smell the neem oil a little bit. I did a hanger swirl and turns out I could have swirled quite a bit more on some of the bars. Still, I think it turned out nicely.
IMG_8538.JPG
IMG_8543.JPG

Cut my customer favorite that I’ve been out of for way too long! Made the right calculations so that they fit the cardboard boxes that we want to use. This is my collab soap I make with DH. He triple wet renders all the bacon grease until it’s clean and pretty, and I make the soap. Liquid is dark beer, %80 bacon fat, bottom layer has cocoa powder, top layer has coffee. It’s the Grandude Bar! That’s what our gbabies call him. 😆

Attachments

• 647A9957-2BFD-4334-8B2B-E1D5BCA32E28.jpeg
    647A9957-2BFD-4334-8B2B-E1D5BCA32E28.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 18
  • D4A167A5-CD1A-41C9-A0BE-074A169FB253.jpeg
    D4A167A5-CD1A-41C9-A0BE-074A169FB253.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 25
Cut my customer favorite that I’ve been out of for way too long! Made the right calculations so that they fit the cardboard boxes that we want to use. This is my collab soap I make with DH. He triple wet renders all the bacon grease until it’s clean and pretty, and I make the soap. Liquid is dark beer, %80 bacon fat, bottom layer has cocoa powder, top layer has coffee. It’s the Grandude Bar! That’s what our gbabies call him. 😆
Well aren't you 2 overachievers? DIY bacon fat and all that. Is bacon fat even a category in a lye calculator? It's really good looking soap, good job! Love the term 'grandude' too!

Made shaving soap, but played around with numbers to try something different. That is always fun, it is so quick and easy. I use my stovetop and stainless steel pot, the highest grade of stainless steel, never had any poroblem. The pot is 25 years old.

I want to get a shaving soap assessed, so need to decide on a recipe at one point.

I don`t know if 40 minutes of non-collapsed foam is ok? I have no idea what others consider a good "head", or whatever you call that little blob there.

This time I did something different, I added the essential oil mix to the castor ahead of time (as I think I read that you @Zany_in_CO reccomended somewhere?)

I don`t usually use castor in shaving soap, but I wanted to test it at least once (5%). I kept my eyes peeled, and I added the castor/essential oil mix when I saw it started to get towards vaseline stage, but before it actually did. Wow, it became so glossy and delishous. Easy to pour. Zap-less after 10 minutes. I think this recipe is a repeat, possibly a keeper.

Soy wax, stearic acid, coconut, castor, essential oils of: frankincense, chamomile, juniperberry, and sandalwood. (delish)
I used 70/30KOH/NaOh. I think I will try 100% KOH next time.

Hubby wanted to test it tomorrow, he has super sensitive skin so I`ll get some feedback then. After that I`ll let it rest for a week, and test again. It was so delightful to shave with, skin supple and super afterwards, so that is at least a good sign.

Barbersåpe_27 aug 2021.jpg

I cut my bars of my first batch of acne charcoal soap that I made for my sister. She picked Southern Peach scent from BB that smells amazing. I think next time I'll use the highest concentration of scent because I can still smell the neem oil a little bit. I did a hanger swirl and turns out I could have swirled quite a bit more on some of the bars. Still, I think it turned out nicely.View attachment 60413View attachment 60414
Nice! What % of neem oil did you use? I use it at 5% in my doggie soap and it still stinks to high heaven.

Well aren't you 2 overachievers? DIY bacon fat and all that. Is bacon fat even a category in a lye calculator? It's really good looking soap, good job! Love the term 'grandude' too!
The first time the gbabies got that big word out of their mouth I thought I’d die of cuteness! I choose “lard” in the lye calculator. It makes great soap!

I made an interesting coffee soap with the new fragrance oils from BrambleBerry. I have never been happy with coffee soap in the past, too scratchy for me but this time, I used “used” grounds which I blitzed (2X) in my coffee grinder. So they are really fine. I hope this time I’ll like the soap.

Attachments

• A9BC3C05-EE62-480A-A308-99F7308DCEC3_1_201_a.jpeg
    A9BC3C05-EE62-480A-A308-99F7308DCEC3_1_201_a.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 23
My new mold arrived today, hooray! I hope to be able to give it a trial run tomorrow. The challenge for me will be to decide on a design. I’m leaning towards a thin line pour down a short side followed by swirls, or I could do a pipe divider swirl, or a wrecked ring pour, or… There are many soap designs I’ve been waiting to make in this mold.

7559599A-5F4C-4C48-8BF4-5839D0D60532.jpeg

I made an interesting coffee soap with the new fragrance oils from BrambleBerry. I have never been happy with coffee soap in the past, too scratchy for me but this time, I used “used” grounds which I blitzed (2X) in my coffee grinder. So they are really fine. I hope this time I’ll like the soap.
Hey! We’re like soap twinsies!!

I just made two big purchases of supplies for my soap and bath bomb holiday making extravaganza. I’m both exhilarated (retail therapy buzz), and oddly anxious. One order from the belly of the beast (Amazon), and one order from my super favorite NS. Now I MUST make the energy and time to make all my products, as well as being back to work. Hopefully this inspires me!!

Looks good. Do the new FOs discolor? I still haven’t dealt with VCS.

I need to start using the olive oil I infused with the calendula I grew, and I had a small amount of rosewood EO, purchased years ago (before it was protected, and before I knew better), so I made a small batch of soap just for me! I blended my bit of rosewood with patchouli and Hungarian lavender. It smells lovely, but mostly lavender at this point. It's all tucked in for the night.

Had my first week of work. It's wonderful to be back feeling productive, and I'll be relieved when the paychecks start arriving regularly in my bank account, but boy am I whomped! I think I went to bed at 9:30-ish last night. I never really slept in much the 18 months I was unemployed, but I also didn't exactly have a bedtime either. And learning (so much learning is being done) and thinking and being on a new routine is going to take some adjustment.

That said, I want to make soap! Will probably make a batch I've had in the works later. Alas, I still feel pooped!

Latest posts

Back