What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

ResolvableOwl

Notorious Lyear
Reaction score
@Tara_H
No I don't think it's easy to combine soap diet and overrun. But I guess you'll find a solution for this one 😜

Instead, it might be in reach to combine ombré and pine tar soap. AFAIK tar/creosote/rosin/resin is what the average soapmaker would call “fast-tracing/accelerating” ingredients (due to free acids), so not very ideal for a patience-demanding technique like ombré. On the other hand, nothing speaks against a stylised pine cone inset (pine tar soap, e. g. pull-through with self-3D-printed plate), embedded into an ombré gradient like Soap City's sunset birds.

MrsZ

Reaction score
I made an Oatmeal, honey and colloidal oats soap today. My kids were begging for kid soaps, so I made the batter uncolored and brushed a little dry mica into the dinosaur shaped cavity molds. Just enough batter left for a couple rectangular bars for myself. I'm not quite as keen to scrub myself with a stegosaurus as my little ones are. 😂

JuLeeRenee

Reaction score
I'm trying to keep up here with intermittent WiFi! Can you all slow down?! :)
Sounds like my everyday internet. It gets too hot or rains and I am likely not to have internet. Hope you have a great vacation.

violets2217

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, how did you made these soaps? am still scratching my head... are these CP or MP soaps?
It’s cold process soap and a pull-through technique. Here’s a how to video:

Wild Platanica is also where I get all my pull-through tools. It is a pretty fun soap making pour. Look at some of @TashaBird posts… she is the pull-through queen!

Rattanjeet

Reaction score

Wild Platanica is also where I get all my pull-through tools. It is a pretty fun soap making pour. Look at some of @TashaBird posts… she is the pull-through queen!
Hey thank you for sharing the video, what mold is it called ?

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed a while back that our local agri store sold pine tar and resolved to get some on my next visit... Of course, by the next visit they had changed over to only selling some kind of sprayable version, which I presume is not the right thing for soap 🤔 Then we went to another branch of the same store (looking for chick food) and they had the right stuff so I snapped it up!

Now I'm wondering... How much soap do I want to make this month? I'm itching to try the pine tar (no pun intended) but I also want to do the ombre challenge, and I'm trying to be on something of a soap diet before we're entirely overrun! I guess the two couldn't really be combined...?

Perhaps if you used an extremely low percentage of pine tar, but then that might defeat the purpose of using pine tar. But you could perhaps do the hombre gradations based on increasing (tiny) increments of pine tar added to individually separated containers of the base batter. If I were to attempt this, I'd start extremely low and go only a little bit higher toward the end, adding the tiny changes of pine tar to each subsequent layer each time, because when added, it accelerates quite quickly. My mind is not working well today; I awoke with a horrendous headache, which waned, but is now returning, so I hope I have not suggested a terrible experiment. But anyone were able to tackle a difficult process like this, I would say you, Tara are one who would tackle it with dedication.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps if you used an extremely low percentage of pine tar, but then that might defeat the purpose of using pine tar. But you could perhaps do the hombre gradations based on increasing (tiny) increments of pine tar added to individually separated containers of the base batter. If I were to attempt this, I'd start extremely low and go only a little bit higher toward the end, adding the tiny changes of pine tar to each subsequent layer each time, because when added, it accelerates quite quickly. My mind is not working well today; I awoke with a horrendous headache, which waned, but is now returning, so I hope I have not suggested a terrible experiment. But anyone were able to tackle a difficult process like this, I would say you, Tara are one who would tackle it with dedication.
Ooh, you've definitely given me an idea for how I might be able to work it into a design I've been wanting to do for a long time... Must go and do some plotting and scheming :)

Hope your head feels better soon!

Ladka

Reaction score
This afternoon I grabbed severall pieces of thin remnants of soap bars to rebatch. As if I didn't have enough of mine + my soapmaking failures+ bevelling and shaving material - my second daughter also asks me to use her remnants. So I sorted the pieces by colour, shredded, added hot water to the pot and put the materials in pots in the oven hratd at 50 deg C. I maintained the temperatre for about two to three hours . I filled four individual moulds of various sizes and shapes and alo added some inclusions to make te soap bars more attractive.
I wonder how much they will shrink and what will become of the shapes.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That’s how I do it! And those discs, and her kit make it all possible.

@Mobjack Bay check out the discs on soapstampsandstuff.com

Latest posts