What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Babyshoes

Reaction score
I made soap! It was the quickest, easiest batch I've ever made, so I hope it's nice, because I'll be making it a lot if it is. One of my other kitty foster mum friends had a request for a vegan soap, so I figured today was as good a time as any to try the recipe.

It's a slight variation on Zany's no slime castile. I used real sea water, (all the way from Cornwall, friends were visiting their family recently and were happy to bring me some,) boiled and filtered a few days ago and kept in the fridge since. I have enough for several more small batches. No colour or fragrance. 100% "light in colour" olive oil, with a bit of sugar to help with bubbles. Poured into a pringles tube and a couple of silicone paw moulds. Haven't used a pringles tube before, so hope I can get it out in a day or three...
It's looking nice and creamy, hope it stays that way. 😊

Ugeauxgirl

Reaction score
I made ugly soap- (microwave rebatch) out of grated soaps that were good quality but ugly, and my soap trimmings. Basically confetti soap. Not bad looking, which is good cause we'll be needing them.

My friend whose daughter is getting married called and asked if she could have 50 bars instead of the 25 she originally asked for. It took every cured bar I had.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sold some soaps at the farmers market. Kept forgetting, then remembering, then being excited, that I had two soaps at home to cut!
The kitty one is scented w Avalong from NS and it’s one of my new favorites. I call it apples and lilac.
The desert is two FOs that were both too intense separate. But I’ve been thinking of coming g them for awhile, and WOW! It’s palo santo from mad micas (smells nothing like palo santo), and creation from NS, 50:50. They balance each other perfectly!
And I’ve got to figure out why half my batches get stearin spots lately. 😏

Attachments

violets2217

Supporting Member
Reaction score
woke up and decided I wanted to make some bright and cheery soaps. Decided try a couple more pull-through.
8115CBD6-807D-4C4A-A545-BF8F4B42D03B.jpeg
This is my favorite combo yet! It’s actually a cream, pinkish purple and yellow. And it’s shocking what 10 degrees difference makes in soaping temps. This was my second batch so it had cooled a little more than the first and was at around 85 degrees when I mixed. It was so much more fluid than the first. We’ll see which one works out better tomorrow when I cut.

In non-soapy news, my daughter and I decided to try and make some spring rolls and sushi… it was a fun endeavor and pretty tasty!

The_Emerald_Chicken

Reaction score
My friend whose daughter is getting married called and asked if she could have 50 bars instead of the 25 she originally asked for. It took every cured bar I had.
This sounds familiar....except that my friend originally asked for 50 bars, then 75, then 100! Thankfully my sister makes soap too, so we worked together to make it, and she designed the labels and wrapped it all. Here's a picture from Saturday of some of the soap (used as thank-you gifts for those who helped).
20210802_075558.jpg

MrsZ

Reaction score

Zing

Reaction score
We are on vacation. Our first leg here is with old friends, we all did a year of service a lifetime ago and we reunite every few years. Last night Mrs. Zing and I gave out our treat bags -- she contributed homemade canned goods and of course I gave out soap. Two friends here also make soap (utilitarian holy trinity style) so they ask intelligent questions. This group is full of DIYers so we've been getting schooled in homemade yogurt, pottery, food recipes, canning, etc.
I'm trying to keep up here with intermittent WiFi! Can you all slow down?! :)

John Harris

Reaction score
I just made another 40 bar batch of my tried and true recipe. The FO was Cranberry Balsam. It was at heavy trace before 3 minutes. Adding Burgundy Oxide really seemed to accelerate the trace. I added the fo quickly before it was too late. Still, it was not a bad pouring. We were able to smooth it out well with a pastry knife. It's "cooking" now in my covered wooden mold.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed a while back that our local agri store sold pine tar and resolved to get some on my next visit... Of course, by the next visit they had changed over to only selling some kind of sprayable version, which I presume is not the right thing for soap 🤔 Then we went to another branch of the same store (looking for chick food) and they had the right stuff so I snapped it up!

Now I'm wondering... How much soap do I want to make this month? I'm itching to try the pine tar (no pun intended) but I also want to do the ombre challenge, and I'm trying to be on something of a soap diet before we're entirely overrun! I guess the two couldn't really be combined...?

ResolvableOwl

Notorious Lyear
Reaction score
Some time ago, a wise person foresaw that, some day, I would explore how small a batch still would be able to volcano:
FWIW, I do HTHP — and it is not as scary as it sounds! The volcanoes are not uncontrolled, and are more properly called “expansions.”

[…]

@ResolvableOwl I’ve never tried a small batch; sorry I cannot give any helpful tips there. But with your scientific approach to soaping, I’m sure you would do well with this technique!
Well, this day was yesterday. With mere 100 g oils, it wasn't very dangerous, but just fun to watch. More like a mudpot (cute funny type of volcanism!). I melted the oils on a pot (probably a bit too warm), and after adding the still hot lye solution, it appeared to heat up, so I spontaneously decided to turn it into HP, and turned on the heating. It boiled like crazy, and I switched off the stove, but it just went on bubbling :eek: though it barely covered the bottom of the pot. Well, after a minute or two, I scraped it into the mould, and wondered why it wouldn't give an even surface – well, it was bubbling and rising!

The fastest-moving batter I've ever witnessed. A few things to blame:
  • As part of my current indigo vat trials, it had partially reduced indigo in it (no idea how this might affect trace), but it also had quite some fructose (sugar).
  • But probably more important: I added 5.6% TOM of GSC (glyceryl stearate citrate). Well, it's not only a source of citrate and stearic acid, but also a strong emulsifier: It makes mixing the batter super easy (a few seconds with the spatula), but also promoted an intimate mixing of lye and oils – a good opportunity for the reaction rate to skyrocket. In normal soapmaking, there is very little emulsifiers present in the beginning – hardly enough to get a stable emulsion. It takes a few minutes (and often the convincing qualities of a stick blender) until the aqueous phase and the oils wouldn't easily separate from each other. But then the reaction picks up speed (gel phase) and eats through most of the saponification within half a day (CP) or one hour (HP). After 10 minutes, its consistency was like half through HP cooking, but without external heat.
My working hypothesis: GSC is a strong and lye-stable enough emulsifier for the lye and oils to disperse much more finely throughout each other. The point when enough conventional soap has formed to sustain the stable emulsion is much earlier, possibly within mere seconds after combining oils and lye.

So far I can't really recommend GSC for soapmaking. For one it does dissolve in hot oils, but the 5% solution became turbid again well above room temperature. I also didn't like that the oil phase foamed. And then this scary acceleration thingie.

Maybe at much lower rates it's a secret ingredient for the impatient to speed up lazy batters. But it's not realistic to use it as the sole source of citrate (a shortcut to get chelators into oils).

ETA: Pics, background, and updates in the indigo vat thread:

Last edited:

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Made M&P with one of the grandsons last night. He had great fun unmolding this morning. He really really wants to make CP soap so he can do more designs. He's a bit young for that, but I'm already planning to update my estate plan to ensure that he receives all my soaping stuff someday. 😁

PS - he chose the molds, color, and scent. Most of the colors chosen are currently in his hair, although most of his purple washed out during the long day at the lake yesterday. 🤣

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts