What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
Time to work the recycling soap dough!
The colourful balls are well into for some two weeks by now, they're a bit sticky to the touch and not homogeneous yet (but I don't want them smooth on the inside anyway).
One week ago, I also wetted the whit(ish) soap residues/scraps/planings with aloe juice, and today was the day to combine the sticky, mushy flakes into about a pound of proper, smooth dough!
asparagus.jpg
Looks like asparagus, lol 🤷‍♀️

One can hardly see it, but the dough is still not totally smooth. A few of the input soaps still were more brittle than clayey. So this was only the first kneading step (I hope I wouldn't get sore muscles tomorrow from the working).
They'll get another week or two to properly steep, and then everything is combined again. I shaped them finger-like to increase the surface from which they can exchange moisture, but still easier to handle than a big clump of clay.

So far, it seems that the convert-soap-scraps-to-soap-dough route (at least for notorious low-INS schmoo) is going strong!

@The_Phoenix : How are your cheerful OPW balls/ovals doing?

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It finally happened. I forgot my FO! I thought the harder part was over. I was distracted having the hubs help for the first time. He did a great job piping some soap into the gap under my embed, I think it might prevent a gap. I put the satsuma FO in the bottom 1/3 layer. I could smell the rest of the FO as it sat there. Also, I’ll admit. I was SUI.
🚓
So a “lightly scented” soap is on the heating pad.

Attachments

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
I decided to make some ‘black forest’ soap today. It’s confetti soap with BRV fragrance
View attachment 58567
What is particularly Black Forest-y with raspberries or vanilla? I'd rather guess the signature scent of Black Forest would be fir/spruce, cherry, and cuckoo clock grease. But then again, I guess I was more often to the Black Forest than your average customers 😜

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is particularly Black Forest-y with raspberries or vanilla? I'd rather guess the signature scent of Black Forest would be fir/spruce, cherry, and cuckoo clock grease. But then again, I guess I was more often to the Black Forest than your average customers 😜
Ha! I'm not talking real Black Forest here - I'm thinking more of the cake. So, yeah, I guess cherry would have been better but it's not a very popular scent in soap I have found.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the first soap I’ve made with my master batched oils. I had to use some extra liquid oils to mix my mica. The soap is hardening super slow! It’s almost 20hrs and it’s still real soft. So it’s either the extra oil, or the warm humid weather.
Either way it’s SUPER HARD NOT TO CUT IT!!!
So, I got some satisfaction cutting up the extra embeds to put in bath bombs. And they look really cool!!

Attachments

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
Ohh, that's beautiful! Yet I have to ask – this looks neutral black, like AC and/or black oxide. Why not cocoa powder? And don't call for artistic liberty, as you did with arguing in favour of your questionable ketchup/mayo junkfood topping 🌭😜.
Well, in the end, as long as it sells good, nobody can complain. As a matter of fact, Black Forest gâteau is kind of a junkfood as well.

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ohh, that's beautiful! Yet I have to ask – this looks neutral black, like AC and/or black oxide. Why not cocoa powder? And don't call for artistic liberty, as you did with arguing in favour of your questionable ketchup/mayo junkfood topping 🌭😜.
Well, in the end, as long as it sells good, nobody can complain. As a matter of fact, Black Forest gâteau is kind of a junkfood as well.
I don't like cocoa in my soap. And I had plenty of mayonnaise and ketchup to use up, so that's what you get!
Enlarge the pic and have a look at the confetti - it came up really well in this.
Perhaps I should just call it Black Raspberry and Vanilla then? It actually suits the soap I guess.

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
Well, in the end it's your decision how you call it. If there are people who know it as Black Forest, than it might be worth keeping that name against the snarky comments of some internet stranger. Calling it after its scent isn't particularly innovative, but if that makes it easier for your customers to confide in your taste for soapy smells, then why not?

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
I made a batch of Dragon's Blood soap. It's the only time I've used it alone in soap. This particular one is from Elements Bath and Body and it's REALLY good. Deeply complex and heady. Doesn't smell artificial or gross as some DB FO do. Somehow it's the only FO I ever bought from them. Weird because I have many of their micas and they are my favorite by far. Decided to order a few FOs from them. It's not possible to have too many FOs. AMIRIGHT OR AMIRIGHT???

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a batch of Dragon's Blood soap. It's the only time I've used it alone in soap. This particular one is from Elements Bath and Body and it's REALLY good. Deeply complex and heady. Doesn't smell artificial or gross as some DB FO do. Somehow it's the only FO I ever bought from them. Weird because I have many of their micas and they are my favorite by far. Decided to order a few FOs from them. It's not possible to have too many FOs. AMIRIGHT OR AMIRIGHT???
You're absolutely right!

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not possible to have too many FOs. AMIRIGHT OR AMIRIGHT???
You are right!! Although it might be hard to actually find someone who would disagree with you here 😂 If you like patchouli, Patchouli Honey from Elements is really nice, and they also have a couple of good vanillas.

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
You are right!! Although it might be hard to actually find someone who would disagree with you here 😂 If you like patchouli, Patchouli Honey from Elements is really nice, and they also have a couple of good vanillas.
I bought Patchouli Honey! :D Great minds and all that...

Also bought Shampure, Downpour, Juicy Couture, Calabrian Bergamot Violet, Mistletoe Kisses (CHRISTMAS IS COMING!!!), Vanilla Sandalwood, Balsam & Citrus (CHRISTMAS IS COMING!!!)), Rosemary Mint, and Sweet Pumpkin (because I'm already thinking about fall soaps).

Zing

Reaction score
Oh, Lordy, I cannot keep up with you all so my soapy thing is just checking this thread. My wife and I lived in our beloved Chi-town for 30 years and the blessed, grateful part of COVID (g--d----COVID!) is that we rejoined our book club and Mrs. Zing's women's group. Her club peeps were demanding more soap after keeping their soaps as decorations and now actually using it. What a concept, soap for bathing, who knew?!