What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Gorgeous soap! Your swirl is beautifully crisp.

I made my first soap dough today. Due to upcoming vacation time in California, “have dough, will travel” is the only plan I have for making an entry for this month’s challenge. Is the TSA familiar with soap dough?
Soap dough will look like an organic mass (similar to C-4) and somewhat suspicious on xray, which can lead to a bag search if you put it in your carry-on. Think of Play-Doh, which also alarms. You may be told you cannot take it in your carry-on. I strongly suggest you put it in your checked luggage.

Checked baggage is different as to what is allowed, but when in doubt read the TSA rules of what is allowed. But remember this caveat:

1623649340163.png

Mobjack Bay

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Soap dough will look like an organic mass (similar to C-4) and somewhat suspicious on xray, which can lead to a bag search if you put it in your carry-on. Think of Play-Doh, which also alarms. You may be told you cannot take it in your carry-on. I strongly suggest you put it in your checked luggage.

Checked baggage is different as to what is allowed, but when in doubt read the TSA rules of what is allowed. But remember this caveat:

View attachment 58483
Thanks Earlene! Sending the dough via USPS might be the better option. I made it in a six cavity mold that is the perfect size for a bubble wrap priority mail envelope.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday my wonderful aunt turned 90 and there was a small open house for family and a few other people close to her to celebrate this milestone. One of my cousins (who lives out of state) is married to a minister, and her church does some work with homeless people. I filled a large box with soaps for my cousin to take home for their church, made gift bags for my two aunts and my cousins that were attending, and took a box of miscellaneous bars for everyone else to choose from. I've only made one batch of soap in the last month, so right now my curing shelves are pretty empty, and most of my storage boxes are empty. I have a small gift bag to put together today for a friend, my daughter will be taking a bag of bars to a friend of hers in a couple of weeks. I'll still have plenty of well cured bars for hubby and I, and for miscellaneous gifting. It feels great to feel like I 'need' to make some soap!

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Earlene! Sending the dough via USPS might be the better option. I made it in a six cavity mold that is the perfect size for a bubble wrap priority mail envelope.
I actually thought of recommending that, but then left it out. If it is convenient in your situation, I do think it's the safest bet if you don't want to risk leaving it behind. I once mailed home some of my soaps that I made on my travels and they did fine. I have also packed young soap in my checked baggage and had no problems, either.

Ladka

Reaction score
Completed rendering and final purification of raw beef suet. What I got was not only the fine fat from the kidney region but pieces of all sorts with blood, meat and liver bits. I selected the fine pieces and dumped the majority of "unclean" material in the bin. So that about six kilograms of the raw material gave me about 700 grams of fine rendered beef tallow - white, odourless, water-free, hard, glossy.

Goveji loj Peresciutti 14jun2021 IMG_5258.JPG
Goveji loj Peresciutti 14jun2021 IMG_5259.JPG

MrsZ

Reaction score
I just checked a batch of ZNSC that I made 10 days ago. I can't believe how rock hard it is! Can't wait to use it. I've made a castile soap as my second ever batch of soap, and it is still rubbery after about 2 months. The ZNSC is amazing.

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
LOL That is, if you don't mind waiting 3 months to cure! Not me! No thank you!
Look at the "Recipe Properties". Compare the values of your formula with the recommended range. An INS of 132 falls waaay short of the ideal INS 160, so-called "perfect soap".
Today I learned that I obviously did everything wrong all the time! More often than not, I'm not even inside the tolerance interval (136–165), let alone close to the holy 160. My OPW soap (May challenge) was rock hard after a few hours CPOP, at a dreadful INS of 123. The “canology” shattered into pieces at INS 115 two days after unmoulding. That lovely Abyssinia castile is stuck at meager INS 79.

What now? Besides INS, I can't find anything wrong with bars that give abundant lather, agreeable firmness, don't get mushy quickly, and last for a decent time. But math tells me it's all wrong? :eek:😭🤣 Should I believe the numerology mysticism of Robert McDaniels et al., or should I trust my own perceptions and experiences?

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I learned that I obviously did everything wrong all the time! More often than not, I'm not even inside the tolerance interval (136–165), let alone close to the holy 160. My OPW soap (May challenge) was rock hard after a few hours CPOP, at a dreadful INS of 123. The “canology” shattered into pieces at INS 115 two days after unmoulding. That lovely Abyssinia castile is stuck at meager INS 79.

What now? Besides INS, I can't find anything wrong with bars that give abundant lather, agreeable firmness, don't get mushy quickly, and last for a decent time. But math tells me it's all wrong? :eek:😭🤣 Should I believe the numerology mysticism of Robert McDaniels et al., or should I trust my own perceptions and experiences?
Someone needs to watch/read 'Horton hears a Who'

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might well be the case too. I'd have to ask him. He brought back a lot of fun stories, and a ton of envy-arousing photos. Some of them were definitely about Kiwis.

I wouldn't use nail files on proper knives (with free-standing blade), when whetstones are so suited/fun/meditative to work with. For the “hidden” safety blades, I used a stiff metal nail file, to exert steady pressure at a constant angle.
Ok 👍🏼

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More often than not, I'm not even inside the tolerance interval (136–165), let alone close to the holy 160.
I thought the 160 was something to aim to be 'below', not to hit?

A little while back I ended up reading about INS (will paraphrase from memory so be kind if I misspeak!) What I came away with was that the 'iodine' value is a numerical outcome of a specific 'iodine test' which determines (something chemistry-ish that I hesitate to even try to paraphrase) but it's basically directly related to how quickly it oxidises and therefore the risk of rancidity.

I know I have a link to it somewhere, I have a busy day ahead but I'll dig it out if I get a moment at some point.

My "soapy" thing so far was I discovered tinkercad, and designed a new stamp with a hand drawn/written design! It's currently printing and I can't wait to see it 😁

Last edited:

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I made soap labels & wrapped soap getting orginzed & deciding what soap I'll gift to Grandson for his College Graduation Gift & Money of course, his Graduation Party is this Saturday. I'll bring my Daughter Soap too & Lotion which I haven't started' hopefully tomorrow I can start that, I'm planing on using @KimW lotion recipe' that she graciously shared w/ me, Thank you so much 🤗👍🏼💫.

I need to box & wrap soap & have it ready to go.
I wanted to finish my Daughter's Cologne body spray' but I don't think I'll have enough time.

My Friend contacted me' wanting more soap' yay so sent her pictures of soap that is available & ready. Ive been busy busy as of late.

Completed rendering and final purification of raw beef suet. What I got was not only the fine fat from the kidney region but pieces of all sorts with blood, meat and liver bits. I selected the fine pieces and dumped the majority of "unclean" material in the bin. So that about six kilograms of the raw material gave me about 700 grams of fine rendered beef tallow - white, odourless, water-free, hard, glossy.

View attachment 58487 View attachment 58488
That really looks like "Prime Beef Tallow" I bet your soap is gonna be wonderful. 🤗🧼💫

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Gathered organic material from my garden, cleaned & placed on sheets to dry in oven. Darn, I wish I had known I was out of parchment paper. I looked all around and my stash where I keep the extras (in the garage) has about half dozen boxes of plastic wrap, a couple of aluminum foil, 1 waxed paper, but no parchment paper. So it's now on my shopping list and I lined my trays with waxed paper. I don't think it's a problem in a low heat oven, but if I start to smell wax, I have to remember why. Anyway, I had meant to do this harvest last month, so I am glad this month's challenge requires a garden ingredient (and it cannot be a fragrance oil)

Oh, yeah, I can smell the wax now. I may go to the store and replace the waxed paper. I don't want my house to smell like parafin wax.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prepped a bazillion batches of soap a month ago, but yesterday decided I wanted to make some moons in my new pvc mold I made. So I took a pull though recipe and divided it in 4. I’d used that 1/4 recipe volume of water to test it in the pvc, and it was just a bit over. Apparently I don’t math so well when I go off the cuff. I have two pvc tubes that I wanted to fill and should have divided the recipe in half, not in quarters. It sure would have been easier! But, if there’s one thing I’m good at it’s making things more difficult for myself! Also, I was making a moon but wanted to swirl a smidge of grey, yellow, and orange in it. It may have been too much. And, I blended it too long and it got thick. So.... who the heck knows what I’ll get. If I can get it out of this 1” wide 18” long pvc, I’ll still call it a win! 🤞🏼

amd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made my challenge soap! I've been trying not to make soap during the summer months for the last two summers, but as my hubby predicted, I couldn't stay away, lol.

I also priced out 5lbs of foot scrub for a local salon, and talked to another salon about wholesale for some of my soap and body sets. I'm also heading over to a local GM soapmaker's place, as she is closing up shop and destashing her supplies. I'm hoping to pick up her slab mold and cutter for a good price. We'll see what the measurements end up being if I can make it work for my product lineup.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. 4th time is a charm? The embed took a few tries, but my pvc moon embed didn’t work out so good. I’ll have to line it with parchment paper next time. It got stuck and I had to beat it to get it out. Got a small cut on my hand and couldn’t figure out what the orange/pink/red was on my soap dough! 😮 Needless to say I threw that bit away. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Attachments

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@TashaBird
Sorry to see this happen' gosh darn it.

I've read one soaper doesn't line her PVC she will put it in the freezer then pound it on a rolled rug' & it comes right out.
I've always lined my PVC & usually I'll stick something in the end to push it out the other end far enough so I can grab & pull it the rest of the way. Once it starts sliding out its easily removed. Unfortunately cause of the paper & heat thats generated it leaves a slight ridge type texture on soap' not bad just not a smooth finish like the pipe has.
4th time is a charm 👍🏼.

Last edited:

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@TashaBird
Sorry to see this happen' gosh darn it.

I've read one soaper doesn't line her PVC she will put it in the freezer then pound it on a rolled rug' & it comes right out.
I've always lined my PVC & usually I'll stick something in the end to push it out the other end far enough so I can grab & pull it the rest of the way. Once it starts sliding out its easily removed. Unfortunately cause of the paper & heat thats generated it leaves a slight ridge type texture on soap' not bad just not a smooth finish like the pipe has.
4th time is a charm 👍🏼.
That’s how I do my 3” pvc, works great! But this is 1” and 18” long. It just doesn’t work the same.