What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That earlier photo I posted didn’t do the color justice—it’s quite green

Attachments

• 2F432A7B-CB87-4897-8F33-4F954031ECDE.jpeg
    2F432A7B-CB87-4897-8F33-4F954031ECDE.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 22
Make a pot of tea and consume the excess.
I was obedient, and indulged myself with a sip of rooibos tea, while I recovered from the “work” of annihilating surplus biscuits, and of rolling about 400 g of soap scraps, with some 10% additional water, into a decent stack of “confetti snowballs”.
The shreds and planing chips had become really well malleable after a mere day of rehydration, while the bulky pieces only got a bit sticky on the outside. I broke them down and covered them with other stuff to get them into this ball shape. Thank you so much :mad:😜 @The_Phoenix, now I'm hooked!

confetti_snowballs+tea.jpg

My narrative is that essentially the same thing is happening as when you let a bar of soap lie in water for prolonged time at the sink, and it turns into a gross, soft, mushy mass. Unloved there, I thought: Why not exploit this to turn any soap into a poor man's soap-dough-analogue? Rebatch, just with heat replaced by time: sounds tempting!

Since the pieces were of very different hardness (lesson learned/note to myself: better shred hard, high-stearic soaps finely before soaking), I don't expect these balls to hold together too well over time. I'll keep them airtight, and I'll gently knead them from time to time.
My goal is to use them as HP embeds. Unless someone has a better idea, I'm planning to keep them from curing just until it's HP time, and then pre-heat them in the oven (I hope they don't melt!), so that they are warm enough to not overly disturb the HP batter when inserted.

Grrr.... I have to go get ready for work! But I got my router today! I tried a soap made the beginning of May and my challenge soap from 3? Challenges ago... definitely better with cured soap and follow the directions and the arrow for the direction of the soap to go. Lol! I couldn’t wait!
1EE3465C-9C14-4D43-8DBD-9285C2CFD810.jpeg
00878E57-35F7-416F-A453-6360B3B1B325.jpeg

It is really hard to get a good picture of soap edges!

Oh this looks like a fun soap to try. I’m thinking Pre-cut luffa would be easier to cut soap after it sets up’ Your Thoughts 💭.
That makes really good sense, Peachy. Yes, I would think how else would you be able to cut the soap...hmmmm. I will say a friend just got some soap that had embedded loofah "chunks" and she says she hates it because it's rough, then smooth then, "oops a bit of loofah just went down the drain." 🤣

That makes really good sense, Peachy. Yes, I would think how else would you be able to cut the soap...hmmmm. I will say a friend just got some soap that had embedded loofah "chunks" and she says she hates it because it's rough, then smooth then, "oops a bit of loofah just went down the drain." 🤣
Yes I'm thinking Pre-Cut loofah & mark on out side of mold as I place the loofa's in round mold as a guage ware to cut after I un-mold it .

I showed my daughter picture above her reply Oh cant wait to try them!!!. shes my biggest fan 🥰❤️👍🏼.

Due to the roughness of Loofah I'm gonna call it a "Loofah Foot Scrub" scented in a Peppermint EO would be a nice combo. ok Im off to home depot for a wider PVC Pipe.
Thx for your input 🤗❤️ .

Grrr.... I have to go get ready for work! But I got my router today! I tried a soap made the beginning of May and my challenge soap from 3? Challenges ago... definitely better with cured soap and follow the directions and the arrow for the direction of the soap to go. Lol! I couldn’t wait!
View attachment 58101View attachment 58102
It is really hard to get a good picture of soap edges!
Nicely done. 💫🧼

@Ugeauxgirl HP salt bars? Sounds like maximum salting-out (ricing) danger, plus extra trouble from attempting to stir tons of (cold) salt into a quickly solidifying batter. What was your incentive to make HP salt bars?

And, btw, thanks for calling the other batch “Soleseife” and not “Soleseif”. I can't blame anyone for having no German skills, but I can blame people for thoughtlessly copying typos, until the wrong spelling would become accepted at some time. When I write in foreig languages, I don't jus leav ou randoml the las letters of words eithe.

Funny enough, the Lower Franconian dialect is known (and mocked) for exactly this, leaving out the last syllable of many words. If “soap” weren't already translated to “Saafn”, then maybe “Soolseif'” would be not the worst bet as a translation from standard German “Soleseife” (at least as far as I can tell, with my rather loose biographical relation to that region).

O yo shoul, i onl fo humouro effec 🤣
Are you guys trying to test our intelligence like that Facebook post that scrambles the letters of each word.. “fo uyo anc drea this... blah blah blah... your a genius!!!” Lol! I hate that post, but I read it every time! I’m not a genius, I’ve just memorized it! 🤣😂😅 not really... but you guys are making me laugh! Thanks!

Let's play the wor associatio gam!
laugh → laug → Lauge (German for “lye”) → lie (like in: not telling the truth) → lie (like in: bed) → ···

I have three friends I went to Girl Scout camp with when I was a teenager - we have stayed in touch and have seen each other through marriages, divorces, births, deaths, life in general. I get to see them this weekend as we are all vaxed. I made camp-themed soaps as gifts for them - L-> R these are S’mores, a carousel that we were able to ride our bikes to (called the “Flying Horses”), a campfire, a landscape with a tent, “bug juice”, and the ocean. Thanks @DeeAnna for the excellent pine tar soap tutorial on your website, the campfire soap is half pine tar and your guidance was a huge help. The ocean is an OPW, tried to copy @The_Phoenix - it’s not exactly the same but I really like it. And thanks @Todd Ziegler and @AliOop for the ZVS recipe, the s’mores has vanilla in it and it would not have looked as good without out that addition! Oh and thanks @glendam for the Christmas tree inspiration. I’d didn’t really work, but the tiny yellow thing is a tent, I tried to emulate your tree idea with the tent.
I have learned a ton in the last six months. This is a supportive and generous community!

19DED668-7635-4E08-9095-17CE5523C710.jpeg9C83EC53-BF7C-46F7-96A7-AF86E1EFF733.jpeg

I have three friends I went to Girl Scout camp with when I was a teenager - we have stayed in touch and have seen each other through marriages, divorces, births, deaths, life in general. I get to see them this weekend as we are all vaxed. I made camp-themed soaps as gifts for them - L-> R these are S’mores, a carousel that we were able to ride our bikes to (called the “Flying Horses”), a campfire, a landscape with a tent, “bug juice”, and the ocean. Thanks @DeeAnna for the excellent pine tar soap tutorial on your website, the campfire soap is half pine tar and your guidance was a huge help. The ocean is an OPW, tried to copy @The_Phoenix - it’s not exactly the same but I really like it. And thanks @Todd Ziegler and @AliOop for the ZVS recipe, the s’mores has vanilla in it and it would not have looked as good without out that addition! Oh and thanks @glendam for the Christmas tree inspiration. I’d didn’t really work, but the tiny yellow thing is a tent, I tried to emulate your tree idea with the tent.
I have learned a ton in the last six months. This is a supportive and generous community!

View attachment 58115View attachment 58116
Wow - all SO beautiful! I especially like the campfire and landscape (and I see the tent - which is perfect). Nicely done and I so enjoyed the write-up. Hope you have a most fantastic time with the gals. 🥰 🥰

Ok - I'm not gonna sugar coat it. I've been fine, and have enjoyed, reading and learning from Kevin Dunn's "Scientific Soapmaking"...until the last section of Chapter 7. I went ahead and started wading through Chapter 8. I'm so befuddled I don't even know what question to ask. Now I know how our son felt when he first experienced Algebra.

Oh this looks like a fun soap to try. I’m thinking Pre-cut luffa would be easier to cut soap after it sets up’ Your Thoughts 💭.
@Peachy Clean Soap Definitely pre-slice the loofah. If you search old threads, you will read sad stories about those who put whole loofahs into soap loaves and then could not slice them with anything less than a chain saw.

@Vicki C these are amazing, down to the dots on the S'mores!! Enjoy your time with these precious friends.

Latest posts

Back