What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While grocery shopping I decided to pick up a 3rd oil so I can do the grocery store soap challenge. Now I just have to look through all my stuff to find something from the store to use as a mold. I also made more elephant embeds because I was impatient and broke the trunk off of a few of them. šŸ˜¢ I also didn't like the grey color, it was too light for what I am trying to do.

Cut the woodgrain soap!

The bars are kind of big and ignorant because I used the standard sized mould and couldn't figure out a better way to cut them; next time I think I'd use T&S so the loaf is the width of a normal bar.

I made a woodgrain soap last fall that was also in a regular mold and made big ignorant bars. Turns out I love them that way! šŸ˜‚ For real though, they are my favorite size bar of soap now. Ha!

I just learned the hard way that there are two types of red palm oil: the pure one and ā€œzomiā€. The regular type is essentially pure fat, and melts into a clear, dark red liquid.
The zomi type has 1% salt added, and also contains sediments that, without further investigation, appear to be traces of palm fruit pulp. It has an orange-brown colour and stays somewhat turbid even when fully molten.

(Needless to say that I aimed for the clear variant, but bought opaque ā€œzomiā€ instead. Guess I'll have to try out some more recipes from Nigeria and Ghana in the next timeā€¦)
Thats interesting & informative, now armed w/ the difference between regular & zomi i'll be sure and choose the regular. šŸ¤—šŸ‘šŸ¼

Last night I made a new batch of My Creamy Cocoa/Shea GLS Tutorial for our own use, since I liked the leftovers from my brother's birthday present so much! I got a new mini-frother which has a whisk and a frother attachment, and tried it out, but it didn't seem to have quite the power to get all the way to the end of the paste-making process. It got as far as getting it to a thin puddingy consistency and then started begging to be recharged, so I got out the SB and its own whisk attachment (pausing halfway through the soap-making process to confirm that it really was SS and not aluminium) and got it the rest of the way. It's such an interesting process; mixing with the SB whisk, it got to a very thick puddingy consistency, and I was thinking I'd missed the emulsion point and it was on its way to paste. I took a pause to tidy up and review the thread in case I'd missed any info, and when I came back the batter was much thinner - and stirring with just a spatula gave me millions of flying bubbles! So I went and had dinner and by the time that was done I had a solid clear paste with a thin layer of drying foam on the top.

So now this morning I'm diluting that and trying to get my soap supplies organised. Deciding what to keep on the trolley for easy access and what to put away in the big box in the hall is such a struggle!

Soap diluting: (it's in a slightly small pot for the jar but I'm not in a hurry and will be in the kitchen most of the day to keep an eye on it)
1622279858387.png

Bought 1kg of pig lard in the farmers market for only 2,40 ā‚¬. And talked the vendor to make a note to spare me the suet from a bull they're butchering next week. And he promised to spare the suet from the kidney area (so I'll have leaf tallow?) Now I am well stocked with fats and will have to buy lye, my stock is running low ...

Last edited:
Had fever and chills yesterday from my 2nd covid shot, and somewhere in there I bought a beveler. The Plantanica one ($60). I'm a hobbyist, with no plans of going pro anywhere in the future. I'm not sure I need it, but I do want it, so thanks, feverish me. I know there was a lot of stuff I almost bought from a number of stores that I'm glad I didn't, but I think that was the only thing that made it through checkout.

Bought 1kg of pig lard in the farmers market for only 2,40 ā‚¬. And talked the vendor to make a note to spare me the suet from a bull they're butchering next week. And he promised to spare the suet from the kidney area (so I'll have leaf tallow?) Now I am well stocked with fats and will have to buy lye, my stock is running low ...
We met a guy (random customer) in the butcher's today and were chatting about soap making (since that's where I've been getting my tallow). He wanted to know if I could use chicken fat, and if so how much. I did some frantic mental calculations and said it might be interesting to try and I'd probably just want a handful of so to test out - it turned he was planning on offering me 3 or 4 tons, so just a slight difference in scale! o_O šŸ¤£
(I didn't end up getting any at all...)

Had fever and chills yesterday from my 2nd covid shot, and somewhere in there I bought a beveler. The Plantanica one ($60).
I placed an order with Wild Platanica at work this past week! I also went a little crazy and just kept adding stuff to my cart! I canā€™t blame it on the vaccine though, wonā€™t get my second round for a week or so! But my beveler arrives in 5 days! Iā€™ve never been so excited to get a shipping notice email in my life!

Had fever and chills yesterday from my 2nd covid shot, and somewhere in there I bought a beveler. The Plantanica one ($60). I'm a hobbyist, with no plans of going pro anywhere in the future. I'm not sure I need it, but I do want it, so thanks, feverish me. I know there was a lot of stuff I almost bought from a number of stores that I'm glad I didn't, but I think that was the only thing that made it through checkout.
Which Covid Vaccination did you receive? I've been researching covid vaccination & possible side effects' many reports of people getting stronger adverse reactions after the second vaccination & describing much of what your symptoms are, I hope your feeling better today!.
Hubby & I go for our 2nd jab Tuesday' not looking forward to it, we chose Maderna. Ive also read if you increase vitamin D & C the adversed affects are lessoned, Hubby & I increased both along w/ zinc.

We met a guy (random customer) in the butcher's today and were chatting about soap making (since that's where I've been getting my tallow). He wanted to know if I could use chicken fat, and if so how much. I did some frantic mental calculations and said it might be interesting to try and I'd probably just want a handful of so to test out - it turned he was planning on offering me 3 or 4 tons, so just a slight difference in scale! o_O šŸ¤£
(I didn't end up getting any at all...)
Mercy thats a Ton of Chicken Fat!! Keep us posted on how your soap turns out. šŸ’«šŸ‘šŸ¼šŸ§¼.
Update: Oh I realized you "didn't" get any "Chicken Fat". Good Idea.

Last night I made a new batch of My Creamy Cocoa/Shea GLS Tutorial for our own use, since I liked the leftovers from my brother's birthday present so much! I got a new mini-frother which has a whisk and a frother attachment, and tried it out, but it didn't seem to have quite the power to get all the way to the end of the paste-making process. It got as far as getting it to a thin puddingy consistency and then started begging to be recharged, so I got out the SB and its own whisk attachment (pausing halfway through the soap-making process to confirm that it really was SS and not aluminium) and got it the rest of the way. It's such an interesting process; mixing with the SB whisk, it got to a very thick puddingy consistency, and I was thinking I'd missed the emulsion point and it was on its way to paste. I took a pause to tidy up and review the thread in case I'd missed any info, and when I came back the batter was much thinner - and stirring with just a spatula gave me millions of flying bubbles! So I went and had dinner and by the time that was done I had a solid clear paste with a thin layer of drying foam on the top.

So now this morning I'm diluting that and trying to get my soap supplies organised. Deciding what to keep on the trolley for easy access and what to put away in the big box in the hall is such a struggle!

Soap diluting: (it's in a slightly small pot for the jar but I'm not in a hurry and will be in the kitchen most of the day to keep an eye on it)
View attachment 57939
That so awesome. šŸ™ŒšŸ¼āœØ

Which Covid Vaccination did you receive? I've been researching covid vaccination & possible side effects' many reports of people getting stronger adverse reactions after the second vaccination & describing much of what your symptoms are, I hope your feeling better today!.
Hubby & I go for our 2nd jab Tuesday' not looking forward to it, we chose Maderna. Ive also read if you increase vitamin D & C the adversed affects are lessoned, Hubby & I increased both along w/ zinc.
It was Moderna/Pfizer. I took an overdose of all the vitamins I have after the shot, and also put myself on an ibuprofen regimen to help with my arm for the first 24 hours. The fever kicked in about 18 hours after the shot, and lasted less than 24 hours, so it's still way less miserable than the real thing can be. Hydration is important, too.

It was Moderna/Pfizer. I took an overdose of all the vitamins I have after the shot, and also put myself on an ibuprofen regimen to help with my arm for the first 24 hours. The fever kicked in about 18 hours after the shot, and lasted less than 24 hours, so it's still way less miserable than the real thing can be. Hydration is important, too.
Yes agree w/ you, side affects verses "getting coved". Glad your feeling better.

My soapy thing today is getting a little dreamy over a "Soap Business for Sale" advertisement. This is a local-to-me business with great accounts, and they are including all inventory, equipment, supplies, accounts, website, etc.

I'm mentioning this to all of you in the hope that someone else in my local area will buy it, so I can stop thinking about buying it. :p

My soapy thing today is getting a little dreamy over a "Soap Business for Sale" advertisement. This is a local-to-me business with great accounts, and they are including all inventory, equipment, supplies, accounts, website, etc.

I'm mentioning this to all of you in the hope that someone else in my local area will buy it, so I can stop thinking about buying it. :p
AliOop. go for it' sounds exciting.
Its a dream of mine to have a "Brick & Mortar Soap Shop" Hell I'll be happy w/ a kiyosk @ our local mall. šŸ¤—šŸ’«āœØ

Thanks, @Peachy Clean Soap. They don't actually have a brick and mortar shop, just accounts at various local stores, and one national store. That's actually preferable to me, since I wouldn't want to be tied to having to be in a shop during the evenings and weekends, when most sales would be likely to take place.

This place also makes lotions, lip balms, and salves. Sigh.

Thanks, @Peachy Clean Soap. They don't actually have a brick and mortar shop, just accounts at various local stores, and one national store. That's actually preferable to me, since I wouldn't want to be tied to having to be in a shop during the evenings and weekends, when most sales would be likely to take place.

This place also makes lotions, lip balms, and salves. Sigh.
Truth be told that sounds so much better, not having to work retail & all it entails. How exciting! oh you had to mention lip balm & salves SOLD' šŸ˜ƒšŸ™ŒšŸ¼šŸ¤—

Right now I'm waiting on the lye & oils to cool down for today's second batch. First is (hopefully) in gel phase. Here's the top:
20210529_134746.jpg

A friend is getting married the end of July and requested 75 bars of soap to give those who help at the wedding. Hence my sudden soapy explosion :) My sister makes soap too, so we'll be working together on this.

@The_Emerald_Chicken if the top is any indication, that's going to be gorgeous!

@Tara_H so glad you didn't get any large amount of chicken fat... I find that it is nothing special, just ok in very small amounts in a recipe. More than about 5% caused very soft soap for me, and it smells stronger than lard or tallow to me.

Latest posts

Back