What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
Macintosh Apple FO from Candle Science which smells like a lovely fresh apple
Until 10 seconds ago, I didn't know that there is not only the Apple, Inc. computer called Macintosh, but also an Malus domestica fruit variety of that name. I mean, things like “new car” FOs are a thing too, and I'd be not very surprised if someone sells perfumes/FOs/diffuser essences to Steve Jobs disciples, which remind them from camping in front of the Apple stores to get the latest iPhone.

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looky look! Cut my ‘Candy Apple’ soap today. Used Macintosh Apple FO from Candle Science which smells like a lovely fresh apple (not cinnamon).
View attachment 57237
There's a MacIntosh apple fragrance? We had a MacIntosh apple tree on our property where I grew up! Our tree produced a lot of small apples. I didn't like them raw as much since we had other apple varieties that were less tart, but they were my little sister's favorites. They make the best applesauce, and their skin is so red it dyes the applesauce pink, so we could always see which jars of applesauce were MacIntosh. I'm very tempted to make a MacIntosh apple soap for the sake of nostalgia!
Also, it feels very fitting to be taking this trip down memory lane. I'll be packing up soap and making my best body butter and lotion recipes for my parents to take to that same sister this weekend.

Last edited:

Quanta

Reaction score
In soapy news, I've finished my cross cut sled for the table saw! (Bear with me...)
View attachment 57198

Now that I can get much more accurate cuts, I'm all set up to make my own custom soap moulds! (See? 😁 )

But first I practiced with a simple little project and made myself a beveler to my preferred spec. There's one straight blade which I can adjust for depth of cut from about 2mm to 5mm, which seems to be plenty, in testing. I also ground out a second blade to make a roundover profile with shoulders, and I like it a lot!
View attachment 57199

These ancillary projects are great for doing soapy things without actually generating new soap! 🤣
I just had my saw out for a different project, and after everything was all put away I thought about making soap molds. *smacks forehead*
Oh well, it's not hard to get it back out again, it stays in my kitchen because that's where I use it most often (it is waaaay too hot in my garage!), but still, I do have to move furniture around a bit to make space for it when I use it. I found a few small pieces of plywood among my scraps that will do for the molds I need.
I have a silicone loaf mold liner from Bramble Berry, and I need to make molds that use milk cartons as liners for pull-through soap. I should get on that soon.

Tara, I do like the profiled beveler, it looks very professional.

violets2217

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But first I practiced with a simple little project and made myself a beveler to my preferred spec. There's one straight blade which I can adjust for depth of cut from about 2mm to 5mm, which seems to be plenty, in testing. I also ground out a second blade to make a roundover profile with shoulders, and I like it a lot!
Can I put an order in for one of these? Please & Thank You! Although, I would really like to purchase your detailed instructions!!! lol! I really LOVE the rounded beveled edges! You are very skilled!!!

melonpan

Reaction score
I haven't being soaping for a few months now (work and a few other projects which took priority got in the way, plus I honestly made so much soap between December and February!), but today has been a forum-catch-up day and inventory day to prep for the next batch 😁

SoapWitch

Sorcery Soap Witch
Reaction score
I just completed a soap for men. I never think about this, for women or men, ever. I just create. And, this soap has been truly influenced by my man. I dedicated the entire small batch (18 bars) to one design, created a stencil and created a scent for it. These are stenciled with soap dough.

I'm rather proud of the ad copy.

"MOLON LABE SOAP, "COME TAKE THEM".
A classical expression of defiance, for the MEN of Sparta!
A saying reported by Plutarch of King Leonidas I in reply to the demand by Xerxes I that the Spartans put down their weapons. The exchange between Leonidas and Xerxes occurs in writing, on the eve of the Battle of Thermopylae 480 BC.

Each handmade bar of soap has a helmet representing Molon Labe stenciled in soap and dusted with skin safe mica.
SCENT: CHAOS TO ORDER
What soap needs to smell like! A deep rich greenery fragrance with a middle and bottom floral note. A Sorcery Soap blend that is meant to stir ideas of chaos and then order, green to floral is nature's process.

THERE WILL BE ORDER. "

Molon Labe 2 WM.jpg

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brought my brother his birthday present - this was the final haul:
IMG_20210515_080111.jpg

He seemed pretty pleased with them, a general win, I believe! :)

I also took delivery of some new FO and EO samples from Poland, including a bread scented one which is surprisingly convincing! No idea what I'll use it for, I just ordered it from pure curiosity...

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brought my brother his birthday present - this was the final haul:
View attachment 57289

He seemed pretty pleased with them, a general win, I believe! :)

I also took delivery of some new FO and EO samples from Poland, including a bread scented one which is surprisingly convincing! No idea what I'll use it for, I just ordered it from pure curiosity...
Beautiful!!! Very nice, nice, nice. What a lovely sister.

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
Sourdough soap! A cold-and-rainy-Europe-twist on triple rice soap, and indie attitude to sodium lactate addition at the same time. Cast in bread loaf silicone moulds dusted with cocoa powder.

If the weather weren't been that rainy today (and I weren't been that lazy), I'd have bought liquid sourdough extract to liquefy HP soap batter after cooking (No fears that I suddenly have become proponent of industrial baking additives: for the bread I eat, I have my own, alive, in-need-of-affection sourdough).

Latest posts