What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like I’ve been away so long I’ll never catch up. That goes for soaping and this thread!
I thought I had 5-6 soaps that needed to be photoed and posted on my website. I had FIFTEEN! AND new lotion bars and balms. Holy smokes!! It took a few hours, but inventory is up to date, posted online, and initial social media post made.
WHEW!
Meanwhile, I actually managed to make a soap. If base ingredients hadn’t been sitting there prepped (for a month!) I probably wouldn’t have gotten around to it. The day started by playing with soap dough because it’s my favorite! But after 3 tries, and almost breaking my extruder disc, I had to completely change my plan for what I was going to make. It took on a life of it’s own. But, it was fun fun fun!

Zing

Reaction score
So that was a surprise. I came home from work, unwrapped my loaves, got the cutter out, was anxious to post photos of my gardener/mechanic soap and prepped my trusty terrycloth towel backdrop. The first loaf popped right out but was very warm to the touch. That's a new one -- I've always unmolded 24 hours later. It took everything in me to put it back and put the cutter away. This patience stuff is for the birds.

cjkeller

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I made an iced coffee soap (M&P). It's setting up tonight so I'll cut it up tomorrow. I purposely didn't use vanilla color stabilizer because I want it to turn brown on its own (my own goofy experiment). Making the ice cubes was fun! I think next time, I'll use a tiny paddle-like tool that I got with micas to help flood the tiny cavities in the mold. Tomorrow, I'll shrink wrap soap and make a valiant attempt at a Christmas swirl.

MrsZ

Reaction score
Today I made an iced coffee soap (M&P). It's setting up tonight so I'll cut it up tomorrow. I purposely didn't use vanilla color stabilizer because I want it to turn brown on its own (my own goofy experiment). Making the ice cubes was fun! I think next time, I'll use a tiny paddle-like tool that I got with micas to help flood the tiny cavities in the mold. Tomorrow, I'll shrink wrap soap and make a valiant attempt at a Christmas swirl.
I'd love to see a picture of your soap! It sounds amazing!

I unmolded a goats milk and honey soap that I made yesterday. It's fun using the same recipe and tweaking it with different liquids, additives and such. Each batch is turning out just a little bit nicer I think. At least nicer looking. :)

Attachments

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that was a surprise. I came home from work, unwrapped my loaves, got the cutter out, was anxious to post photos of my gardener/mechanic soap and prepped my trusty terrycloth towel backdrop. The first loaf popped right out but was very warm to the touch. That's a new one -- I've always unmolded 24 hours later. It took everything in me to put it back and put the cutter away. This patience stuff is for the birds.
The loaf I just cut was still warm. Why put it back?

After several miserable fails at the embed I wanted to make, I finally just slapped this together. It’s scented MaM Palo Santo, which smells nothing like palo santo, but smells better in soap than OOB. This soap just had a kind of its own. Also, some weird little white bumps that I don’t think are stearic spots, but maybe.
Maybe I’ll call it: Emerald Coast, or high moon. 😆

Attachments

Zing

Reaction score

After several miserable fails at the embed I wanted to make, I finally just slapped this together. It’s scented MaM Palo Santo, which smells nothing like palo santo, but smells better in soap than OOB. This soap just had a kind of its own. Also, some weird little white bumps that I don’t think are stearic spots, but maybe.
I don't know why I put it back. I never have encountered that before but it seemed like it was missing its cozy little fort under the towel pile.
Great green soap there! It looks like it could glow in the dark!

cjkeller

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see a picture of your soap! It sounds amazing!
WELL... I realized a lot in this little experiment. Excitement can totally turn one's brain off in the zeal to make the soap. I probably should have made 2 batches of the little ice cubes. And, in melting the base for the soap I used a clear base instead of the coffee base that I'd intended to use! Hmph. The good news is that my son loves the scent, I got good experience using the itty bitty soap mold and it will still turn darker... just not as dark as I'd hoped for! LOL!

Attachments

MrsZ

Reaction score
WELL... I realized a lot in this little experiment. Excitement can totally turn one's brain off in the zeal to make the soap. I probably should have made 2 batches of the little ice cubes. And, in melting the base for the soap I used a clear base instead of the coffee base that I'd intended to use! Hmph. The good news is that my son loves the scent, I got good experience using the itty bitty soap mold and it will still turn darker... just not as dark as I'd hoped for! LOL!
It's still cool looking! And I'm sure it smells wonderful.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In soapy news, I've finished my cross cut sled for the table saw! (Bear with me...)
IMG_20210512_145101.jpg

Now that I can get much more accurate cuts, I'm all set up to make my own custom soap moulds! (See? 😁 )

But first I practiced with a simple little project and made myself a beveler to my preferred spec. There's one straight blade which I can adjust for depth of cut from about 2mm to 5mm, which seems to be plenty, in testing. I also ground out a second blade to make a roundover profile with shoulders, and I like it a lot!
IMG_20210513_134023.jpg

These ancillary projects are great for doing soapy things without actually generating new soap! 🤣

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In soapy news, I've finished my cross cut sled for the table saw! (Bear with me...)
View attachment 57198

Now that I can get much more accurate cuts, I'm all set up to make my own custom soap moulds! (See? 😁 )

But first I practiced with a simple little project and made myself a beveler to my preferred spec. There's one straight blade which I can adjust for depth of cut from about 2mm to 5mm, which seems to be plenty, in testing. I also ground out a second blade to make a roundover profile with shoulders, and I like it a lot!
View attachment 57199

These ancillary projects are great for doing soapy things without actually generating new soap! 🤣
Thats awesome' :hippo:

Love the vibrant color' Wow :computerbath:

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I made my 1st "in pot wonder design" for our May challenge' yay i'm in' here is the catch I'm only having one go at it' so however my design turns out It's gonna be entered in the challenge. I also used powered goat milk for the first time' wasn't quite sure if I did that right either' I added a little distilled water to it mixed real well then add'ed to hot oils. so hope it turns out. either way Soap smells great.

violets2217

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was practicing my procrastination skills , so I ran to Dollar Tree and got some more spatulas and found some pretty contact paper. Decided to use it to make my molds prettier... and a little easier to keep the outsides clean. Since they are wood it will be easy to change and replace the contact paper. Went a head and lined them to so when I make more soap they are ready to go! I really did not want to vacuum and mop the floors or do laundry! 🙄😳😬
911FA828-9E63-480E-A225-C7754F63C158.jpeg

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
There still was that box with a salted-out lump of soap standing around for at least a month, I just haven't had the incentive to care about them. Planing slivers, soap scraps, and a few questionable experiments etc., some from the phase where I played a lot with red palm oil. They have stood outside, and changed their colour to something similar to rotting flesh.
High time to salt-rebatch a second time! Gosh, was I surprised to see the soap curds swimming on top of the murky brown salt brine in such a beautiful bright orange!
salting_out_red_palm.jpg
Tomorrow when cooled down but still soft, I'll squeeze this mash into silicone moulds for handy pieces. A late second life for these waste soaps to end up as boring (or not so boring?) everyday household soaps. Cradle-to-cradle! 💫

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 57198

View attachment 57199

You are one skilled woman! I am very impressed.

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was practicing my procrastination skills , so I ran to Dollar Tree and got some more spatulas and found some pretty contact paper. Decided to use it to make my molds prettier... and a little easier to keep the outsides clean. Since they are wood it will be easy to change and replace the contact paper. Went a head and lined them to so when I make more soap they are ready to go! I really did not want to vacuum and mop the floors or do laundry! 🙄😳😬
View attachment 57231
Pretty Box's like the print. Much more fun then housework' 😉💫👍🏼

Guspuppy

Reaction score
View attachment 57198

View attachment 57199

I am in awe of you. That is all. 😁

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished a batch of lemongrass soap. I didn't use any colorants or anything even though I had them ready. The specs for the EO said discolors to yellow, so at the last minute I decided to not add anything at all and pour into my square ish mold and do a crinkle cut (tomorrow).

My lord, I am so used to fighting with misbehaving colors and FO's that I wasn't prepared for the long time it took to trace to pour (and the small amt of dishes).. This was the most relaxing soap session I have ever encountered LOL. The most stressful part was going to get a mold for over-pour. I came back to the batter and it was still nice. I'm like "really? rice up or something. Make this interesting" LMBO. "I swear I will go pee and you are going to be soap on a stick, right?" Nope, perfectly behaved batter.