Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Juggsy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey @Juggsy - I'm pretty sure posts can only be deleted by Admins. Additionally, they can only be edited for a time - I have no idea what that time is, but the time to edit is limited. Start a conversation with an Admin to delete any of your posts. Or, like I think most of us do, edit the post and the just type "Deleted". Hope that helps!

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
Only just, I have updated my personal stock and recipe inventory, first time including quantities. Since last october, I'm making soap at a quite constant rate of 20 g/day (oil input). This is highly unsustainable!

In another, no less tedious self-monitoring experiment, I found that I'm using up soap at a rate of 0.5 g per hand washing or about 5 g per shower.

Clearly, showering four times and/or washing my hands 40 times a day is obviously a bad idea. But which alternatives do I have? Making less soap? :eek:

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only just, I have updated my personal stock and recipe inventory, first time including quantities. Since last october, I'm making soap at a quite constant rate of 20 g/day (oil input). This is highly unsustainable!

In another, no less tedious self-monitoring experiment, I found that I'm using up soap at a rate of 0.5 g per hand washing or about 5 g per shower.

Clearly, showering four times and/or washing my hands 40 times a day is obviously a bad idea. But which alternatives do I have? Making less soap? :eek:
Dear RO - Just get a bigger soap cupboard. 😁
No doubt, you remember this from @Tara_H in the "struggle" thread...

1620235961446.png

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In soapy things today, I... ordered a new callipers and feeler gauges, so that I can make a new cross-cut sled for my table saw, so that I can make straight cuts at a right angle more easily, so that I can make a new box, so that I can make a silicone mould, so that I can make tall & skinny soaps that don't get stuck when I try to unmould them! <deep breath> and then I practiced lining the mould I have more effectively, as a fall back plan.

I also learned how to make lotions! Almost immediately followed by how to repair separated lotions! 🤣 but I think I have the hang of it now, and husband and I are both more moisturised than either of us have been in years.

1620243720761.png
1620243756130.png

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In soapy things today, I... ordered a new callipers and feeler gauges, so that I can make a new cross-cut sled for my table saw, so that I can make straight cuts at a right angle more easily, so that I can make a new box, so that I can make a silicone mould, so that I can make tall & skinny soaps that don't get stuck when I try to unmould them! <deep breath> and then I practiced lining the mould I have more effectively, as a fall back plan.

I also learned how to make lotions! Almost immediately followed by how to repair separated lotions! 🤣 but I think I have the hang of it now, and husband and I are both more moisturised than either of us have been in years.

View attachment 56991 View attachment 56992
I think I need to order molds from you! Or...maybe it would be less expensive to just fly you and hubs over here.

Corsara

Reaction score
I'm trying to stick to my intention of making a variety of basic soap recipes, and not get too distracted by fancy designs and ingredients! On that note, last night I made Zany's no slime Castile with the added coconut and castor oil, to compare to the 100% olive oil one I made a while ago.

I have been trying to make time to soap for a couple of weeks, so once my baby was in bed and my husband was out playing with his toys (hunting), I made myself do it even though I didn't feel up to it. I don't plan on doing that again 😅 it wasn't quite a disaster, but just enough kept going nearly wrong to put me off (including a dash over to my mother-in-law's house to grab extra olive oil after I'd already mixed my lye).

I poured in cavity molds because I couldn't be bothered to line my mold, and when I unmolded this morning, three of them had missing corners that were wet and zappy 😫 the rest are really pretty and simple though.

Attachments

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I poured in cavity molds because I couldn't be bothered to line my mold, and when I unmolded this morning, three of them had missing corners that were wet and zappy 😫 the rest are really pretty and simple though.
They look really pretty! Castile/bastile soaps do take longer to harden up in the mold, even with the addition of the faux seawater. It's hard to resist taking them out early, so I usually pop them in the freezer to get them hard enough to remove without bunged-up corners or details. Then I quickly get them on the curing tray before they start defrosting and going soft again.

Corsara

Reaction score
They look really pretty! Castile/bastile soaps do take longer to harden up in the mold, even with the addition of the faux seawater. It's hard to resist taking them out early, so I usually pop them in the freezer to get them hard enough to remove without bunged-up corners or details. Then I quickly get them on the curing tray before they start defrosting and going soft again.
I didn't think that's what it was 🤔 all of them were nice and hard, except a couple of corners that looked like just water, not soft or wet batter.

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to stick to my intention of making a variety of basic soap recipes, and not get too distracted by fancy designs and ingredients! On that note, last night I made Zany's no slime Castile with the added coconut and castor oil, to compare to the 100% olive oil one I made a while ago.

I have been trying to make time to soap for a couple of weeks, so once my baby was in bed and my husband was out playing with his toys (hunting), I made myself do it even though I didn't feel up to it. I don't plan on doing that again 😅 it wasn't quite a disaster, but just enough kept going nearly wrong to put me off (including a dash over to my mother-in-law's house to grab extra olive oil after I'd already mixed my lye).

I think those are some pretty bars of soap! Nicely done, even if there were mystery pools in the corners. Was it just the corners that were zappy? They might mellow out soon enough in a few days...

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut this AM. Used some calendula infused OO in this along with 40% lard, CO, Shea and castor. Scented with Lemongrass and Litsea EOs. It smells heavenly! The picture of the loaf came out lighter than it is IRL. Tested out a tiny sliver and oooooooh did it lather beautifully. Can’t wait til this one is cured. It was the simplest and easiest soaping experience ever. No color, no design. I need to do more like this especially since some of my customers tell me the soaps are too pretty to use. I hate hearing that. Lol.
91858E09-E74F-44AA-9AA8-E314B84792A7.jpeg
C24BCDEF-6FC7-41BE-8321-454161DFDC14.jpeg

Zing

Reaction score
I made lots o' lip butter trying to dupe a brand name. I got a lot of practical advice from my peeps here, so I 'preciate that! I couldn't get the scent right, but the consistency is perfect. I also discovered the joys of cupuacu butter. For folks that use BTMS in lotions and potions, a microwave is MUCH better than a double boiler. Evidently my college son and all his friends are addicted to this product so I am sending a couple dozen his way.

Juggsy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made lots o' lip butter trying to dupe a brand name. I got a lot of practical advice from my peeps here, so I 'preciate that! I couldn't get the scent right, but the consistency is perfect. I also discovered the joys of cupuacu butter. For folks that use BTMS in lotions and potions, a microwave is MUCH better than a double boiler. Evidently my college son and all his friends are addicted to this product so I am sending a couple dozen his way.
While, I do melt BTMS in microwave (melting pont is just over 80 from memory) before homogenising. I would refrain from saying melt in microwave then mix. Lotions and conditioners with BTMS should be homogenised (heating both oil and water phases at keeping them between 70°c and 80°cor at least 20 minutes). Some people use double boiler/water bath, I use a magnetic stirrer hotplate and can place both beakers directly onto the heat when homogenising. Magnetic heated stirrers are a god send for me, I have chronic pain and tend to overdo it (I'm really not good at moderating my activity.)
I don't use the term heating and holding, in fact, I only realised due to another post about heating and holding that I had been doing it all along. You are less likely to have a unstable lotion if you do blend both your phases. Of course if you are using Sucragel, Sepiplus 400 or another cold emulsifier and you follow good manufacturing processes you can get away without it. But, it is really easy to do and once it's a habit you will do it without thinking. I heat my phases to 70°c and keep it under 80°c for 20 minutes. Actually when I'm homogenising, I tend to re-sterilise my work area and put a bowl of cold water in the freezer. Helps reach cool down faster.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another not very soapy day today, although I did make some bath bombs. I also had a bit of a shopping spree so there are more EO and FO in my future!

I did some virtual soaping and made a mock up of what I would like my challenge soap to be, hopefully tomorrow I'll get a run at actually pouring it. 🤞

I also built a new vibrating table and got my casts to the point where I could do a test of the actual silicone, although I have to wait 24 hours to see how it comes out! (Worse than soap...)

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
Made fresh avocado and coconut milk soap. Haven’t made it in almost a year.

Also made 10,000 masterbatch of fats. And cut attempt #1 soap for the May challenge. I really like it!

Making wedding soap for a friend’s daughter’s wedding. Cannot remember who here posted about making Castile soap on wedding day with an explanation on how the soap is timeless and only gets better with age. So that’ll be my gift to them.

Latest posts