What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where can I learn more about these boxes for round flat soap?!
Here you go :)

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
I learned today why Soapee, and the SoapmakingFriend and soapcalc.net lye calculators have troubles with cupuaçu butter: the fatty acid numbers add up to mere 87% (for most other oils they end up above 96%).
Cupuaçu is a pretty abundant source (7–8%) of arachidic acid C20:0, which, in terms soapmaking is very similar to stearic acid (for hardness, creamy lather, comparatively low solubility, stearic spots).

My Portuguese skills aren't sufficient to extract all the other exciting information about cupuaçu and cocoa butter from this amazing scientific paper.

It also means that soap calculators underestimate the “hardness” and “longevity” numbers of cupuaçu butter. Heads-up to not blindly rely on soapcalc numbers! Cupuaçu would be better rated S=43 rather than S=35 (+20%!) to reflect its impact on soap hardness.

This somewhat nullifies my efforts to vary P/S without varying P+S. 😞 Once more I wish that the characteristic property numbers of soaps were more flexibly calculated/manually revised than just “longevity = P+S”.
The time at which I'll write my own calculator isn't far, I guess 😵 😝. It'll keep track of minor fatty acids (MCT, exotic poly-unsaturated FAs, palmitoleic, arachidic, erucic, butyric, trans fats, odd-chain FAs), unsaponifiables (sterols, fatty alcohols, squalene), data sheets/publications as sources for as many numbers as possible, and eventually employ proper error propagation to better estimate uncertainties/natural variations.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, @Tara_H! I enjoy playing with color, particular pairing warmer tones with a surprise of color where you have to give it a second glance.
They're all great but the green one in particular I keep looking at! It feels like it should clash, but then it doesn't, and the sharpness of the different greens is stunning. 👌

Zing

Reaction score

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
They're all great but the green one in particular I keep looking at! It feels like it should clash, but then it doesn't, and the sharpness of the different greens is stunning. 👌
This is also both how I dress and interior design our house. I think it all reflects the inner-workings of my brain. 🤪

I have no words! Stunning! And how the heck did you yin and then yang??!!
Thanks, @Zing! It was not a peaceful process, let me tell you. Made the embeds using a column mold and a sheet of pliable plastic, of which I had to experiment with three different materials. Lots of wasted raw materials. Sadly, only a handful came out looking yinny and/or yangy. Embedded them into the red soap.

I'm still looking for the perfect material to take another crack at it.

Zing

Reaction score
Thanks, @Zing! It was not a peaceful process, let me tell you. Made the embeds using a column mold and a sheet of pliable plastic, of which I had to experiment with three different materials. Lots of wasted raw materials. Sadly, only a handful came out looking yinny and/or yangy. Embedded them into the red soap.

I'm still looking for the perfect material to take another crack at it.
Now my head hurts. :(

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
This is also both how I dress and interior design our house.
You dress like a glacier valley?
It was not a peaceful process, let me tell you. Made the embeds using a column mold
Ruined Lollipop swirl? 😜
Joke aside, I could imagine to first make two thin “inner inlay” columns in pure white/black: they then can hold an S-shaped plastic sheet in place, to fill the surrounding yin-yang “tails” (inside a larger circular mould) with a second batch of identically coloured soap. One step more (+ 2 days), yes, but arguably more consistent throughout the whole column, and no free-floating curved plastic.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I
Icould imagine to first make two thin “inner inlay” columns in pure white/black: they then can hold an S-shaped plastic sheet in place, to fill the surrounding yin-yang “tails” (inside a larger circular mould) with a second batch of identically coloured soap. One step more (+ 2 days), yes, but arguably more consistent throughout the whole column, and no free-floating curved plastic.
I was kind of thinking the same, but I wonder how well they would join? And there's potential risk for halo effects...

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
You dress like a glacier valley?

Ruined Lollipop swirl? 😜
Joke aside, I could imagine to first make two thin “inner inlay” columns in pure white/black: they then can hold an S-shaped plastic sheet in place, to fill the surrounding yin-yang “tails” (inside a larger circular mould) with a second batch of identically coloured soap. One step more (+ 2 days), yes, but arguably more consistent throughout the whole column, and no free-floating curved plastic.
Oh, I troubleshooted the heck out of the embed engineering. I even looking into buying and shaping stainless steel sheeting to shape into one half of the yin/yang, then piece them together and embed into the rectangular mold. I shaped the plastic into an "S" and poured the black and white into the column at the same time. Then I pulled the plastic sheet out carefully. The problem was that the AC in the black thickened up more than the TD in the white and when I pulled it out the white displaced the black.

Even thinking back on it is giving me mild PTSD... 👿

Yup, this is exactly what I did. I even watched this very same video as a guide. My plastic partition was not rigid enough. At least, that is what I figure.

Ladka

Reaction score
I threw away the third bag of raw beef tallow. It was kept in a refrigerator and I kept an eye (in fact a nostril) on it to notice any smell of degrading traces of blood on it. I noticed none and prepared the table to start cutting it. It was only then I saw mould on the surface of chunks. What did I say to myself? I thanked Got I was freed of the chore and immediately decided that the couple of kilograms of fine rendered tallow in my refrigerator and a whole box of raw tallow in my freezer is quite enough for my soaping for several months if not even years.

Latest posts