What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
It looks lovely. I've not used nori in soap. I imagine with a salt soap it would smell awesome.
It's not actual nori, it's the soap dough I used to imitate nori of my sushi soap. But it's not totally wrong to call it nori, since I coloured it with spirulina, and it has an intense seaweed-like smell.
Best thing about soaping that most of our experiments started out as an unintentional accident. 😍
🤭 #21,305

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried some different soap-adjacent things today.

Of course I had to have a go of @ResolvableOwl's crazy boxes since I have many round flat soaps from the last challenge that are a pain to store! I'm happy to report that the technique worked nicely:
IMG_20210503_141926.jpg
(Yes, there is actually a soap in there!)

And I'm halfway through trying this concept for making silicone inlays for soap moulds. My individual moulds don't get much use since they're kind of boring, so sprucing them up with some plant-based designs.
IMG_20210503_132826.jpg IMG_20210503_135913.jpg
IMG_20210503_135943.jpg IMG_20210503_140856.jpg
I'm having a break for lunch now but if all goes as planned I may get to try out the silicone this evening. (Not 100% sure if it will, since that's not actually plaster of Paris but some wall filler that's been knocking around the shed for years, so it may be a bit old, or it may not like being diluted at 2:1 instead of 2.5:1.

Our vibrating table is broken and we haven't got around to making a new one, so I improvised! (Also an excuse to test the video upload feature 😁) You'll probably want to mute sound before playing it though...

Attachments

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score

Of course I had to have a go of @ResolvableOwl's crazy boxes since I have many round flat soaps from the last challenge that are a pain to store! I'm happy to report that the technique worked nicely:
View attachment 56877
😍
My sketch (angles!) was intended for six-fold boxes, and I haven't looked what the templatemaker would do with the angles. Obviously, it did reasonably well.

Don't forget to post some action shots over there too!

You'll probably want to mute sound before playing it though..
The soundtrack was the best part! :dance:

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 56877

And I'm halfway through trying this concept for making silicone inlays for soap moulds. My individual moulds don't get much use since they're kind of boring, so sprucing them up with some plant-based designs.
View attachment 56878 View attachment 56879
View attachment 56880 View attachment 56881
I'm having a break for lunch now but if all goes as planned I may get to try out the silicone this evening. (Not 100% sure if it will, since that's not actually plaster of Paris but some wall filler that's been knocking around the shed for years, so it may be a bit old, or it may not like being diluted at 2:1 instead of 2.5:1.

Our vibrating table is broken and we haven't got around to making a new one, so I improvised! (Also an excuse to test the video upload feature 😁) You'll probably want to mute sound before playing it though...
A girl after my own heart - you slay me! Love every bit of it!
I must say, you are the gadget maven.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the patterns are coming out pretty well, but there's no way they'll be dry enough tonight to get properly clean and remove all the clay. I'll have to wait until the morning, I guess. There are plenty of air bubbles messing up the fine detail, but it's not bad for a medium that's not at all intended for casting. Last set were mixed at 8:4.5 powder to water and that was a pretty good consistency but I still need more vibration.

IMG_20210503_200057.jpg

Can't wait now to make cypress and lavender scented soaps with the matching moulds!

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made goats milk soaps that actually worked! It's nothing compared with all of y'all's beautiful soaps, but for me it's a win.
Looks great! Those little honeycomb moulds are so cute 😍

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 56877

View attachment 56882
Love your round box' it turned out fantastic.

I haven't made soap in a couple of weeks's Ive got an over load of soap' but I'm having soap W/ draws 🤣😂 so ive convinced myself Ive gotta improve my last citrus soap w/ the one prior which I was kinda trying to duplicate but decided to switch up a few EO & FO @ the last minuet. In any case sounds convincing enough 💫🤣😉.

I'll look for a Shelter & donate some soap. 💫🤗🧼❤.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y’all are always just the inspiration I need. My soap making obsession is second only to my turkey hunting g obsession. So, for the last month I’ve only made soap once, and done almost no soapy things. After obsessively consuming and producing all things soap making, as a therapy, for the last year, this break was interesting. It kind of turned into a rut that I’m trying to break out of.
This coming Sunday I have a farmers market. I’ve still got 5 new soaps I need to put on my website. Today I steamed some ash off my mother’s day soaps, and trimmed up some other soaps that are ready. That was motivating. Waiting for my label guy (DH) so I can package them.
This week will hopefully be a social media blitz of newly packaged soaps posted to my website and ready for the farmers market.
And I’m starting to get jazzed about getting back in the studio to make more.

Attachments

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 56877

View attachment 56882
Where can I learn more about these boxes for round flat soap?!

This is what I've been up to... Down a weird bend in the rabbit hole. This is all soap, btw. View attachment 56893
Fanfreakingtastic!!!

bookworm

Reaction score
Don't throw it away! You can definitely rebatch it. Put the whole thing into an oven-safe container, and put that in the oven. Turn the oven on to 200F, and watch it closely until it becomes molten and soft. This could take some time, and you might need to add a bit of liquid (1 T at a time) to help it along. When it is stir-able, mix it up, pour back into your mold, and cut when it is firm like cheddar cheese.
Well, I gave it a try. Let's hope it turns out ok. There are some white specks in the white part.

Attachments

Latest posts