What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arghx! These poor white micas, where she goes in with the spoon that is still blue!
In the end, they stopped just in time before shaking hands with lye gloves still on.
As I was watching it I realized I had a look on my face that was a cross between smelling something terrible and experiencing pain. 😂😂😂

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
They have another video showing how they let customers make their own soaps. They were wearing goggles in that one, fortunately, but still lots of silly stuff. "We let them design their own soap to be as moisturizing as they want."

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to reworking my avatar soap! I like the top, but the base slab was beyond meh. Just pale greyish blue, no scent whatsoever, basically nothing going for it.

I planed off as much as I could then peeled and scraped off the rest until only the top pour remained.
IMG_20210423_103832.jpg IMG_20210423_111418.jpg
The remaining parts were pretty thin in places!

Then I poured a new base into a custom mould (cardboard box), duplicating the original colours as closely as I could. Unfortunately it was before I was keeping good notes on the quantities of mica, but I had at least recorded the names. Did a sort of choppy layers pour, sprayed the backs of the pared down tops with alcohol and scratched them up a bit, and reconstructed.
IMG_20210423_122006.jpg

Here they are newly cut, looking so much better, I can now rest easy on this account at least.
IMG_20210423_161108.jpg

AAShillito

Reaction score
Sweet Orange & Activated Charcoal yesterday and my original recipe with Nurture Somali Soul FO and Magic Mushroom Mica. I can't resist putting mica on tops of loaves.

Just put this baby to bed. A custom order for party favors. These are for the ladies. Black Raspberry Vanilla. Inside is a JGS. Now to make the guy‘s soaps.
View attachment 56410
What's a JGS?

Me too!. Who mixes dark to light?
When I see that sort of stuff I wonder how they are in their kitchen cooking.

Attachments

AAShillito

Reaction score
"And now that we're done cutting up the raw chicken, let's use this same knife to chop veggies for the salad!"
No kidding! When I'm cooking I like to clean as I go esp large meals like Thanksgiving. Keeps the whole area cleaner with multiple food prep. I was watching the video and like those people must never have been burnt by hot liquid soup or gravy or sauce. Way too much flinging going on.

Quanta

Reaction score
No kidding! When I'm cooking I like to clean as I go esp large meals like Thanksgiving. Keeps the whole area cleaner with multiple food prep. I was watching the video and like those people must never have been burnt by hot liquid soup or gravy or sauce. Way too much flinging going on.
I'd be willing to bet that they don't actually cook their own food.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I couldn't get past the introduction. "The lye is used to make the soap harden" REALLY??? I can't watch this. I'm already in a bad mood LOL
Later on she says the FO is what makes it hard 🤣

I also made some science
The results of this test are incredible!

Photographed today in a brief pool of actual sunlight:
IMG_20210424_103453.jpg

Tame for the most part, but check out #5, green moss and ferns! That purple colour is entirely from the FO! o_O It started out with brown lumps within an hour or so of mixing, overnight the lumps turned to dark purple, which has been spreading through the soap ever since!

Last edited:

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
Tame for the most part, but check out #5, green moss and ferns! That purple colour is entirely from the FO! o_O It started out with brown lumps within an hour or so of mixing, overnight the lumps turned to dark purple, which has been spreading through the soap ever since!
Insider's tip for the next “Let's collect blueberries in the woods!” concept soap!

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Later on she says the FO is what makes it hard 🤣

The results of this test are incredible!

Photographed today in a brief pool of actual sunlight:
View attachment 56441

I know you're in the UK, but which source was that FO from?

Ladka

Reaction score
I've been rendering a portion of my beef tallow, refrigerating a major portion of raw tallow divided into smaller portions, refrigerating another portion while the last portion is waiting on a balcony. Unfortunately (for the task) the weather is quite warm.
I never realised fresh talow emanates such a pleasant fragrance when rendered. I guess it was absolutely fresh, I believe I got it within a few hours of butchering.

Latest posts