What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My soapy thing yesterday was cutting up bars from an older batch into guest-sized bars and putting them into drawstring bags with the ingredient labels. My friend fell in love with the recipe (high lard, long cure) and fragrance (Bora Bora from RE). She will be giving them as Mother's Day gifts to her employees at her daycare/preschool. I threw in some unscented bars from another batch just in case some of her employees need something without the smells.

My other kinda soapy thing was admiring (ok coveting) the stainless steel work tables that TSA has set up in the airports to help folks repack their bags and redress themselves after the screening process. Nothing against TSA but my thought was that soaping would be the highest and best use for those fine pieces of equipment.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooh, I also made some science with the help of my beautiful assistant (aka husband). Properly tested a set of the new FO by making 8 bar-sized pours, adding FO to each, and tracking how they moved through trace. (Following I Dream In Soap video, and thank you to the person who pointed me at them who I've had a little too much wine to recall right now)

Many unexpected results and some unfortunate ones (the frankincense accelerates madly 😭 and the green moss & fern goes all brown and lumpy 🤨 But the honeysuckle and jasmine behaved very properly 😁) and the most interesting outcome of all was the control bar, which was liquid not only until the half hour of stirring was up, but also after a subsequent hour of CPOP it was still pourable!

IMG_20210421_173830.jpg

(After half an hour)

violets2217

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made my final April Challenge soaps. They've gotten less "lollipop" with each iteration. My second attempt is still the better of the lot. I'm so over this design.
I know I tried that stupid swirl maybe 8 times.. I lost count! Not once did it come out correctly! I do like the pour though... for some reason I found it calming! I kept trying because I love my new molds, experimenting with some "natural" colorants- I tried aloe vera powder today and finally I was testing out some of my new fragrance oils. I'm done making soap for a while, I ran out of room to cure and oils!

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Catscankim - I found the instructions @Primrose provided for the Feb 2020 SMF Challenge, here, to be very helpful for getting the hang of hanger swirling. I also watched A LOT of Ione’s videos on YT.
Yes! This is what I studied along with videos to perfect my hanger swirl. Thank you @Primrose for the detailed instructions on this technique. Some day I want to make a video.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just put my Latte Soap to bed CPOPing in the oven. The cafe latte from CC was nice to work with. Discolors to a nice brown, plus I soaped with coffee for the water.

The grinds from the K-cups make a nice scrubby without too much abrasion. The only color I used was TD on the top to make a "foam" on my latte. "What I would do differently" the next go round, is to add the coffee grinds to the bottoms only. I added to the main batter before splitting off, so now the foam has coffee grinds in to as well LOL..

Can't wait to cut.

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
Well, I was going to post this to my website to celebrate Earth Day today but I just looked at the last photo I took of this soap and it’s awful! Unfortunately, it’s dark and gloomy so I can’t rely on natural light to redo these. Really in need of some sort of studio lighting and a better setup.
16BCCD24-3C60-419B-9181-1BBA42A7BB8C.jpeg

AAShillito

Reaction score
Well, I was going to post this to my website to celebrate Earth Day today but I just looked at the last photo I took of this soap and it’s awful! Unfortunately, it’s dark and gloomy so I can’t rely on natural light to redo these. Really in need of some sort of studio lighting and a better setup. View attachment 56391
Awe that's so 😍

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some yay!

I cut the AWP and it's adorable and smells amazing (orange and frankincense, and cocoa butter in the batter, om nom nom.)
IMG_20210422_095531.jpg

Also some not so yay, after a 2 hour (!) lollipop attempt I realised when I stopped that the ache in my back had been distracting me from the itching on my hand... turns out I somehow got a hole in a glove at some point during the proceedings. I didn't even know the ring on that hand would come off, but it's amazing what you can do when you're motivated 😖

Worst part is I still don't think I got quite what I wanted from that pour - my old nemesis Jack frost came to visit and all my batter got sludgy - so I'll need to try again tomorrow!

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some yay!

Also some not so yay, after a 2 hour (!) lollipop attempt I realised when I stopped that the ache in my back had been distracting me from the itching on my hand... turns out I somehow got a hole in a glove at some point during the proceedings. I didn't even know the ring on that hand would come off, but it's amazing what you can do when you're motivated 😖
Ok, so the soap - absolutely adorable indeed! 🥰 So sorry about your hand/finger, and your lollipop pour. :confused:

I know I tried that stupid swirl maybe 8 times.. I lost count! Not once did it come out correctly! I do like the pour though... for some reason I found it calming! I kept trying because I love my new molds, experimenting with some "natural" colorants- I tried aloe vera powder today and finally I was testing out some of my new fragrance oils. I'm done making soap for a while, I ran out of room to cure and oils!
I had the same experience with the Circling Taiwan Swirl! I found the technique very calming and didn't even mind the celanup, but I sure couldn't get it right. Others were like, oh I made such a nice one on my first or second attempt. Well lah-tee-dah as I sat trying to figure out what to do better for my 7th (or whatever) attempt. 🤣

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
FOAMERS have arrived! Beware, dull and boring LS, you'll become a lather wonder all of a sudden!

foamer.jpg
The only downside is that I only have bought two of them, but modelling bubbly wobbly mountains of bright froth is SO MUCH FUN!!!!
First field test today in the shower. Wow! They're doing a great job when soap is diluted down from the wasteful doses of standard dispensers to more sensible concentrations. Great to save on soap? Yes, unless one decides to have fun with abundant lather 😍