What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Angie Gail

Reaction score
Thats understandable. On my bucket list' 💫🧼🤗
I haven't been rejected yet but I also try to apply early. Doing shows are really fun and it's nice to be able to interact with customers in person (I also sell online). At one of the shows we did this March a couple came into our booth and said as they were walking around they were wondering if anyone was selling soap and then they looked up and saw our sign and were so happy. Moments like that make all the hard work worth it. We've got two more shows lined up for this month - yay!

Attachments

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been rejected yet but I also try to apply early. Doing shows are really fun and it's nice to be able to interact with customers in person (I also sell online). At one of the shows we did this March a couple came into our booth and said as they were walking around they were wondering if anyone was selling soap and then they looked up and saw our sign and were so happy. Moments like that make all the hard work worth it. We've got two more shows lined up for this month - yay!
Your booth is beautiful & inviting' I'd defiantly want to stop & shop. 💫🧼🤗

Angie Gail

Reaction score
Your booth is beautiful & inviting' I'd defiantly want to stop & shop. 💫🧼🤗
Thanks! It looked better with the lighting but I didn't have it up yet in that pic. We (my mom and I run the business together) work hard doing practice set ups and I think we finally have a good look/design down now. I'm excited for our next show (Apr 17th) because it's the first one where I'll have some of my CP drop swirl soaps for sale. I hope they'll be really eye catching.

Attachments

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! It looked better with the lighting but I didn't have it up yet in that pic. We (my mom and I run the business together) work hard doing practice set ups and I think we finally have a good look/design down now. I'm excited for our next show (Apr 17th) because it's the first one where I'll have some of my CP drop swirl soaps for sale. I hope they'll be really eye catching.
I gotta zoom in on your pictures. Best of luck I'm sure your soap will be beautiful. 🧼💫
Update: your soap swirls are beautiful... 🤗🧼💫.

Angie Gail

Reaction score
I gotta zoom in on your pictures. Best of luck I'm sure your soap will be beautiful. 🧼💫
Update: your soap swirls are beautiful... 🤗🧼💫.
Thanks! I was really surprised how easy it is to do the drop swirls and get such a neat look (which is why I have made so many that way - ha!). I really haven't had much luck with in the pot swirls but I love the drop swirl!!!

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after making the end cut (shown on the bottom right of the picture), I decided to do the rest by cutting the loaf into four and then each in half horizontally. I like the swirl much better. Just cutting the loaf the regular way made it look like an unruly pour LOL.

Satsuma Orange from NS. I really didn't like it OOB...but I love it in the soap. I only used 5% instead of my usual 6%. I personally like strongly scented soap, but some of my customers do not, so I bumped it down a notch, but it is still a fairly strong scent.

I cut a little early, so they are still fairly soft.
Beautiful!!!

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try hard to make nice pictures for my Instagram page. It is not for sale though. It is for markets. When I apply to attend a craft event, I send my soap page to an owner of event. Last 2 times I was not accepted. I feel soooo sad. If anyone has time, please, take a look at my page, what I can improve there? My name on Instagram is exotictravelsoap.
Your soap looks great. Are they giving a reason? Do they have too many soap sellers? It could be that simple. Try other markets!

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My individual moulds arrived today so I tried salt bars. I thought I was prepared for them getting thick super fast. I was not prepared. I got it to emulsion, turned around to put the SB in the sink, turned back - bam, it's too thick to pour 🤨

Still made some decent bars, I think. I blobbed it into the moulds, put some blue mica in oil on top and poked it with my gloved fingers to encourage it into the corners and make an interesting looking top (since smooth was out of the question).

Took an interlude for a challenge attempt and by the time I was done the salt bars were wanting to come out!
IMG_20210407_160152.jpg

I won't post the challenge attempt since it may actually be The One if it makes it through to cutting. If I tell you it took about an hour just for the pouring part and then the door fell off the oven when I put it to CPOP you'll have some idea of what that was like... But somehow the batter stayed fluid right til the bitter end, I managed to balance the colours just about right, and I didn't knock anything over! So fingers crossed...

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My individual moulds arrived today so I tried salt bars. I thought I was prepared for them getting thick super fast. I was not prepared. I got it to emulsion, turned around to put the SB in the sink, turned back - bam, it's too thick to pour 🤨

Still made some decent bars, I think. I blobbed it into the moulds, put some blue mica in oil on top and poked it with my gloved fingers to encourage it into the corners and make an interesting looking top (since smooth was out of the question).

Took an interlude for a challenge attempt and by the time I was done the salt bars were wanting to come out!

I won't post the challenge attempt since it may actually be The One if it makes it through to cutting. If I tell you it took about an hour just for the pouring part and then the door fell off the oven when I put it to CPOP you'll have some idea of what that was like... But somehow the batter stayed fluid right til the bitter end, I managed to balance the colours just about right, and I didn't knock anything over! So fingers crossed...
Salt Bars - look fab and love the colors! Once again it's good to know your experience for my future reference.
Challenge attempt - Right?! My first attempt took so long my back ached when I was done and it prompted Hubs to order me a standing mat. Glad to know it's not just me! 😁
Oven door - Oh dear. NICE recovery, lady!

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first attempt took so long my back ached when I was done
I think the first few I rushed through a bit because the batter was thickening so they were... fine but not really what I was going for. This time I got to properly concentrate but it was quite the effort!! I actually really like the acrylic pen holder mould because it's so sturdy I can rest the jug on the edge and hold the tip of the spout with my opposite hand. It helps a lot to counteract the shakes.

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut my “Glenlivet” soap - used a Glenlivet box, which is triangular with rounded edges, for a mold. This was supposed to be a lollipop swirl, but the batter was too thick even if it had been a round mold. Kind of an interesting novelty soap, though.
I also attempted a lollipop swirl in one of the acrylic pipes I ordered and received today. Help. How in the world do people get the circles so perfect? I was afraid of having my batter too thick again but this time I think it was too thin and didn’t stay on top. Sigh.C5F57ADE-6DD8-4FDA-9B67-DD5234D313C0.jpeg

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut my “Glenlivet” soap - used a Glenlivet box, which is triangular with rounded edges, for a mold. This was supposed to be a lollipop swirl, but the batter was too thick even if it had been a round mold. Kind of an interesting novelty soap, though.
I also attempted a lollipop swirl in one of the acrylic pipes I ordered and received today. Help. How in the world do people get the circles so perfect? I was afraid of having my batter too thick again but this time I think it was too thin and didn’t stay on top. Sigh.
I agree that it's still a pretty cool soap. I think you've answered your own question - get the batter somewhere between the two you've tried. If you have a slow moving/tracing recipe then perhaps that would be best to use and then just sort of wait it out to the right consistency (somewhere between your other two batters). :)

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that it's still a pretty cool soap. I think you've answered your own question - get the batter somewhere between the two you've tried. If you have a slow moving/tracing recipe then perhaps that would be best to use and then just sort of wait it out to the right consistency (somewhere between your other two batters). :)
Yes... the elusive Goldilocks batter! ☺

Albertina

Reaction score
I finally decided what my principal soap bar will measure and went to a local carpenter to have birch plywood cut in order to make 2 collapsable wood molds, that I will put together tomorrow. I had my youngest daughter promise to use her Pyrograph on one of the sides of the box, to reproduce my soap logo there. I am putting all my notes together in my soap book. I started shaving my last three batches that came out truly horrible. I tried out about 10 different soaps made from recomposed shavings from every different batch to test, bubbles, creaminess, lather, sliminess, washing properties.... Smelled them all, ooohed and aaahd at every different fragrance. Enjoyed the hell out of it.

PaigeL801

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooo, I am in the middle of this soap. It was actually a rescue from an attempted soap from earlier. I have a bit of time since it is quite thin. I put in a divider and did half and half white and orange. did a sort of taiwan swirl. Not quite what I expected it to look like.

Like i said, i have some time. Do I drag a skewer through it, or leave it?

View attachment 55826

ok, in 8 minutes, I got impatient LOL So I did the skewering LOL. At least the top looks good. Guess we shall see what tomorrows cut will be LOL

I went diagonal from corner to corner, still wasn't happy, so I just swirled circles all through.

View attachment 55827
Edit...not sure how the best way to cut it. The skewer went all the way to the bottom, so its not just a top swirl. Should I do it as just a single bar cut or cut it in four and see what is happening on the inside? I might do half and half.
I thought both looked great!!

Latest posts