What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you sell stencils in your shop?
She does.

My soapy thing for today was scheduling my time for my soapy endeavors over the weekend. I think I've given up making soap during the week, it doesn't seem to matter how easy my work day was, by the time I get home, mess around with supper and cleanup, I have no ambition left. So I need to make better use of my weekend time. Plan is scheduled with breaks, so as long as I get my butt out of bed on time all should go well.

This weekend's plan:
Saturday
2 batches Aloe Sea Salt & Driftwood soap (I call it Ocean because my customers are weird and if I rename it they won't buy it)
1 batch CM Lilac soap for the historical festival in June
SMF Challenge Soap
Wash dishes (lol @Zing I have to schedule it or it doesn't get done)
A bunch of random desk work including bookkeeping, video editing and website updates.
Two batches of lip balms, plus some experimental batches of sugar lip scrub
Experimental face lotion with rose water, argan oil, and frankincense
Make lye for Sunday soaps

Sunday
OMH soaps: Drakkar Noir dupe, Rosewood Musk, and Blueberry

And then taking the rest of Sunday off to clean and recover.

She does.

My soapy thing for today was scheduling my time for my soapy endeavors over the weekend. I think I've given up making soap during the week, it doesn't seem to matter how easy my work day was, by the time I get home, mess around with supper and cleanup, I have no ambition left. So I need to make better use of my weekend time. Plan is scheduled with breaks, so as long as I get my butt out of bed on time all should go well.

This weekend's plan:
Saturday
2 batches Aloe Sea Salt & Driftwood soap (I call it Ocean because my customers are weird and if I rename it they won't buy it)
SMF Challenge Soap
A bunch of random desk work including bookkeeping, video editing and website updates.

Sunday

Ooh, sounds like a busy weekend! Best of luck!

Edit before I fall asleep:
I was very disciplined today and just reworked an existing soap - the second Dutch pour from a couple of weeks ago.

i really liked the fancy part, but the slab was in a terrible state because it was the remains of the previous attempt hastily shoved into the mould as they solidified, and poked into place as much as I could with whatever came to hand.
IMG_20210326_103215.jpg

So I shaved off as much of the lumpy part as I could and re-poured new bases. I sprayed the backs of the soaps with alcohol and pushed them into the new slab. Hopefully they'll be a lot nicer now!IMG_20210326_104839.jpg IMG_20210326_155014.jpg

I used this as an excuse to try a couple of new fragrance oils too - half are coconut (accelerated like a mad thing) and half red apple (seems quite well behaved). Had to do it in two separate batches since I've only the one loaf mould...

Last edited:
I just finished making my 1st "Pine Tar" soap. I followed @DeeAnna instructions from her website classicbells.com. I used method #2. I changed up my recipe though added palm' olive oil' sodium lacate' sugar' coconut milk' beer' & a variety of EO & FO woodsy scents Only 2%. Patchouli' Leather' Cedar' Eucalyptus' Pine Needles' ( like I needed more pine scent') lol. Its getting happy tucked away in the cupboard. I thought it would began to set up fast once i mixed the lye / fats to the PT / fats but I had a little time to stir all ingredients together nicely, but the moment It started getting thick I poured it fast in the mold & yes from that point on it quickly began to set up of remainder in the bowl. Hopefully it turns out, i'll keep you posted, to be continued. 💫👍🏼🤞🏼
Update: PT Soap Pict's.
Update: PT Soap The Wonderful Bubbles from just a very small piece. also soap feels so moisturizing.

Attachments

• C2B5AFA0-E721-469A-BE6C-551CB7F0B761.jpeg
    C2B5AFA0-E721-469A-BE6C-551CB7F0B761.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 10
  • 75FFF930-AF82-45EF-964A-38AC77DAF68F.jpeg
    75FFF930-AF82-45EF-964A-38AC77DAF68F.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I just finished making my 1st "Pine Tar" soap. I followed @DeeAnna instructions from her website classicbells.com. I used method #2. I changed up my recipe though added palm' olive oil' sodium lacate' sugar' coconut milk' beer' & a variety of EO & FO woodsy scents Only 2%. Patchouli' Leather' Cedar' Eucalyptus' Pine Needles' ( like I needed more pine scent') lol. Its getting happy tucked away in the cupboard. I thought it would began to set up fast once i mixed the lye / fats to the PT / fats but I had a little time to stir all ingredients together nicely, but the moment It started getting thick I poured it fast in the mold & yes from that point on it quickly began to set up of remainder in the bowl. Hopefully it turns out, i'll keep you posted, to be continued. 💫👍🏼🤞🏼

Ooh, exciting! It's always fun to try something new, and it sounds like you handled the acceleration admirably. 😊

I just stuck a batch in the oven, my first one with fragrance oils or colour, and first attempt at CPOP! 😄 Nurture soaps Comfort and Joy scent that @rdc1978 kindly sent me, and added some coffee in half the batter for colour.
I forgot to post it! We live in a barn at the moment, and this soap manages to make the whole place smell amazing! I got a bit of ash on top, but I was very pleased overall. I used my loaf mold as a mini slab mold. I think I've mastered getting the temp right to avoid false trace on small batches.
I am soooo happy to hear that!!!! Excellent job!
Thank you again for the fragrances, I'm looking forward to trying out the others!

Attachments

• PXL_20210327_181341442.jpg
    PXL_20210327_181341442.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 19
I forgot to post it! We live in a barn at the moment, and this soap manages to make the whole place smell amazing! I got a bit of ash on top, but I was very pleased overall. I used my loaf mold as a mini slab mold. I think I've mastered getting the temp right to avoid false trace on small batches.

Thank you again for the fragrances, I'm looking forward to trying out the others!
Nice' love the color the coffee gave it. Awww Life's Little Pleasures' The Wonderful Smell Of A Newly Scented Soap. 💫🧼🤗.

I'm happy to do it. Tha ks for posting the pics. Your inaugural bars are lovely!!!!

Wait till you cut it - the inside may surprise you! I've seen several YT soapers who started with muddled soap on the outside, and ended up with gorgeous soap on the inside.

Agreed, I think the cut is supposed to be important.
I know I watched someone do a woodgrain design. I cannot remember who, and she said that giving it a bit of cure time also made the design pop. It may have been idreamofsoap on YouTube or maybe it was the soap challenge club tutorial.

She does.

This weekend's plan:
Saturday
SMF Challenge Soap

Sunday

Your gonna be busy. The Drakkar dupe scent sounds fantastic. Im interested in your face lotion experiment' keep us posted on how it turns out.

Got my order from NS today...

Bergamot and Honey
Smell the Rainbow
Oatmeal Milk and Honey
Satsuma Orange
Ylang Ylang and Amber

Believe it or not, these are all new FO for me lol. Excited to get to soaping...tomorrow, as I have night shift tonight.

I think NS heard us with the muslin bag conversation/dilema. It didn't come with an imprinted logo this time LOL. However, if the NS gods are watching, I was not impressed with my meme card this time LOL.

Yesterday I got another haul of fat from the butcher so I've been rendering more tallow. Gave him this soap I made with his tallow as a thank you, he seemed very happy with it :)
IMG_20210327_140428.jpg

Now that there's more on the way I felt ok with using the last of the previous batch so I made another attempt at the black soap that's stuck in my mind. Fingers crossed it stays black this time, and that the mica lines are clearer. I used a good bit more mica so I also hope it doesn't split at the lines 😟
Drizzled on top with 'white pearl' mica in oil which always seems to come out gold.
IMG_20210328_161840.jpg

Edit: now that's what they were supposed to look like!
IMG_20210328_190355.jpg IMG_20210328_194033.jpg

Scented with 'black linen and amber' so I'll call these 'nights in black linen'.

Last edited:
Perfect soap to make that point, Peachy! Such a pretty bar of soap.
Thank you' awww. 🤗❤️. When I make soap i'll usually have extra which I pour into oval soap mold' I found this behind my soaps covered in "Soda Ash" as I began to rub off a little I suddenly realized soap isn't a "ugly duckling" & thought i'd post. 😀💫🧼.

Sometimes "Soda Ash" can enhance the image of soap. IMHO Picture depicts this.

* I also posted a picture of my Pine Tar Soap in same link I posted yesterday' if anyone is interested *
This is such a pretty soap!

Today I got to package up some soap for the first time to use as a birthday gift for a friend! She is sensitive to fragrances, so I picked a couple of unscented bars and scribbled up some labels. She is pregnant, so added some Castile for the baby! I'm so excited, I got to try my Castile on my 7 month old for the first time yesterday too. So soft and mild

Attachments

• PXL_20210328_160246981.jpg
    PXL_20210328_160246981.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 36
I made my first ever batches of soap this weekend! A handsoap kit from WSP in Pumpkin coconut cream, and a melt and pour batch in sugared Strawberry from Nurture Soap. My home health aid came today, and took two bars of the soap and one of the bottles. She wanted to show it off to her neighbors and ask if any of them wanted to buy some. I felt bad telling her she couldn't do that since I'm not selling my soaps.

Latest posts

Back