What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a batch today. Finally. This one is shades of blue, not sure what to call it yet. I'm hoping to cut it tonight; it's already hard enough but I'd prefer to wait until it cools down completely. Apart from making soap, I've been playing with pictures, getting inspiration from a You Tuber, Kutovakika.
I call it... "Shades of Blue"!! Or maybe... Azure Mood, like the old song, "Azure". Really like the blue you've achieved and can't wait to see the cut!

violets2217

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you use any FO or EO? Clays, TD, charcoal?

Another thing that makes batter accelerate and is often overlooked, is leaving small bits of finished soap on your SB, pots, spatulas, etc. For whatever reason, finished soap accelerates your fresh soap batter. I had that trouble a lot with my old SB and some 2-piece spatulas, all of which often trapped soap in crevices that never got completely clean.
This is why I’m so confused... I forgot to add the FO. Just oil, lye and mica! Low temps....Two 3 sec bursts of the SB and 💥 medium trace! I’m thinking because it was such a small batch & It wasn’t the mica because the un-colored 4 oz accelerated the most! The same recipe with FO a few hours later took another 5 minutes to get to trace and poured great!
1FDFFFEA-D864-4DEB-BA1F-21DA290A3C67.jpeg

What did you put in lard to make it accelerate? I'd love to accelerate my lard soaps at least a bit.
It was 85% lard, 10% CO, 5% Castor. 40% lye concentration. Low temps around 90 degrees. I forgot the FO. And mica to 8 oz of the batch. The 4 oz of un-colored batter accelerated the most! So your guess is a good as mine! 😬🤪

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
@violets2217 I think you are right; the small batch size is the only thing that seems plausible at this point, unless you did have some soap residue left on your blender or utensils from the last soaping session. That does it to me sometimes, especially if I'm making one batch after another. The finished soap bits from the first batch really accelerates the next ones, unless I'm very careful about getting that SB super, super clean.

Zing

Reaction score
Well I was inspired by everyone being so impressed with my baking tin and decided to push it a bit further! I wanted to do a batch where I just lined the tin directly with a single folded sheet of paper, to take advantage of the nice square edges and avoid some of the messing around that comes with the loaf mould.

I made an EO blend with Pine, Peppermint, Eucalyptus and Lavender that reminded me of forests so I wanted to do a tree- or leaf-inspired design and found this post: Christmas Green

Just to complicate things further I wanted to try CPOP for the first time since I get partial gel every time I do a deeper batch of soap and I wanted to enhance the green colour as much as possible.

This is it just after pouring; I think the batter was still a little thin so it was a bit less controlled than I was hoping, but still fairly tree-ish:
View attachment 54459

I was a bit panicked after taking it out of the oven, it just looked like a bit gelatinous blob and I had visions of all that fiddly work going to waste:
View attachment 54460

Luckily after leaving overnight and some judicious cutting I'm pretty happy with the results:
View attachment 54461

They're kind of blobby, but undeniably tree-shaped! I'll definitely be practicing this technique some more.
These are not blobby! Quite the hating on these beautiful bars! Tell me how you like your essential oil blend. I like forest smells but pine always takes me to an antiseptic-PineSol-y place -- but I'm willing to try this if you like it.
I've had good luck with these blends:
- fir needle, rosemary, spearmint, cedarwood essential oils, and
- bergamot, eucalyptus, fir, rosemary, peppermint essential oils.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are not blobby! Quite the hating on these beautiful bars! Tell me how you like your essential oil blend. I like forest smells but pine always takes me to an antiseptic-PineSol-y place -- but I'm willing to try this if you like it.
Those blends sound gorgeous! I don't have any rosemary right now but you're making me realise I need it!

Personally I'm quite liking the blend in the soap so far, it's s nice fresh smell, but the peppermint is coming through a lot stronger than the pine, and I would boost the lavender if I made it again. My husband did say that it reminded him of floor cleaner when I mixed it first :oops: so I can't recommend it without reservations...

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you found a Rosemary EO that doesn’t smell camphory? I haven’t found one that actually smells like rosemary.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, last night I made a batch of a new recipe for the last of my mother's day soaps.

I cut one block this morning with the cheese slicer but it was very soft so I didn't want to ruin it. Problem was, it's been sitting there ever since taunting me with its one cut surface...

Just now at lunch I went to the kitchen to make a sandwich and was again distracted by the soap so I decided to try cutting it with my wire cake divider.

Truthfully, I'm in love! I don't even want to go back to work now, I just want to sit and admire this soap!

IMG_20210301_133939.jpg

The edges are a little bit jagged from my impatience, but I can fix that later with a little planning and beveling. Also I should have done the swirls closer together, I wanted them all like the ones on the bottom right, so I'll do that for next time.

All in all though, it's definitely my favourite soap I've made so far. Now just need to give it a 6 month cure :eek:

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nurture soap is making me a custom piece for the cutter I got from them for Christmas. The guide is 1/4” tall and when I cut round soap loaves (pull throughs) they get a deep gouge. I also ordered another 7.5 premium mold which I’m super excited about! I’ve been waiting for weeks for it to be in stock. Now it says another couple of weeks. *sighs*. It is NOT like I don’t have plenty to do.
I need to do less shopping and more making.

MarinaB

Reaction score
Made soap with persimmon puree yesterday.
Today I go to see a friend. My present for him.

This is why I’m so confused... I forgot to add the FO. Just oil, lye and mica! Low temps....Two 3 sec bursts of the SB and 💥 medium trace! I’m thinking because it was such a small batch & It wasn’t the mica because the un-colored 4 oz accelerated the most! The same recipe with FO a few hours later took another 5 minutes to get to trace and poured great!
View attachment 54585

It was 85% lard, 10% CO, 5% Castor. 40% lye concentration. Low temps around 90 degrees. I forgot the FO. And mica to 8 oz of the batch. The 4 oz of un-colored batter accelerated the most! So your guess is a good as mine! 😬🤪
Violets, many buyers are asking FO free soap. What kind of around mold do you use?

Attachments

violets2217

Supporting Member
Reaction score
on your blender or utensils from the last soaping session. That does it to me sometimes, especially if I'm making one batch after another
This is always a possibility... it would be my SB, but I’m usually pretty compulsive about cleaning the bell! I kills me how hard it is to get under the blade! All my spatulas and spoons are one piece silicone. I’m also thinking my house was colder than normal (one of my kid’s snuck the AC down really low!) All the variables!!!! Lol!

Violets, many buyers are asking FO free soap. What kind of around mold do you use?
I don’t sell my soaps... yet, I’m thinking about it. But anyways My daughter prefers unscented and a lot of my women friends request unscented form me. And my boys surprisingly are very pick about their soap scents and usually grab an unscented bar!
ETA: I use lined Pringle cans for my round loaf molds and I also have a few individual round silicone molds of 2oz & 3oz cavities.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you found a Rosemary EO that doesn’t smell camphory? I haven’t found one that actually smells like rosemary.
Have you checked liberty naturals for the rosemary eo? They have several varieties. Maybe even email and ask them, since there aren’t descriptions on their site. But, their EOs have been excellent quality in my experience.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT??!! Does this really happen? Is this an episode of Fantasy Island (just gave away my age there)?! This will be an exciting and stressful time, good luck on all the details and transitions! #SoapingIsCoping
As I am sure everyone saw my post but yes it does happen. A realtor wanted my rental house which I told him no. He walked into our house I bought it within literally 3 minutes. No fees, completely as-is with no inspections, commissions etc. Our house is a total fixer upper hillside home. We even had second thoughts on the price and raised the price the next day and he still agreed.

Now I might be sorry I sold off many of my supplies since my husband has promised to put up a building for my reptiles and crafts. Although I am still not sure I will get back to soaping. But who knew this was going to happen. We have talked about selling our house but did not even think we would sell it this fast.

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
As I am sure everyone saw my post but yes it does happen. A realtor wanted my rental house which I told him no. He walked into our house I bought it within literally 3 minutes. No fees, completely as-is with no inspections, commissions etc. Our house is a total fixer upper hillside home. We even had second thoughts on the price and raised the price the next day and he still agreed.

Now I might be sorry I sold off many of my supplies since my husband has promised to put up a building for my reptiles and crafts. Although I am still not sure I will get back to soaping. But who knew this was going to happen. We have talked about selling our house but did not even think we would sell it this fast.
Wow, that's exciting! And a little scary sounding. :)

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you checked liberty naturals for the rosemary eo? They have several varieties. Maybe even email and ask them, since there aren’t descriptions on their site. But, their EOs have been excellent quality in my experience.
Good to know thanks!

Ladka

Reaction score
I unmoulded the plastic toys out of solidified silicon if this is the right word for taking the toys out of the now silicon moulds. Unfortunately some have small bubbles but on the whole I quite like my new moulds. I'm goung to leave them to harden a bit more and to lose more of the odour. To me this "leave them to harden a bit more" sounds just like "leave them to cure a bit more", doesn't it?

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I unmoulded the plastic toys out of solidified silicon if this is the right word for taking the toys out of the now silicon moulds. Unfortunately some have small bubbles but on the whole I quite like my new moulds. I'm goung to leave them to harden a bit more and to lose more of the odour. To me this "leave them to harden a bit more" sounds just like "leave them to cure a bit more", doesn't it?
That sounds really interesting! My husband keeps trying to convince me we need a vacuum moulding system (we don't :rolleyes:) but I'd love to hear more about how your making your silicone moulds. Do you have a thread on it?

rdc1978

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bit off more than I could chew. Again.

I figured I could make a simple batch of loofah soap. My plan was to divide the batter into thirds color it, fragrance it and pour it at a pretty high temp (120'ish) since i wasn't doing any swirls. I figured I'd take it just to emulsion so it would be fluid.

And I also thought that at the same time I could have another batch of oils and lye water cooling to try a dancing waves pour I saw frau....someone do online (she is super talented can't remember her name). I figured that by the time I was done doing the loofah soaps the oil and lye water would be righr around 90 where I normally soap.

Needless to say, everything was a horrible fail. :(

Ladka

Reaction score
That sounds really interesting! My husband keeps trying to convince me we need a vacuum moulding system (we don't :rolleyes:) but I'd love to hear more about how your making your silicone moulds. Do you have a thread on it?
I bought a 1-kg container of a silicon intended to make moulds + a catalyzer, carefully and thoroughly blended them together and poured into prepped containers with plastic toys in them.