What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are not blobby! Quite the hating on these beautiful bars! Tell me how you like your essential oil blend. I like forest smells but pine always takes me to an antiseptic-PineSol-y place -- but I'm willing to try this if you like it.
I've had good luck with these blends:
- fir needle, rosemary, spearmint, cedarwood essential oils, and
- bergamot, eucalyptus, fir, rosemary, peppermint essential oils.
Have you found a Rosemary EO that doesn’t smell camphory? I haven’t found one that actually smells like rosemary.

Well, last night I made a batch of a new recipe for the last of my mother's day soaps.

I cut one block this morning with the cheese slicer but it was very soft so I didn't want to ruin it. Problem was, it's been sitting there ever since taunting me with its one cut surface...

Just now at lunch I went to the kitchen to make a sandwich and was again distracted by the soap so I decided to try cutting it with my wire cake divider.

Truthfully, I'm in love! I don't even want to go back to work now, I just want to sit and admire this soap!

IMG_20210301_133939.jpg

The edges are a little bit jagged from my impatience, but I can fix that later with a little planning and beveling. Also I should have done the swirls closer together, I wanted them all like the ones on the bottom right, so I'll do that for next time.

All in all though, it's definitely my favourite soap I've made so far. Now just need to give it a 6 month cure :eek:

Nurture soap is making me a custom piece for the cutter I got from them for Christmas. The guide is 1/4” tall and when I cut round soap loaves (pull throughs) they get a deep gouge. I also ordered another 7.5 premium mold which I’m super excited about! I’ve been waiting for weeks for it to be in stock. Now it says another couple of weeks. *sighs*. It is NOT like I don’t have plenty to do.
I need to do less shopping and more making.

Made soap with persimmon puree yesterday.
Today I go to see a friend. My present for him.

This is why I’m so confused... I forgot to add the FO. Just oil, lye and mica! Low temps....Two 3 sec bursts of the SB and 💥 medium trace! I’m thinking because it was such a small batch & It wasn’t the mica because the un-colored 4 oz accelerated the most! The same recipe with FO a few hours later took another 5 minutes to get to trace and poured great!
View attachment 54585

It was 85% lard, 10% CO, 5% Castor. 40% lye concentration. Low temps around 90 degrees. I forgot the FO. And mica to 8 oz of the batch. The 4 oz of un-colored batter accelerated the most! So your guess is a good as mine! 😬🤪
Violets, many buyers are asking FO free soap. What kind of around mold do you use?

Attachments

• PXL_20210301_014855864.jpg
    PXL_20210301_014855864.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 29
on your blender or utensils from the last soaping session. That does it to me sometimes, especially if I'm making one batch after another
This is always a possibility... it would be my SB, but I’m usually pretty compulsive about cleaning the bell! I kills me how hard it is to get under the blade! All my spatulas and spoons are one piece silicone. I’m also thinking my house was colder than normal (one of my kid’s snuck the AC down really low!) All the variables!!!! Lol!

Violets, many buyers are asking FO free soap. What kind of around mold do you use?
I don’t sell my soaps... yet, I’m thinking about it. But anyways My daughter prefers unscented and a lot of my women friends request unscented form me. And my boys surprisingly are very pick about their soap scents and usually grab an unscented bar!
ETA: I use lined Pringle cans for my round loaf molds and I also have a few individual round silicone molds of 2oz & 3oz cavities.

Have you found a Rosemary EO that doesn’t smell camphory? I haven’t found one that actually smells like rosemary.
Have you checked liberty naturals for the rosemary eo? They have several varieties. Maybe even email and ask them, since there aren’t descriptions on their site. But, their EOs have been excellent quality in my experience.

WHAT??!! Does this really happen? Is this an episode of Fantasy Island (just gave away my age there)?! This will be an exciting and stressful time, good luck on all the details and transitions! #SoapingIsCoping
As I am sure everyone saw my post but yes it does happen. A realtor wanted my rental house which I told him no. He walked into our house I bought it within literally 3 minutes. No fees, completely as-is with no inspections, commissions etc. Our house is a total fixer upper hillside home. We even had second thoughts on the price and raised the price the next day and he still agreed.

Now I might be sorry I sold off many of my supplies since my husband has promised to put up a building for my reptiles and crafts. Although I am still not sure I will get back to soaping. But who knew this was going to happen. We have talked about selling our house but did not even think we would sell it this fast.

As I am sure everyone saw my post but yes it does happen. A realtor wanted my rental house which I told him no. He walked into our house I bought it within literally 3 minutes. No fees, completely as-is with no inspections, commissions etc. Our house is a total fixer upper hillside home. We even had second thoughts on the price and raised the price the next day and he still agreed.

Now I might be sorry I sold off many of my supplies since my husband has promised to put up a building for my reptiles and crafts. Although I am still not sure I will get back to soaping. But who knew this was going to happen. We have talked about selling our house but did not even think we would sell it this fast.
Wow, that's exciting! And a little scary sounding. :)

I unmoulded the plastic toys out of solidified silicon if this is the right word for taking the toys out of the now silicon moulds. Unfortunately some have small bubbles but on the whole I quite like my new moulds. I'm goung to leave them to harden a bit more and to lose more of the odour. To me this "leave them to harden a bit more" sounds just like "leave them to cure a bit more", doesn't it?

I unmoulded the plastic toys out of solidified silicon if this is the right word for taking the toys out of the now silicon moulds. Unfortunately some have small bubbles but on the whole I quite like my new moulds. I'm goung to leave them to harden a bit more and to lose more of the odour. To me this "leave them to harden a bit more" sounds just like "leave them to cure a bit more", doesn't it?
That sounds really interesting! My husband keeps trying to convince me we need a vacuum moulding system (we don't :rolleyes:) but I'd love to hear more about how your making your silicone moulds. Do you have a thread on it?

Bit off more than I could chew. Again.

I figured I could make a simple batch of loofah soap. My plan was to divide the batter into thirds color it, fragrance it and pour it at a pretty high temp (120'ish) since i wasn't doing any swirls. I figured I'd take it just to emulsion so it would be fluid.

And I also thought that at the same time I could have another batch of oils and lye water cooling to try a dancing waves pour I saw frau....someone do online (she is super talented can't remember her name). I figured that by the time I was done doing the loofah soaps the oil and lye water would be righr around 90 where I normally soap.

Needless to say, everything was a horrible fail. :(

That sounds really interesting! My husband keeps trying to convince me we need a vacuum moulding system (we don't :rolleyes:) but I'd love to hear more about how your making your silicone moulds. Do you have a thread on it?
I bought a 1-kg container of a silicon intended to make moulds + a catalyzer, carefully and thoroughly blended them together and poured into prepped containers with plastic toys in them.

I made 4 batches of soap over the weekend, so tonight I get to enjoy a few minutes of zen while I bevel 72 bars of soap. Then I'll be making 3 more batches of soap, washing soap dishes, and maybe tackling a batch of lotion... we'll see how my time management goes and if I can be organized enough with my work space to keep the counter cleared off for lotion making (and all the sanitizing, ugh!)

I made 4 batches of soap over the weekend, so tonight I get to enjoy a few minutes of zen while I bevel 72 bars of soap. Then I'll be making 3 more batches of soap, washing soap dishes, and maybe tackling a batch of lotion... we'll see how my time management goes and if I can be organized enough with my work space to keep the counter cleared off for lotion making (and all the sanitizing, ugh!)
Ahhh....beveling zen....ahhhhhhhh

Cut my Rose Geranium confetti soap. It’s a really strong fragrance. Very nice.
View attachment 54609
So pretty, @KiwiMoose! Really like the delicate look of the confetti. 🥰🤩

Needless to say, everything was a horrible fail. :(
Ohh noooo. What happened?!

Latest posts

Back