What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Babyshoes

Reaction score
I tried an end piece of my first soap (from a kit) today, after 2 weeks of cure I couldn't wait any longer to see what it's like!

The scent is great, the soap lathers nicely but not excessively and my hands feel squeaky clean after use, which translates to slightly dry skin. I now realise it's a pretty high CO soap, so that isn't surprising, but I'm hoping it'll get a little milder after the full cure time.

I ordered a batch of sample size FOs a couple of days ago, which have apparently shipped but there is no indication of when they're going to arrive. I thought I was a fairly patient person, but soap has taught me that I'm not nearly as patient as I thought! Lol.

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
... two of the colours ended up getting thicker too fast,,, the EO mix for the scent: patchouli, bergamot, lemongrass and a hint of cinnamon.
Cinnamon EO contains eugenol, which will accelerate your batter and make it get thick very fast. Same with clove, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, and basil.

Something witty

Reaction score
My soapy things today/yesterday is that my mom commissioned me to make her some soaps to make for her to give to her clients (of her own unrelated business). I had made soap for her xmas gift and so I've been making little heart versions of the ones that make the most sense for others.
Yesterday I made red wine and epson salt (eucalyptus and mint fragrance) in goat milk base that I added shea butter to to counteract the alcohol (you don't cook wine first with M&P) had a few fails with this one because adding the Epsom salt has to be mixed in mold at the same time as pour at a particular temperature right before cooling otherwise they melt into the mix and you get a sludge. I painted rose gold biodegradable flakes to give the top a metallic look. I think I'll call it "me time"

The ones I just finished; Clear base, canola oil, and fragrance oil mix. Look and smell like blue ring/push pops candy that I'm sure every kid (if the 90s at least) agrees is the BEST. Since Jolly Rancher is Trademarked I'm thinking of calling it "Jelly candy" (so if I do a big version I can use more colours)?

And finally I finished a baking soda soaps scented with a frosty candy apple scent. The baking soda ones are sooooo fun to make. I have more plans and scents in the future for this one. I don't have a name.

Last one to make is my coffee one that my mom said was the fave (no pressure right) 😅

I have my boxes and bags but I still need to spray paint the boxes to look nice because they showed up with a code punched through the front panel 😒
20210227_154916.jpg

(Pictured already shrink wrapped: "jade garden" goat milk base aloe vera and essential oil blend, "Minty Mallow" goat milk base plus whipped soap base with peppermint essential oil to make a marshmallow texture)

Same here, except the fixers are going for $400k - small lots with HOA, too. Just nuts.
Some of the Land around where I live (regardless of the state of building on it) is 1Mil min per acre. If you want a house that isn't condemned your going for 1.5 million easy. Course when I say home I mean detached with 3 or more bedrooms. Townhouses and condos are still in the 500k-800k easy for the basics/small ones. At least when I last looked 4 years ago. Who knows how expensive they are now.😥

msunnerstood

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im in love with the colour I got on these! In bamboo and teak scent. I wish I had more of the poo mold. They look more like cupcake toppers. The possibilities of soap sets and I have a cone mold too.

Also. How has this thread gone on for 7 years now. So much knowledge and soaps and help and wonderful people here.
Yay! love me some poo molds. I have one with 5 cavities. So much fun

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Jersey Girl we are so glad you are here and sharing your beautiful creations with us -- even though it means that one of the three winning spots on the SMF Challenge is pretty much taken each month. 😁😘

@Mobjack Bay wowsers! Those all look great. I love the idea of using the divider mold to create straight layers that can go either direction.
I wish there was a blush emoji on the forum cause that’s what I did when I read this. Lol 😊😊😊 Thank you ♥

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I made some hilariously ugly soap...

I was trying to do a Lazy Susan swirl, but two of the colours ended up getting thicker too fast, so I have some very unfortunate brown lumpy bits in it. It's in the oven now at a super low temperature; I was hoping that it might melt and spread out a little bit but that doesn't seem to be happening. I'm kind of disappointed since I really liked the EO mix for the scent: patchouli, bergamot, lemongrass and a hint of cinnamon. I think I'll call the fragrance 'spice market'. Don't know what I'm going to do with this clown vomit though.
View attachment 54515

I also read through about half of the Soaping 101 liquid soapmaking video? thread last night and decided to give it a go, so I've spent a lot of today fretting and diluting, but I think I'm going to end up with exactly what I wanted, so that's a nice surprise! (documented at the end of that thread, for the curious)
You can alway plane the rough top off. You may be pleasantly surprised with the result when it’s cut. And remember...no matter what it looks like, it’s still soap and it’s still useful. I like to say...there is no ugly soap!

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some results from my experiments changing confetti proportions and size, as well as color schemes. I like the grey one where the confetti is 15% of the total batch weight the best. The green soap has a bit more, maybe 25% of total batch weight and seems “overcrowded”. I think a higher proportion of smaller chunks would work better at 25% confetti. The one on the right is my “exotic” color scheme and was layered using my new mold with one divider. I‘m happy enough with the layering, the proportions and the size of the confetti, but I’m not sure what I think about the contrasting colors. All of this confetti is from different parts of my first wrecked ring attempt.

View attachment 54510

ETA: I forgot to mention that all of these soaps were made at 40% lye concentration and using a lard (50%) based recipe, with the “melted” oils in the high 70F range and the lye water a bit cooler. Even though the oils were not clear when I added the lye water, there are no stearic spots apparent. BUT, the lard and CO were melted clear before I added the liquid oils - RBO and/or OO and/or HO sunflower. I avoided castor so as not to push my luck. I got bold enough to try BB’s Grapefruit Lily, a notorious accelerator, in the grey soap and had no acceleration. In comparison, I haven’t been able to produce similar results when I start my palm-based recipe with the oils below 95F or my soy wax-based recipe below 120F.
These are lovely. I am organizing a quilt for my son and wife’s first baby, friends are contributing and the colors are grey with a spot of color in the middle of each square. I had an idea to make a confetti soap as a thank you, sort of in the color scheme and pattern of the quilt. Your gray soap is inspiring me!
Here is the beginning of the quilt.
B3B5C649-55D8-4E93-9005-E548AAC3D6B3.jpeg

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
These are lovely. I am organizing a quilt for my son and wife’s first baby, friends are contributing and the colors are grey with a spot of color in the middle of each square. I had an idea to make a confetti soap as a thank you, sort of in the color scheme and pattern of the quilt. Your gray soap is inspiring me!
Here is the beginning of the quilt.
View attachment 54549
That looks great! You’re sweet to make them a quilt and clever to pick the grey/neutral background since it goes with everything. I look forward to seeing your soap :)

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cinnamon EO contains eugenol, which will accelerate your batter and make it get thick very fast.
Very good point! I only used half a gram in over a kilo of soap, but I think I was too complacent since it's the recipe I use all the time and I expected it to behave exactly the same (normally I only use lavender oil which behaves very nicely for me). I actually SB'd in the individual pots because it was too thin to start with, and that was definitely the really big mistake! Next time I'll just wait a little bit longer.

You may be pleasantly surprised with the result when it’s cut.
You're very wise :)

It's already growing on me - I was kind of aiming for a Dead Sea look and now that it's cut I'm feeling a lot better about it. The colours have also become considerably more muted, thank the stars! I'll definitely plane the lumpier ones (hiding at the back left there) but I'm sort of liking the landscapey look of the others.
IMG_20210227_205200.jpg

penelopejane

Reaction score
One of my favourite fragrances has been discontinued so I got 5 samples to test for a replacement. I was making a soap so just reserved some of the batter. Perfect. I mixed in the FOs to small cubes of the batter. Wasn’t until later that I realised that the charcoal soap won’t allow me to see if the FOs discolour! 😫😫😫

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some results from my experiments changing confetti proportions and size, as well as color schemes. I like the grey one where the confetti is 15% of the total batch weight the best. The green soap has a bit more, maybe 25% of total batch weight and seems “overcrowded”. I think a higher proportion of smaller chunks would work better at 25% confetti. The one on the right is my “exotic” color scheme and was layered using my new mold with one divider. I‘m happy enough with the layering, the proportions and the size of the confetti, but I’m not sure what I think about the contrasting colors. All of this confetti is from different parts of my first wrecked ring attempt.

View attachment 54510

ETA: I forgot to mention that all of these soaps were made at 40% lye concentration and using a lard (50%) based recipe, with the “melted” oils in the high 70F range and the lye water a bit cooler. Even though the oils were not clear when I added the lye water, there are no stearic spots apparent. BUT, the lard and CO were melted clear before I added the liquid oils - RBO and/or OO and/or HO sunflower. I avoided castor so as not to push my luck. I got bold enough to try BB’s Grapefruit Lily, a notorious accelerator, in the grey soap and had no acceleration. In comparison, I haven’t been able to produce similar results when I start my palm-based recipe with the oils below 95F or my soy wax-based recipe below 120F.
Love your soap' beautiful! thank you so much for your soaping temp's & process. 🧼💫👍🏼

I‘ve been planning to make a wood box for my new silicone mold, but I’ve only gotten so far as to sketch it out on the plywood. Here’s the interim solution I came up with to keep the sides of the mold straight.

View attachment 54552
Brilliant Idea' Love the Heart Shape Design In Your Soap! 🧼💫

Martha

Reaction score
My soapy thing has been catching up on about a month of posts here. Missed you guys. Been feeling Covid crappy and haven’t done much of anything. I don’t have Covid. Just the low-level angst we are all dealing with.

And a giant smooch to whichever amazing person suggested putting the jar of EO into the soap mold! Forgetting the fragrance has been my number one problem lately.

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried an end piece of my first soap (from a kit) today, after 2 weeks of cure I couldn't wait any longer to see what it's like!

The scent is great, the soap lathers nicely but not excessively and my hands feel squeaky clean after use, which translates to slightly dry skin. I now realise it's a pretty high CO soap, so that isn't surprising, but I'm hoping it'll get a little milder after the full cure time.

I ordered a batch of sample size FOs a couple of days ago, which have apparently shipped but there is no indication of when they're going to arrive. I thought I was a fairly patient person, but soap has taught me that I'm not nearly as patient as I thought! Lol.
Thats awesome. also it's so hard to be patient! you're not alone. 😃🧼🤗💫

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I‘ve been planning to make a wood box for my new silicone mold, but I’ve only gotten so far as to sketch it out on the plywood. Here’s the interim solution I came up with to keep the sides of the mold straight.

View attachment 54552
Love it! Hmmmm now to dig out that massive box of LEGO I have stored somewhere. 😂

Ladka

Reaction score
My soapy thing today is making moulds using silicone compound and plastic toys for forms.
I'd like to have various moulds to make soap bars for my grandchildren soft enough to be able to unmould easily. The plastic the toys are made of is rather rigid and my first attempts were difficult to unmould and some soap bars came out broken.
I'm on the point of pouring silicone just now - wish me luck!

Latest posts