What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading your post is eye opening. We are also moving, although not as soon as you because we are buying a new house (yet to be built), but our housing market here is ridiculously good also - there are people buying homes in our development sight unseen for a great price. My husband thinks we should sell early, since it is a sellers market, but our house won't be ready until late fall and we obviously have to live somewhere. That means packing and moving twice, I don't know if I can do that! Anyway, where in the country do you live Alioop? We live in South Florida on the Treasure Coast.
A few weeks ago I was house hunting. I would go look at like six at a time...everywhere from near me to near you, then tell the realtor the next day what I liked, and she would tell me that all the houses I looked at the day before were already under contract. This happened over and over. It is crazy how fast everything is going here. Fixer-uppers are selling close to $200k. It's insane. People are on a buying frenzy.

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
I ”borrowed” a rubber scraper from the kitchen last week. Now my eggs taste like vetyver FO. Do not recommend. Blech!
I need more scrapers. I have a bunch that suck. Do you have ones you recommend?
These are my favorite:

They are rigid, no crevices to collect gunk, no threat of the silicone end coming off, clean up easily, and can take a beating.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are my favorite:

They are rigid, no crevices to collect gunk, no threat of the silicone end coming off, clean up easily, and can take a beating.
Thank you for this suggestion. I am going to buy them. I get it with being frugal and all, but I have purchased spatulas from the dollar store, and they served me well, but they have ridges and are a pain to clean. Plus the rubber comes off when I am washing them. These look like what I want.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I was inspired by everyone being so impressed with my baking tin and decided to push it a bit further! I wanted to do a batch where I just lined the tin directly with a single folded sheet of paper, to take advantage of the nice square edges and avoid some of the messing around that comes with the loaf mould.

I made an EO blend with Pine, Peppermint, Eucalyptus and Lavender that reminded me of forests so I wanted to do a tree- or leaf-inspired design and found this post: Christmas Green

Just to complicate things further I wanted to try CPOP for the first time since I get partial gel every time I do a deeper batch of soap and I wanted to enhance the green colour as much as possible.

This is it just after pouring; I think the batter was still a little thin so it was a bit less controlled than I was hoping, but still fairly tree-ish:
IMG_20210224_204148.jpg

I was a bit panicked after taking it out of the oven, it just looked like a bit gelatinous blob and I had visions of all that fiddly work going to waste:
IMG_20210224_213107.jpg

Luckily after leaving overnight and some judicious cutting I'm pretty happy with the results:
IMG_20210225_093616.jpg

They're kind of blobby, but undeniably tree-shaped! I'll definitely be practicing this technique some more.

Babyshoes

Reaction score
Well I was inspired by everyone being so impressed with my baking tin and decided to push it a bit further! I wanted to do a batch where I just lined the tin directly with a single folded sheet of paper, to take advantage of the nice square edges and avoid some of the messing around that comes with the loaf mould.

I made an EO blend with Pine, Peppermint, Eucalyptus and Lavender that reminded me of forests so I wanted to do a tree- or leaf-inspired design and found this post: Christmas Green

Just to complicate things further I wanted to try CPOP for the first time since I get partial gel every time I do a deeper batch of soap and I wanted to enhance the green colour as much as possible.

This is it just after pouring; I think the batter was still a little thin so it was a bit less controlled than I was hoping, but still fairly tree-ish:
View attachment 54459

I was a bit panicked after taking it out of the oven, it just looked like a bit gelatinous blob and I had visions of all that fiddly work going to waste:
View attachment 54460

Luckily after leaving overnight and some judicious cutting I'm pretty happy with the results:
View attachment 54461

They're kind of blobby, but undeniably tree-shaped! I'll definitely be practicing this technique some more.
Definitely tree shaped, they are very cool!

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
Thank you for this suggestion. I am going to buy them. I get it with being frugal and all, but I have purchased spatulas from the dollar store, and they served me well, but they have ridges and are a pain to clean. Plus the rubber comes off when I am washing them. These look like what I want.
I buy the majority of my supplies from the Dollar Store as well. I also bought these to scrape out squeeze bottles. I’m not a fan of using plastic packing sleeves as inserts because they are a pain.

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy the majority of my supplies from the Dollar Store as well. I also bought these to scrape out squeeze bottles. I’m not a fan of using plastic packing sleeves as inserts because they are a pain.
If you ever see something like this, buy it! THE best thing for scraping out jars and bottles. This is one of my favourite kitchen tools.

20210226_081530.jpg 20210226_081548.jpg

Ladka

Reaction score
Went to a hobby&art market 30 km away (which is much for a single shopping for me) and bought things I've been longing to buy: more EO's and FO's, silicone mouldmaking compound for more moulds to make soap bars for my grandsons (and the granddaughter), some colouring agents that are not explicitely for CP but have proved to behave well, and also some candle making materials. Besides - the sun is shining and life looks so interesting and charming LA VITA E BELLA 🙃

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I was inspired by everyone being so impressed with my baking tin and decided to push it a bit further!

Fantastic! Thanks very much for posting your experiment, complete with pics. Yes, indeed, those are trees! 😍

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for butting in, lol. Not @Misschief but I found several on Amazon like this. Search mini bottle/jar scraper.

Thanks Jersey Girl! I got mine in a local kitchen store. My former mother-in-law bought me one years ago when she visited the Netherlands and I was heartbroken when it broke.

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jersey Girl! I got mine in a local kitchen store. My former mother-in-law bought me one years ago when she visited the Netherlands and I was heartbroken when it broke.
You’re welcome. Thank you for sharing the idea with us. It’s going on my loooooong list of must haves! 😁

Adobehead

Reaction score
I made soap a couple of days back... Been so busy just now was able to take pics. Here are the bars that show the most contrast lol the rest are just meh..
View attachment 54339
HP triple butter (shea, Cocoa and mango) and avocado oil, colored with manjistha/madder infusion and TD in 3 amounts/shades. You will be able to see stearic spots, air bubbles and even glycerin rivers in this soap hehehe

The camera, screen or the sun is weird today lol it's more pink than salmony in real..

Used my new(ish) 20 bar mold and holy c*** it was heavy... Very difficult to do my usual smacking n banging and it took forever to fill lol
very funky groovy, I like it!

Spacemom

Reaction score
Im in love with the colour I got on these! In bamboo and teak scent. I wish I had more of the poo mold. They look more like cupcake toppers. The possibilities of soap sets and I have a cone mold too.

Also. How has this thread gone on for 7 years now. So much knowledge and soaps and help and wonderful people here.

Attachments

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love them too' I found them at the dollar store too👍🏼💫

violets2217

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted to try out some new fragrance and mica so made a couple more shampoo and conditioner bars! Lol! The mica is Material Girl and fragrance is Persephone’s Kiss, both from Nurture Soap, love them both!

I’m twiddling my thumbs waiting for my WSP order I placed the 14th and it’s still not shipped...

Thinking about trying a rimmed round soap. I might try the kiss pour for the rimmed soap... shouldn’t be too hard!! Lol! Not!

I just need my order to get here!!!
AFA645A8-DAF7-4F3A-B455-F53BC0D037FA.jpeg