What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished getting sample FOs ready for pouring, now need to prepare a test batch of batter. I HATE doing samples because my hands are really shaky and it is a PITA to do them one at a time, I have to pour in/pour out/pour in/pour out, seemingly ad infinitum, to get the right teeny amount in. During which time the batter is thickening, I am getting frustrated and time-pressed, etc.

For me it is much less stressful to do a bunch in advance and then when it's time to pour and mix I can just dump the FO in to each little testing cup. I learned this from an smf member, soapmaker145, who did an amazing amount of testing/posting.

Here's their testing procedure post for anyone that's interested (on post #174): https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/fragrance-buddy-fo-test.56966/page-9

The little tubes and stand cost about $13.00 together on Amazon US.
Thank you for sharing this! I love the idea of using little tubes for preparing the fragrance.
I am also one who hates disposable anything, especially plastic waste. But there is a time and place for these. As Relle noted, you can wash them.

When I use them for larger FO/EO bottles, I actually use a rubber band to secure the pipette to that bottle, so I can resuse it for the same scent. You could do the same for the tester bottles for which you decide to order larger quantities.
Great idea with banding the pipettes to the fragrance bottle. I love using pipettes but hate the plastic waste too. I think I have some glass pipettes with rubber tops that I might be able to wash. 🤔

When I use them for larger FO/EO bottles, I actually use a rubber band to secure the pipette to that bottle, so I can resuse it for the same scent. You could do the same for the tester bottles for which you decide to order larger quantities.
Having trouble visualizing this, but I’m very interested in understanding. Anyone have a photo to share? TIA

Having trouble visualizing this, but I’m very interested in understanding. Anyone have a photo to share? TIA
Just lay the pipette against the bottle and secure it with a rubber band, just so it doesn't get lost and gets used for the same bottle, it's only to store it, nothing more.It's not used over the mouth of the bottle, you just put it in and pull up the -FO.

Not really soapy but last week I completed a five day photography course - aimed at Etsy sellers and specifically for using smart phones. I learned some things, mostly that I need a better setup for my photos, which I’m working on. Taking soap photos is a stressor for me, I never get what I envision, colors always seem off, always takes me way too long, waaah, waaah, waaaaah... But now I sort of know what I don’t know.
So many skills to owning a soap business!

1000024575.jpg

I think I have some glass pipettes with rubber tops that I might be able to wash. 🤔
Most of them are pretty short, so you do have to tilt the bottle to reach the stuff inside. This can be a pain (and quite the spill risk), especially with larger bottles.

Also, it is really importantly to completely rinse out not just the glass tubes, but also the rubber tops of those after each use. The EO will eat right through them - ask me how I know. ;)

Even with regular rinsing, I find that the rubber tops fail pretty quickly due to even brief reactions with EOs or FOs. Too bad, because I have tons of them from some vitamins that we regularly buy.

Most of them are pretty short, so you do have to tilt the bottle to reach the stuff inside. This can be a pain (and quite the spill risk), especially with larger bottles.

Also, it is really importantly to completely rinse out not just the glass tubes, but also the rubber tops of those after each use. The EO will eat right through them - ask me how I know. ;)

Even with regular rinsing, I find that the rubber tops fail pretty quickly due to even brief reactions with EOs or FOs. Too bad, because I have tons of them from some vitamins that we regularly buy.
It depends on the pipettes. I bought some of these from Amazon a while back; they're almost 8" long and glass.

61MJTsQeEVL._SX522_.jpg

Ooooo @Misschief those look great! I've not thought about buying them as I was trying to use the ones that came with our vitamin bottles. Have you had any issues with the rubber tips degrading due to contact with EOs or other strong substances?
Not at all. Whatever I'm drawing up never really gets that high up the tube. The only issue I've had so far is at the tip end. It's quite fine and that can be a weak point. I've had one break at the tip. Apart from that, though, no other complaints. They're lab grade.

Back