What soapy mistake have you made today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummm... not sure if it's in the same context as a 'mistake' but... I un-molded and cut my very first hanger swirl batch. Now I want to make more which means ordering micas and going even more broke! Oooh! Pretty colors!

on a trip away from home and forgot to take the latest batch of goat milk soap out of the freezer...oh well. i guess it'll have to sit there for a few days until i get back.

This morning making a batch of soap for my granddaughter's birthday (thank goodness it's at the end of August) well, my soap turned ORANGE, no idea why, unless it's the FO, but it never happened before with this FO (White Chocolate Black Raspberry). I dumped the whole batch I was so frustrated. b:headbanging:

Now I am out of palm oil and I can't find the recipe that my friend from Australia sent me using PKO.

If this morning is any indication of how my day will go, I want to go back to bed, but I just got a call and I've got an appt in less than an hour and I need to get out of the library and get home for a quick shower and get dressed in clean clothes.

All I wanted to do was make a pretty pink soap, I think I will try again another day and go play in the garden. Hopefully I won't have problems there!!

This morning making a batch of soap for my granddaughter's birthday (thank goodness it's at the end of August) well, my soap turned ORANGE, no idea why, unless it's the FO, but it never happened before with this FO (White Chocolate Black Raspberry). I dumped the whole batch I was so frustrated. b:headbanging:

Now I am out of palm oil and I can't find the recipe that my friend from Australia sent me using PKO.

If this morning is any indication of how my day will go, I want to go back to bed, but I just got a call and I've got an appt in less than an hour and I need to get out of the library and get home for a quick shower and get dressed in clean clothes.

All I wanted to do was make a pretty pink soap, I think I will try again another day and go play in the garden. Hopefully I won't have problems there!!

Hmmmm! Did you use milk in your recipe? Milks can turn soap orange but I believe it is temporary. Did you use any colourants?

Too bad you threw it away, the colour might have returned to normal and even if not, I'm sure it would have still been good soap!

Added a 'cp safe pigment', expecting green... came out purple. Well, at least it's just for me.

One word, just one: volcano! :headbanging: fortunately, I got it into the freezer before it started over flowing the mold. So now it just has a hump in the middle of it with an ugly crack down the center.

The guard, or teeth on my stick blender are plastic. After a long stir in hot oils, I laid the blender down on it's side instead of standing it upright. The now soft teeth deformed inward and stayed that way once the plastic cooled. On my next blending session, the blade chipped small fragments of white plastic throughout my soap!

Did you use ROE in the oils? If you use ROE, the batter will "blush" orange when you add the lye water. The orange color is only temporary, and the soap will revert back to its normal color. The orange "blush" usually fades by the time the batter is ready to pour, but I've had it last well after the batter has been poured and put to bed. My scale went wonky, and I overdosed my oils with ROE that time. It was an uncolored unscented batch. Even so, the soap reverted back to it's normal color.

I accidentally used all my kitchen rubber scrapers on my soap. I guess I'm going shopping this weekend!

As far as the rubber spatulas, I would not use them after soaping with them either. I think the logic is that being rubber, they are porous...so to be on the safe side, I have utensils like that strictly for soap only. All of my plastic soap bowls, measuring cups, lye pitcher etc are clearly marked soap only and kept in my soaping area

Now, stainless steel some say they would reuse for cooking. I don't use stainless for soaping, so have not done so myself.

I normally keep my soaping stuff away from my kitchen stuff, but I am trying to sneak in a few batches for an upcoming wedding, so I didn't take the time to completely clean my kitchen up before soaping. I was unloading the dishwasher between soaping things and somehow set them on counter, forgot about them, and then used them! My bowls and pitchers are marked and now I think I should write on the handles too. Or put duct tape on the end. Over the next year I'm hoping to fix up an unfinished part of the basement (right next to the bathroom) I am hoping to do all my soaping there except melting oils and mixing the master batch of lye. We have a thousand projects going on so truthfully my "over the next year" probably means we might start working on it next summer! lol

I used to soap in my kitchen too. But we have an empty rental in our duplex home and well....for the last 8 years it has been empty (our choice, I just don't want to have close tenants anymore) and I turned that kitchen into my soap and candle area years ago LOL. Hubby has been harping on me about getting it rented again, we could rent it for 1200/month easy....I'm dragging my feet (I'm a real estate agent). Don't wanna! Plus, where the heck will I put my soap/candle stuff?????? I have 2 upper cabinets filled with FO!!!!! LOL
In 2 years he is retiring and we are moving out of this state, so what''s the point in renting it out now? That's my philosophy haha.

I'm LOL at your "over the next year" thing. Sooooo understand that. We started doing some renovations next door in that duplex. Got lots of stuff done, new bathroom flooring, ripped up the carpet....stripped old wallpaper in sunporch. So, last summer I started painting the sunporch.....still haven't finished it. Still have trim to paint LOLOL. Hubby said to hire a painter at this point. I'm the painter of the house. He hates it....and I figure...what's the rush? No tenants lol. I will do anything to keep him from renting it....so I don't have to move my soap supplies ;)

I used to soap in my kitchen too. But we have an empty rental in our duplex home and well....for the last 8 years it has been empty (our choice, I just don't want to have close tenants anymore) and I turned that kitchen into my soap and candle area years ago LOL. Hubby has been harping on me about getting it rented again, we could rent it for 1200/month easy....I'm dragging my feet (I'm a real estate agent). Don't wanna! Plus, where the heck will I put my soap/candle stuff?????? I have 2 upper cabinets filled with FO!!!!! LOL
In 2 years he is retiring and we are moving out of this state, so what''s the point in renting it out now? That's my philosophy haha.

I'm LOL at your "over the next year" thing. Sooooo understand that. We started doing some renovations next door in that duplex. Got lots of stuff done, new bathroom flooring, ripped up the carpet....stripped old wallpaper in sunporch. So, last summer I started painting the sunporch.....still haven't finished it. Still have trim to paint LOLOL. Hubby said to hire a painter at this point. I'm the painter of the house. He hates it....and I figure...what's the rush? No tenants lol. I will do anything to keep him from renting it....so I don't have to move my soap supplies ;)

haha. But think of all the soap supplies you could buy in the next couple years with that rent money! ;)

I don't know if I really call this a miatake exactly, since it was a 16 oz test batch for a new fragrance, so I knew anything was possible. It's a discoloring FO, so I separated the batter and added AC to the scented portion, and a color to the plain. I poured it slab-fashion into my 32 oz mold. I was just olanning on running a skewer around in it for a little but of a swirl. The FO portion thickened up more than the unscented, and I ended up with clumps of scented batter that wouldn't swirl. I'm not sure what it will look like tomorrow.

I forgot to mix my TD with water and dumped unsifted, dry TD directly into my hot process batch. I was making a fancy red and white swirly so I was moving fast, too fast :(. Now I have little specks of powdery white dots in my pretty bright red and white swirly soap. Side note....they smell amazing!

Mixing a dual lye soap (yes, giving it another try) measures NaOH but not enough KOH in masterbatch. So I made a new KOH masterbatch but FORGOT to add it to the soap. I now have a 6.5% SF Castile. Thank goodness I started with a low SF..oh well it will be interesting to try it! :cry:

Ugh! I just cut my beautiful feathered mantra swirl soap wrong. Should have been a horizontal cut, and I cut it vertically. Seriously? I was so excited for the cut and now I must start over. Shoot! (but not really because that means I get to soap again). The soap gremlins are at my house, so soap away, everyone! You're safe for now!

OH do I LOVE this thread!!!!
I made many mistakes too I do M & P and I ALWAYS forget to take the temperature so I pour to fast and my colors will blend together so guess what the nice blue and red will end up being purple and then its confused with my lavender soap, they ALWAYS end up purple!! My boyfriend as the patience to wait and he does nice swirls and me... PURPLE grrrr....
I will change my nick name to purplecharm soon... oh well that is my most comon mistake but all in all I slip, trip, drop and spill almost everything and everytime... Who knew that soap making was such a dangerous and hasardeous hobby!:eh:

On Friday I accidently tested Kevin Dunn's experiment about soaping with a 50% lye solution. I forgot the coconut milk I'd made last night in the fridge upstairs that I usually put in my oil. The soap went from emulsion to seize in about 20 seconds. I mixed it the best I could and plopped it into the mold.

Very gingerly I did a zap test on Sunday - no problem! Now I don't want to do this again but I'm glad in a way that it happened.

Back