What soapy mistake have you made today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hoping the photos work

And then this is what I rebatch it into

image.jpg

Well I made my first boo boo I was making a rainbow melt and pour

Loaf and I was about half way through well hubby shouted me to come eat the

Dinner he had made me so I left it and came back to it

Well I must have forgot my rubbing oil ! It turned out amazing too but

Fell apart sadly I was gutted as it was my first try at this and it could have been so good

The first pic u can just see what it could have been like

The second pic is what I've made it into cross fingers

So you made m & p but the layers didn't stick?
Why didn't you keep the colours separate and just m & p again?

I have heard of Yuzu Candle FO and have friends who have tried it and like it in CP. I will try Yuzu Satsuma. Thank you.

I have bought 6 FOs and really aren't in love with any. Not too impressed with The Perfect man so far (which going by reviews was going to be a star!) : (

Am about to do another frugal buy. I will let you know how they go. Make sure you put your reviews on the FO review chart on this site to help others but also to remind yourself which ones you hated. :mrgreen:

I thought I was the only one hating The Perfect Man :)
To me it smells like really cheap/nasty cologne lol.
My boys prefere Aussie bamboo grass.

I was over having 1kg soap that doesn't smell right looong time ago. I now buy tiny samples of FO and try them in individual soaps.
If they fade and I like them, I still keep them around and use in MP sometimes. In case I'm really crazy about it.
I got about 10x15ml FOs from Kodys candles and I'm planning on testing them soon. There are quite few NG FOs I've never tried and I was really excited when I realised haha.
I also believe that suppliers don't post many negative feedback. It's mostly good or excellent.

I thought I was the only one hating The Perfect Man :)
To me it smells like really cheap/nasty cologne lol.
My boys prefere Aussie bamboo grass.

I was over having 1kg soap that doesn't smell right looong time ago. I now buy tiny samples of FO and try them in individual soaps.
If they fade and I like them, I still keep them around and use in MP sometimes. In case I'm really crazy about it.
I got about 10x15ml FOs from Kodys candles and I'm planning on testing them soon. There are quite few NG FOs I've never tried and I was really excited when I realised haha.
I also believe that suppliers don't post many negative feedback. It's mostly good or excellent.

Yes that's how The Perfect Man smells to me too.
Made soap today, forgot FO so annoyed I tipped it out mixed in FO and poured again saving a tiny bit to add My last remaining TD to to add a bit of a swirl.
So very very annoyed at myself. Can't even remember which scent I used because I haven't written it in my soap diary yet. . Lemon grass I think.

I buy 30g testers for 1000g soap. It makes about 10 bars and I need all those to test!

Last edited:
I was making coffee soap and made a fresh cup of joe to add to my lye. Because the coffee was hot, I put everything in the sink in case there was a volcano when I added the lye. I poured in the lye ... no volcano. Good! So I put the containers on the counter and stirred the lye / coffee mixture. Instant volcano! lye solution and coffee all over the counter, but luckily not too much got on the floor. I learned to let the coffee cool before adding the lye, and also the lye solution will disintegrate the sponge used to wipe it up so stick to paper towels! I made another batch of (cold) coffee and lye, and the resulting soap went beautifully.

Thought to myself, "liquid soap doesn't volcano as high as the bar soap, the small crockpot should be plenty big enough".

And....

It wasn't.

Soap batch #2 cooking in the big crockpot.

How does 80% of the batch crawl out of the crockpot in 10 minutes? Impressive really....

I made a 4 color soap today and as usual, I ended up spooning, not pouring into mold. 90% of my swirls end up thickening to the point where I am glopping the seized soap into mold. They always come out fine, but I'd love to experience pouring into mold more than 10% whenever I swirl! I even cut back on OO and replaced with sunflower which is slow to trace. :-( HELP! Recipe: OO, Coconut, Palm, Sunflower.

I made a 4 color soap today and as usual, I ended up spooning, not pouring into mold. 90% of my swirls end up thickening to the point where I am glopping the seized soap into mold. They always come out fine, but I'd love to experience pouring into mold more than 10% whenever I swirl! I even cut back on OO and replaced with sunflower which is slow to trace. :-( HELP! Recipe: OO, Coconut, Palm, Sunflower.

If you post your recipe and process we would be happy to help you troubleshoot.

I almost had my first soap-on-a-stick! I was trying to be too fancy with a fragrance I had never used before. After adding the FO, it stayed at a lovely, loose trace. I turned around to get my mold and when I turned back, it was like jello! No swirls today, but I got it into the mold!

SBd too much. AGAIN!! That is the flippin' story of my life. I think I'm going to throw that away and just do it by hand from now on. No, I'm not. I'm too lazy. But oh my gosh... That spoon swirl I was planning ended up being a blend-everything-in-the-mold-with-a-spoon-until-it-is-a-uniform-shade-because-doing-a-spoon-swirl-just-moves-the-big-clumps-from-one-location-to-another swirl. AND, the fragrance oil (Cannabis Flower from Natures Garden) which was supposed to be on the strong side, wasn't. I had a one ounce sample. The instructions on NG said 5% usage rate as maximum, so that should have been 50 gm. I had 36 gm. I used it all and can't smell a darned thing. I've got to remember to NEVER buy a one ounce sample of anything again. Or, just make sure I do a 500 gm batch and not a 1000 gm batch. I did get to use my neon green from NG, though. Yep. It's green, but you've got to use a lot of it. I don't think I'll be using NGs neons. They're premixed and only 1 oz for about $4. Not worth it to me, especially since you've got to SB them to incorporate them into the batter and the last thing I need to do is more SBing. I'm trying to decide if I want to go for another batch of soap while I wait for Game of Thrones to come on, or if I want to watch an episode or two of Wentworth. So hard to de....Wentworth it is!!
I usually soap all fo's other than spices at 6%. If you check NG's IFRA doc you will find it can go to 7%

Why is the first thread I come to the mistake thread???:-? :)

Nothing like carefully measuring out your fragrance oils for the batch you are going to split.... prepping the batter... putting in the mica... everything is going well. Then, something says "sniff that" right before you dump the FO in the nicely colored batter. ARG!!!! Wrong color!!!! No, lavender soap should NOT be orange!

Cue quick dash into FO storage area to snag an appropriate FO...luckily I needed that one anyway.

*sigh*. Well, at least I realized it before dumping it in. And I have a small enough funnel to put the other oil back into the bottle until next batch.

Note to self: Do not have all the colors within reach...just take out the one you will use!!!

:evil::evil:

Time to bring this back up - I made a cp batch with a floral fo and knew it would maybe speed things up a bit. Didn't really soap colder than usually and ended up with one big soap shaped like my soaping bucket! Quick plop in to a saucepan and in to the oven for a quick save :)

https://instagram.com/p/BIlCZaYAqso/

I`ll bet it will be lovely all the same. And I adore Lilly of the valley, it always reminds me of where I grew up. I barely see them nowadays...

Do you find it sticks well in your soaps after the cure, or does it fade? I am on the lookout for a good lilly of the valley scent that will stick and smells authentic.

I`ll bet it will be lovely all the same. And I adore Lilly of the valley, it always reminds me of where I grew up. I barely see them nowadays...

Do you find it sticks well in your soaps after the cure, or does it fade? I am on the lookout for a good lilly of the valley scent that will stick and smells authentic.

From the scent it is lovely. As for the staying power I will keep you updated, but I did have to throw it in the oven with the scent so it's not really a fair test as some of it could have suffered in the heat of cooking

From the scent it is lovely. As for the staying power I will keep you updated, but I did have to throw it in the oven with the scent so it's not really a fair test as some of it could have suffered in the heat of cooking

Yeah, that is true. But if it sticks ok after that "heat treatment", at least you know it is a keeper.

Yes, please let me know how it turns out, thanks!

Well I cut them this evening and it smells nice. It's not over powering and to be honest it smells like HP soap at the moment more than it smells of LotV. I am hoping that with some time the soapy smell will fade (was 80% lard!) and the FO will start to hit through more.

Back