What soapy mistake have you made today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mistake

Typing with my middle finger because I wasn't careful about cleaning the stick blender. There was just that liiiiiittle bit of soap up in there. That blade cut through my chemical glove like butter and right into my finger. Sadder but wiser. Soap was fine, just spattered with blood.

Tried to add water to a batch that was A'ing too quickly and ended up creating cpop'd toxic soup in a soap shell. Lesson learnex. You can't fight the A and win!

Typing with my middle finger because I wasn't careful about cleaning the stick blender. There was just that liiiiiittle bit of soap up in there. That blade cut through my chemical glove like butter and right into my finger. Sadder but wiser. Soap was fine, just spattered with blood.

I've sliced both index fingers in the same week from accidental contact with the planing razor. Even though it has a safety block. And I was using gloves and washcloth to avoid contact. That blade is so sharp it will cut you for looking at it wrong.

I've apparently lost 4 oz of fo. Rosemary Mint. I ordered it back in February and I don't remember being shorted it. I checked the invoice and it says it shipped. But I'll be darned if I can find it now!

I can't keep my hands off poured soap. If I could change one thing that would be it. I will wake up at 3AM to cut the soap. I did it again with a white soap with embeds. I love the soaps look and had I left it alone it would have been much better.

Yep

I can't keep my hands off poured soap. If I could change one thing that would be it. I will wake up at 3AM to cut the soap. I did it again with a white soap with embeds. I love the soaps look and had I left it alone it would have been much better.

I have to take it down from the closet shelf, sniff it, turn it over, take its temperature. I'm like that with the bath bombs to, even though I know I shouldn't touch them for 24 hours.

Two mistakes today: after a bad night's sleep decided I would make soap anyway. (I'm still trying to conquer this soaping slump!) because I had the house to myself. But got sidetracked laundry, garden, re-organizing soap supplies (good grief I washed the bottles of fo!) and by 4:00 I was tired and grumpy - that's always an invitation for gremlins, right?

But made soap anyway. Decided to put the pot on the scale and measure each oil directly into it. After the lard, I forgot to remove the spoon from the pot. Funny how there was a lot of leftover lard still in the precisely measured package from Fannie and Flo. Oh well. Tared the scale and went on measure the oils.

Saw the spoon. Said a bad word. Stared at the pot trying to figure out what the heck to do but the cobwebs in my brain slowed me down.. Finally realized it had to be only the lard that was mis measured. Weighed the stupid spoon. Added its weight in lard. And what do ya know...that's why there was so much leftover lard in the package!

Very excited about how I expect this one to turn out though, TS mold, Sweet orange chili pepper, 4 colors, first time using Nurture really red. It was more pink purple than I liked, so added red vibrance to tone it down. Now I just wait to cut it!

!

I made a Lavender mint cpop today and when I took it out of the oven, I noticed a large pool of oil on top! This has never happened to me before so I suspect that I had a false trace or it overheated and separated. I would like to re-batch it but I don't know if I need to wait until it hardens (if it will even do so) or hot process it immediately????

Grrr.... I dropped part of my stick blender on the floor before getting started soaping. When I turned it on, it sounded fine but pumped incredible amounts of air bubbles into my batter. I guess I'll be on the hunt for a new tool. No more Cusinarts for me... I dropped it from about 2 feet onto a wooden floor. There is no way it should have broken from that height.

SBd too much. AGAIN!! That is the flippin' story of my life. I think I'm going to throw that away and just do it by hand from now on. No, I'm not. I'm too lazy. But oh my gosh... That spoon swirl I was planning ended up being a blend-everything-in-the-mold-with-a-spoon-until-it-is-a-uniform-shade-because-doing-a-spoon-swirl-just-moves-the-big-clumps-from-one-location-to-another swirl. AND, the fragrance oil (Cannabis Flower from Natures Garden) which was supposed to be on the strong side, wasn't. I had a one ounce sample. The instructions on NG said 5% usage rate as maximum, so that should have been 50 gm. I had 36 gm. I used it all and can't smell a darned thing. I've got to remember to NEVER buy a one ounce sample of anything again. Or, just make sure I do a 500 gm batch and not a 1000 gm batch. I did get to use my neon green from NG, though. Yep. It's green, but you've got to use a lot of it. I don't think I'll be using NGs neons. They're premixed and only 1 oz for about $4. Not worth it to me, especially since you've got to SB them to incorporate them into the batter and the last thing I need to do is more SBing. I'm trying to decide if I want to go for another batch of soap while I wait for Game of Thrones to come on, or if I want to watch an episode or two of Wentworth. So hard to de....Wentworth it is!!

SBd too much. AGAIN!! That is the flippin' story of my life. I think I'm going to throw that away and just do it by hand from now on. No, I'm not. I'm too lazy. But oh my gosh... That spoon swirl I was planning ended up being a blend-everything-in-the-mold-with-a-spoon-until-it-is-a-uniform-shade-because-doing-a-spoon-swirl-just-moves-the-big-clumps-from-one-location-to-another swirl. AND, the fragrance oil (Cannabis Flower from Natures Garden) which was supposed to be on the strong side, wasn't. I had a one ounce sample. The instructions on NG said 5% usage rate as maximum, so that should have been 50 gm. I had 36 gm. I used it all and can't smell a darned thing. I've got to remember to NEVER buy a one ounce sample of anything again.

I didn't want to click like on this post because I hate it when it happens to me. I look at it and think yes that is just on emulsion. Should I do a little bit more... Disaster. Big sign now posted on the wall. SB to emulsion only!
I don't think hand blending would get it even enough.

I think the 1 oz are great. If you hate it you haven't wasted to much oil and if you can't smell 1 oz in 2.5 lb of batter then I never want to use it again anyway.

I have discovered it is a good idea to find someone who likes a scent you do and follow their reviews. This gives you a better idea of scents you might like as well since they obviously live on the same planet, unlike so many of the other scent reviewers.

I didn't want to click like on this post because I hate it when it happens to me. I look at it and think yes that is just on emulsion. Should I do a little bit more... Disaster. Big sign now posted on the wall. SB to emulsion only!
I don't think hand blending would get it even enough.

I think the 1 oz are great. If you hate it you haven't wasted to much oil and if you can't smell 1 oz in 2.5 lb of batter then I never want to use it again anyway.

I have discovered it is a good idea to find someone who likes a scent you do and follow their reviews. This gives you a better idea of scents you might like as well since they obviously live on the same planet, unlike so many of the other scent reviewers.

Oh great and wise one, thank you for this sage advice! It never occurred to me to do this. And the perspective on 1 oz samples is brilliant; it would take way too much FO to give a good scent if 1 oz isn't enough for a 2.5 lb batter. Right now just playing around and finding things out, I'm not "too" worried about costs. However, since I eventually plan on doing this as a business (only six years 'til retirement!), I will want to keep costs down as much as possible.

I'm starting a list of FOs that I'm definitely going to want to purchase in large bottles. Yuzu Satsuma is the first one on the list. I actually decided to start the list after I soaped with it. That stuff is yummy!!

Oh great and wise one, thank you for this sage advice! It never occurred to me to do this. And the perspective on 1 oz samples is brilliant; it would take way too much FO to give a good scent if 1 oz isn't enough for a 2.5 lb batter. Right now just playing around and finding things out, I'm not "too" worried about costs. However, since I eventually plan on doing this as a business (only six years 'til retirement!), I will want to keep costs down as much as possible.

I'm starting a list of FOs that I'm definitely going to want to purchase in large bottles. Yuzu Satsuma is the first one on the list. I actually decided to start the list after I soaped with it. That stuff is yummy!!

I have heard of Yuzu Candle FO and have friends who have tried it and like it in CP. I will try Yuzu Satsuma. Thank you.

I have bought 6 FOs and really aren't in love with any. Not too impressed with The Perfect man so far (which going by reviews was going to be a star!) : (

Am about to do another frugal buy. I will let you know how they go. Make sure you put your reviews on the FO review chart on this site to help others but also to remind yourself which ones you hated. :mrgreen:

Fragrance oils

Also, I've found that there are some fo suppliers that refuse to publish negative reviews of their product, and a few don't publish any reviews at all. That's why I think your fo review sheet is a wonderful resource.

Not a calamitous affair

BUT...

I keep adding colorant to a small sample of oils I've already heated that include not-liquid-at-room-temp-oils... GRrrrrr... so I end up having to do the microwave waltz while I'm stick blending to reconstitute the colorant oil sample...

I dropped my SB while making coffee soap. Soap batter flew all over the kitchen walls, making for no small task to clean up while praying the batter in the bucket wouldn't get too thick.

Well I made my first boo boo I was making a rainbow melt and pour
Loaf and I was about half way through well hubby shouted me to come eat the
Dinner he had made me so I left it and came back to it
Well I must have forgot my rubbing oil ! It turned out amazing too but
Fell apart sadly I was gutted as it was my first try at this and it could have been so good
The first pic u can just see what it could have been like
The second pic is what I've made it into cross fingers

Well I made my first boo boo I was making a rainbow melt and pour
Loaf and I was about half way through well hubby shouted me to come eat the
Dinner he had made me so I left it and came back to it
Well I must have forgot my rubbing oil ! It turned out amazing too but
Fell apart sadly I was gutted as it was my first try at this and it could have been so good
The first pic u can just see what it could have been like
The second pic is what I've made it into cross fingers
hoping the photos work

image.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back